Booked Carnival Dream have a few questions

TXBBQDUDE

First of all I apologize I know some of these have been answered but the search feature on this board leaves a lot to be desired.  My wife and I are not first time cruisers but first time to Carnival.  We know the jest of things but I have a few specific questions I was hoping to get answered.  We are booked on the Carnival Dream April 14th 2019.  We are both excited to try a new ship and are sure we can make a great vacation out of it.  I am a drinker but my wife is not so we do not get the drink package but may get the bubbles pack.  

1. (Wine Questions) I will take two bottles of wine with us.  These will be mainly for dinner will the MDR store my wine for me overnight like on Royal and Disney?  I understand there is a cork fee is that still in effect if I open the wine in my room and take the bottle with a cork in to the MDR? <-- this one is not a big deal.  I will always purchase more wine in the dining room I hear that they have a wine package for dinner is there a limit to how many bottles are purchased in a package.

2. (Liquor Questions)  If I purchase the bubbles package can I make my own mixers with the soda i get for free?  I would purchase a bottle from the fun shop preboarding.  Do they give you a special cup for the bubbles package?  If not can i take my own tumbler?  Will they fill my tumbler at the bar/shop with the bubbles package? (will not take any of my Royal Tumblers)  

3. (MDR Questions)  My wife and I enjoy eating with people what is the best way to request this for the cruise?  I know we are in the minority but feel it is part of the cruise experience.  Can you order more than one item like we do on the other line if we cant make up our mind?  What time is the Sea Day Brunch and is it in the MDR?  Love the idea of a brunch over the wake up early to eat breakfast at the MDR on the other line.  We are not big buffet people. 

4. (Show Questions)  Is it hard to make the shows with the late dining time?   Any shows that are must see?  Is the Quest show the same Quest show that is on the other cruise line?<-- our favorite show of the week.  

5. (Dream Question)  What must we do or see on the Dream?  I have found a few things online but most of them just mention food.  

6.(Last Question)  Any advice from people who have done both Royal and Carnival on what we should expect?  I will preface this with that we are very open to the new experience and are looking forward to the trip.  We are not the have to be fancy type to have a good time.  But looking at pictures of the boat I don't know what is not fancy about it.       

Thanks in advance and Laissez les bon temps rouler! <-- I am a Texan transplanted in Louisiana 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TXBBQDUDE said:

First of all I apologize I know some of these have been answered but the search feature on this board leaves a lot to be desired.  My wife and I are not first time cruisers but first time to Carnival.  We know the jest of things but I have a few specific questions I was hoping to get answered.  We are booked on the Carnival Dream April 14th 2019.  We are both excited to try a new ship and are sure we can make a great vacation out of it.  I am a drinker but my wife is not so we do not get the drink package but may get the bubbles pack.  

1. (Wine Questions) I will take two bottles of wine with us.  These will be mainly for dinner will the MDR store my wine for me overnight like on Royal and Disney?  I understand there is a cork fee is that still in effect if I open the wine in my room and take the bottle with a cork in to the MDR? <-- this one is not a big deal.  I will always purchase more wine in the dining room I hear that they have a wine package for dinner is there a limit to how many bottles are purchased in a package.  If you take your bottle into the MDR (open or unopened), they will charge the corkage fee.  Yes, they will be happy to store the opened bottle for you and bring it out again whenever you request.  If you would rather avoid the corkage fee, simply pour out the wine into glasses and take those into the MDR.

2. (Liquor Questions)  If I purchase the bubbles package can I make my own mixers with the soda i get for free?  I would purchase a bottle from the fun shop preboarding.  Do they give you a special cup for the bubbles package?  If not can i take my own tumbler?  Will they fill my tumbler at the bar/shop with the bubbles package? (will not take any of my Royal Tumblers)  You can bring your own tumbler or purchase one.  They are not provided with BB.  They will be happy to fill those for you at the bars.  Yes, you can use the soda as a mixer for your own liquor 🙂

3. (MDR Questions)  My wife and I enjoy eating with people what is the best way to request this for the cruise?  I know we are in the minority but feel it is part of the cruise experience.  Can you order more than one item like we do on the other line if we cant make up our mind?  What time is the Sea Day Brunch and is it in the MDR?  Love the idea of a brunch over the wake up early to eat breakfast at the MDR on the other line.  We are not big buffet people. If you would like to be seated with other people, simply visit the Maitre d' on the first day during the posted hours and request to do so.  Chance are, you will have already been seated with others, but this way you can make certain.

4. (Show Questions)  Is it hard to make the shows with the late dining time?   Any shows that are must see?  Is the Quest show the same Quest show that is on the other cruise line?<-- our favorite show of the week.  Typically, they will have multiple shows so that persons with early and late dining can enjoy them.  I never miss the comedy!  Can't answer about Quest on other lines, on Carnival it is an "adult" scavenger hunt (racy!).

5. (Dream Question)  What must we do or see on the Dream?  I have found a few things online but most of them just mention food.  If you can get a spa pass, it is well worth the cost.  We loved the t-pool and heated loungers.

6.(Last Question)  Any advice from people who have done both Royal and Carnival on what we should expect?  I will preface this with that we are very open to the new experience and are looking forward to the trip.  We are not the have to be fancy type to have a good time.  But looking at pictures of the boat I don't know what is not fancy about it.       

Thanks in advance and Laissez les bon temps rouler! <-- I am a Texan transplanted in Louisiana 

See my answers in red above.

If you are spa people, look into the spa pass. The Dream has a wonderful spa with the thalosso pool, heated tile loungers, and steam rooms you can access with the spa pass. I never thought I was a spa person, but that Tpool changed my mind!! 

If you like pasta, the pasta bar is open at lunch in the upstairs Lido area and is never busy until later in the cruise. They make your pasta based on your order, my hubby loves it. 

Like another poster said, they have 2 shows per night of the Playlist productions so that both dinner seatings can see them.  America Rocks and Flick are awesome! 80s Pop to the Max is pretty good too. Motor City isn’t my type of music but others said it was good. 

3 hours ago, TXBBQDUDE said:

3. (MDR Questions)  My wife and I enjoy eating with people what is the best way to request this for the cruise?  I know we are in the minority but feel it is part of the cruise experience.  Can you order more than one item like we do on the other line if we cant make up our mind?  What time is the Sea Day Brunch and is it in the MDR?  Love the idea of a brunch over the wake up early to eat breakfast at the MDR on the other line.  We are not big buffet people. 

If you want to eat with strangers I recommend Your Time Dining - that way you could get a mix of different people each time. Given your concerns about shows this would also provide you more flexibility there. You can order as many of anything as you like. Someone in my group almost always ends up getting like 4 appetizers and no one blinks an eye. Sea Day Brunch is in the dining room yes but it might not be in the exact same spot.

1 hour ago, CoW mAn said:

If you want to eat with strangers I recommend Your Time Dining - that way you could get a mix of different people each time. Given your concerns about shows this would also provide you more flexibility there. 

My take on this is the opposite. We've been seated at an open table and the staff seemed to be waiting for the table to fill up with others before taking our order. After 15 mins of waiting we asked that our orders be taken and they obliged. As we were finishing our appetizers one other couple was seated with us at a table for 6. We decided in future not to do this option again and it works better for us this way. YMMV

Booking this late My Time Dining already has a waitlist.  I am sure we could talk our way into it once we get on the ship but why hassle with it.  I enjoy having the same waitstaff every night as well it is part of the charm of cruising.    

Re the Wine Packages -- Usually there are 2 --  a 3 wine package and a 5 wine package. We usually do the 5 wine. They have a lower cost package and a higher cost package (better wines). You will get a coupon with 5 tickets and you choose your wine and write it on the coupon and give it to your wait staff in the MDR. If you don't finish it, you can leave it for the next night or take it with you back to your room. Enjoy your wine.  🙂

We have done both RCCL and CCL and love both of them.  I feel the food is better on CCL and I recommend trying the steak house.  If you like comedy I also prefer that on CCL but get there early to get in line because it will fill up fast and there are no reservations.

Quest can be a blast, been to ones that are really raunchy and others that are more tame, saw lots of people just hanging out and watching too.  

We we loved the Dream and also recommend getting a spa pass (on sale now)  to enjoy that area more.  

Hope you have a great trip !

Have been on the Dream several times.  Great ship!

Spa cabins are nice, even if you aren't "spa people."  We had them on our last Dream cruise, but, with kids, we never visited the spa.  They are higher on the ship and very quiet.

Alchemy Bar is a great place to hang out.  Really nice cocktails and entertaining bartenders.  Later in the evening, Promenade has nice outdoor seating that gets fairly quiet as the night wears on.

We don't do the buffet, either.  The MDR is nice, and I would encourage you to splurge one evening (we always do it the last night) and book the steak house.  It really is rather good.  Don't book it on a "formal" night --  you'll miss out on some of the better food in the MDR.

Seaday brunch is good.  We've spent 2.5 hours in the MDR for brunch before, just enjoying the views and the Bloody Marys.

@TXBBQDUDE, I just realized that I forgot to answer your other questions about the MDR.  

You can order as much as you would like.  Want 3 apps and 2 entrees, go for it!  Don't forget that you can order off the kids menu as well (a ton of people love the banana splits).  

Sea day brunch is, as the name suggests, only on sea days.  If I remember correctly, it starts at about 7:30 and goes until about 1:30.  Eat there twice or more on the same day, if you wish 🙂  Port days and debarkation day, the MDR is open for breakfast.  All of the times will be listed in the Fun Times.

Don't forget to hit up Guy's Burgers, Guy's BBQ (sea days only), and all of the other non-buffet foods on the Lido deck.  Lots of great food option on the Dream 🙂

Just off the Dream last Sunday, the Sea Day Brunch was 8 AM till 1 PM in the Scarlett restaurant lower lever.  We went on both sea days and requested a table by the window both times (we were obliged).  If you like to sit with and meet new people at dinner ask your TA to request a large table (8-10 people) for you at your assigned dining time.  This way there will be 3-4 other couples seated with you.

On embarkation day got to the Pasta Bella for lunch (deck 11, up the stairs from the dessert bar), this way you get a sit down meal and don't have to hunt for a table.  The rest of the buffet food will be there for the rest of the week.

Enjoy, we had a great time on the Dream and love the Dream class of ships (we have been on the Magic 3 times).

It seems like most people have your questions covered. I had a co-worker go on a cruise on the Magic this week (same class of ship) and I sent her a list before she left. It might be helpful to you.

1. Deck 5 is a great place to read. There are hot tubs in the center of each side. And if you prefer to be in the shade, you can just switch sides of the ship and always be in the shade. My wife is fair skinned so we hang out there a lot.
  2. The tides pool will sometimes be adult only (unwritten rule). Depends on how many kids. Will probably be less crowded than serenity
  3. The BBQ Pig and Anchor is on deck 5 and will be open on sea days and also on embarkation day (for free I mean). It’s open every night for extra $
  4. You can also eat at Cucina del Capitano for free at lunch time every day. (Early in the week, not everyone will realize that.)
  5. Check out the sea day brunch, steak and eggs is excellent
  6. Also on sea day, Jiji’s Asian kitchen is open for free lunch
  7. You can go to the very front of the ship to watch sail away on decks 6,7,9,10,11. Referred to as secret decks a lot of the time.
  8. There is a mystery coin that you can look for from when the ship was originally commissioned (hint: deck 14)
  9. You can order 12 pack of water for $4.50
  10. You can carry-on 750ml bottle of wine and a 12 pack of sodas/red bull. (carry-on only)
  11. If you want you can carry-on all of your luggage, we do. Have to be forceful with porters. Just look at the size restrictions. But our biggest rollers carry-on just fine.
  12. Take an European adapter if you want to use all the power outlets
  13. You can use a usb filled with videos, if you want your own shows or whatnot. You’ll need a universal remote to change input on the tv.  
  14. If you get the cheers package, it includes specialty coffee and/or milkshakes.
  15. If you  like Mexican, you can get arepas and huevos rancheros for breakfast from Blue iguana. Also, at lunch you can get a bowl burrito. Also, if I get fries from guys, I go to the topping bar at blue iguana
  16. If you didn’t get a spa room,  you can purchase spa access separately. Day or week pass. The thalassotherapy pool is a highlight of the ship. I highly recommend at least a day pass. (You can pre-purchase if you want.)
  17. Download the carnival hub app before you leave. If you want texting, without paying for internet, you can message through the app for $5 for the week. Works fine, as long as you leave the app open. Also you can see the days itinerary, menu and pictures on the app.
  18. If you have assigned dining and have a special request. Like combining bookings or window seat, you can email the concierge now and get your request in. I think you can also request the chef’s table. MCmaitred@carnival.com
  19. Same for steakhouse reservations, their email address is MCsteakhouse@carnival.com (just include your booking number and last name)
  20. Suction cup hooks and/or command hooks are good for the shower. Haven’t used this one, but heard it mentioned to use one of these for shaving legs.

More reading you might like:

JimZim's B2B Review on the Breeze (same class)

What is your favorite cruise "hack"? (the whole thread is gold, but this chica had some good stuff)

Carnival Magic (MC) Staterooms and Ship Features (travel agents site that carnival maintains, everything you’d ever want to know about the ship)

Edited by five.

Five...wonderful helpful information!

We will be on the Dream for the first time over the holidays celebrating our 55th anniversary with our 7 grandchildren. They are so excited. They are mid-teens to young adults. They have all cruised with us separately and are so excited to be going all together! It is special treat for us too!

I plan to write and ask for a table for 9...we have late seating. Is email address for the dream DRmaitred@carvinal.com.  I have seen it somewhere before on CC.

Edited by cwn

On 2/15/2019 at 10:44 AM, five. said:

It seems like most people have your questions covered. I had a co-worker go on a cruise on the Magic this week (same class of ship) and I sent her a list before she left. It might be helpful to you.

1. Deck 5 is a great place to read. There are hot tubs in the center of each side. And if you prefer to be in the shade, you can just switch sides of the ship and always be in the shade. My wife is fair skinned so we hang out there a lot. This is specific to Dream class, but I believe there are two hot tubs on each side.  Please correct me if this is incorrect. 
  2. The tides pool will sometimes be adult only (unwritten rule). Depends on how many kids. Will probably be less crowded than serenity
  3. The BBQ Pig and Anchor is on deck 5 and will be open on sea days and also on embarkation day (for free I mean). It’s open every night for extra $ This is only on Horizon for specialty dining.  On Horizon, it is "Guy's Pig and Anchor Smokehouse and Brewhouse" (which took the place of Redfrog).  On Dream, there is only the "Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ" which is open on embarkation day and sea days from 12-2:30.
  4. You can also eat at Cucina del Capitano for free at lunch time every day. (Early in the week, not everyone will realize that.) This is on Breeze and later.  On Dream, the second deck of the Lido Marketplace has the same pasta bar but it's called "Pasta Bella" instead of "Captain's Pasta Bar" (the latter is in Cucina but the former is just the pasta bar). 
  5. Check out the sea day brunch, steak and eggs is excellent
  6. Also on sea day, Jiji’s Asian kitchen is open for free lunch Jiji's is only on Vista class, Dream does not have this.
  7. You can go to the very front of the ship to watch sail away on decks 6,7,9,10,11. Referred to as secret decks a lot of the time. I love these, perfect for sail aways.
  8. There is a mystery coin that you can look for from when the ship was originally commissioned (hint: deck 14)(hint #2: water slides) 
  9. You can order 12 pack of water for $4.50
  10. You can carry-on 750ml bottle of wine and a 12 pack of sodas/red bull. (carry-on only)
  11. If you want you can carry-on all of your luggage, we do. Have to be forceful with porters. Just look at the size restrictions. But our biggest rollers carry-on just fine.
  12. Take an European adapter if you want to use all the power outlets
  13. You can use a usb filled with videos, if you want your own shows or whatnot. You’ll need a universal remote to change input on the tv.  
  14. If you get the cheers package, it includes specialty coffee and/or milkshakes.
  15. If you  like Mexican, you can get arepas and huevos rancheros for breakfast from Blue iguana. Also, at lunch you can get a bowl burrito. Also, if I get fries from guys, I go to the topping bar at blue iguana
  16. If you didn’t get a spa room,  you can purchase spa access separately. Day or week pass. The thalassotherapy pool is a highlight of the ship. I highly recommend at least a day pass. (You can pre-purchase if you want.)
  17. Download the carnival hub app before you leave. If you want texting, without paying for internet, you can message through the app for $5 for the week. Works fine, as long as you leave the app open. Also you can see the days itinerary, menu and pictures on the app.
  18. If you have assigned dining and have a special request. Like combining bookings or window seat, you can email the concierge now and get your request in. I think you can also request the chef’s table. MCmaitred@carnival.com
  19. Same for steakhouse reservations, their email address is MCsteakhouse@carnival.com (just include your booking number and last name)
  20. Suction cup hooks and/or command hooks are good for the shower. Haven’t used this one, but heard it mentioned to use one of these for shaving legs.

More reading you might like:

JimZim's B2B Review on the Breeze (same class)

What is your favorite cruise "hack"? (the whole thread is gold, but this chica had some good stuff)

Carnival Magic (MC) Staterooms and Ship Features (travel agents site that carnival maintains, everything you’d ever want to know about the ship)You cannot link TA sites here. 

Some of this only applies to Vista Class/Horizon, therefore I made corrections in red.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:49 AM, jakesnana said:

Just off the Dream last Sunday, the Sea Day Brunch was 8 AM till 1 PM in the Scarlett restaurant lower lever.  We went on both sea days and requested a table by the window both times (we were obliged).  If you like to sit with and meet new people at dinner ask your TA to request a large table (8-10 people) for you at your assigned dining time.  This way there will be 3-4 other couples seated with you.

On embarkation day got to the Pasta Bella for lunch (deck 11, up the stairs from the dessert bar), this way you get a sit down meal and don't have to hunt for a table.  The rest of the buffet food will be there for the rest of the week.

Enjoy, we had a great time on the Dream and love the Dream class of ships (we have been on the Magic 3 times).

Going on the dream at the end of March and looking to catch a 10:55am flight home in Sunday after the cruise. Don’t have FTTF or platinum. What time were you off the ship? Is this doable? Thanks! 

25 minutes ago, WeBeCruisinMon said:

Going on the dream at the end of March and looking to catch a 10:55am flight home in Sunday after the cruise. Don’t have FTTF or platinum. What time were you off the ship? Is this doable? Thanks! 

March could have lots of fog on the river, taking longer to get to NOLA from the Gulf, which is normally 6-8 hours.  

On 2/13/2019 at 10:41 AM, TXBBQDUDE said:

1. (Wine Questions) I will take two bottles of wine with us.  These will be mainly for dinner will the MDR store my wine for me overnight like on Royal and Disney?  I understand there is a cork fee is that still in effect if I open the wine in my room and take the bottle with a cork in to the MDR? <-- this one is not a big deal.  I will always purchase more wine in the dining room I hear that they have a wine package for dinner is there a limit to how many bottles are purchased in a package.

2. (Liquor Questions)  If I purchase the bubbles package can I make my own mixers with the soda i get for free?  I would purchase a bottle from the fun shop preboarding.  Do they give you a special cup for the bubbles package?  If not can i take my own tumbler?  Will they fill my tumbler at the bar/shop with the bubbles package? (will not take any of my Royal Tumblers)  

4. (Show Questions)  Is it hard to make the shows with the late dining time?   Any shows that are must see?  Is the Quest show the same Quest show that is on the other cruise line?<-- our favorite show of the week.  

5. (Dream Question)  What must we do or see on the Dream?  I have found a few things online but most of them just mention food.  

This forum will surely help but this is why I always recommend using a PVP that can answer all your questions and help you make the right selections at the time of booking.  If you booked on line call and ask for a pvp .   Enjoy your cruise.

18 hours ago, WeBeCruisinMon said:

I am not sure I would chance such an early flight out of NOLA. With that flight time you would need to arrive at the airport by 9:30 and even the self-assist people didn't start leaving until around 8. They started at the top decks and worked their way down. The regular disembarkation started around 8:45. IF there is any fog on the river (which is a common problem), you could be "up the river without a paddle". When we did this sailing, I recommended to my clients to not make any flight arrangements before noon, and that would be my advice to you also, sorry.

On 2/19/2019 at 4:21 PM, Allura_317 said:

Some of this only applies to Vista Class/Horizon, therefore I made corrections in red.

Thanks for the time to correct some of the mistakes I had. I believe goccl is allowed to be posted here. I've seen it in a lot of posts. It's not really a TA site. It's open to the public and maintained by Carnival. It's just one that TA's use.

1. (Wine Questions) I will take two bottles of wine with us.  These will be mainly for dinner will the MDR store my wine for me overnight like on Royal and Disney?  I understand there is a cork fee is that still in effect if I open the wine in my room and take the bottle with a cork in to the MDR? <-- this one is not a big deal.  I will always purchase more wine in the dining room I hear that they have a wine package for dinner is there a limit to how many bottles are purchased in a package. My husband and I bring our two bottles on have never been charged a cork fee. We bring a cork screw on with carry on and open ourselves before going to dinner and just bring it with us to dining room or we when we have forgotten to bring cork screw, we ask our stewart to bring us one to use before going to MDR. You can buy the package of 5 bottles per person. So you could recieve 10 bottles. You are allowed to bring home any unopened bottles.

(Liquor Questions)  If I purchase the bubbles package can I make my own mixers with the soda i get for free?  I would purchase a bottle from the fun shop preboarding.  Do they give you a special cup for the bubbles package?  If not can i take my own tumbler?  Will they fill my tumbler at the bar/shop with the bubbles package? (will not take any of my Royal Tumblers) Yes you can make your own but will have to go to bar to get the soft drink. You are not allowed to bring your liquor bottle out of your room. No special cup. You can bring one and they will fill them. They do sell souvenir cups with some drinks that have cheaper refills.

3. (MDR Questions)  My wife and I enjoy eating with people what is the best way to request this for the cruise?  I know we are in the minority but feel it is part of the cruise experience.  Can you order more than one item like we do on the other line if we cant make up our mind?  What time is the Sea Day Brunch and is it in the MDR?  Love the idea of a brunch over the wake up early to eat breakfast at the MDR on the other line.  We are not big buffet people. We also love the experience of dining with others in MDR. Seating arrangements are usually done this way unless you request to be alone or if you state that it is a celebration. Brunch is on sea days until 1:00pm. They ask you if you want to be seated with others or alone. We are also not buffet people, but the deli is very good.

4. (Show Questions)  Is it hard to make the shows with the late dining time?   Any shows that are must see?  Is the Quest show the same Quest show that is on the other cruise line?<-- our favorite show of the week.  We are not big in the shows, but prefer the live music. Our last Dream cruise was in 09/18 and the live music on board was AWESOME

5. (Dream Question)  What must we do or see on the Dream?  I have found a few things online but most of them just mention food.  Tour the ship! It is an excursion on the last sea day, but it needs to be booked as soon as you board. We also enjoyed the Chef's Table and I am a picky eater. The experience is one of a kind and is different on each ship even though the menu can be the same.

6.(Last Question)  Any advice from people who have done both Royal and Carnival on what we should expect?  I will preface this with that we are very open to the new experience and are looking forward to the trip.  We are not the have to be fancy type to have a good time.  But looking at pictures of the boat I don't know what is not fancy about it.  I have done one RCC and 7 CCL. The main difference I saw was that RCC seems more elegant  and has a mature atmosphere. By this I mean a less party hardy anything goes atmosphere. Even the children on the RCC were better behaved. It has been our experience that you can get away from the screaming rowdy children and adults if you want to . Obviously, we rather like a fun party atmosphere. We choose not to bring our teenage son because we go for our Anniversary. 

On 2/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, WeBeCruisinMon said:

We got off the Dream on 2/17 and they started called self assist at 7:15.  I believe we were docked at 5:30.  It's a gamble if you are willing to take it.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:41 AM, TXBBQDUDE said:

We have been on many cruise lines and we were shocked how great the food is on the Dream. Everything was nice and comparable to RC.  

The Clue game was a lot of fun on the ship.