MSC Virgin Charter to Barbardos - baggage

Chip28

We are flying to Barbados to join the Preziosa in April and the flights are included.  As this is a three week cruise I wanted to take an extra case (which I have often done before)  and for which Virgin charge £65 (online or at check in).  We are now told by MSC that as this is a charter flight with Virgin, MSC will charge £140 at the airport for an extra case!  This doesn't make sense - it is a Virgin plane with Virgin air crew and baggage handlers and I was assured by Virgin that they would only charge £65.  Has anyone else paid for an extra case and if so how much were you charged?

Thanks for your help.

Been advised by several other posters that Virgin are not involved in anything other than chartering the plane to MSC and providing flight crew.  Everything else is down to MSC rules ie, no online checkin, baggage weights and sizes etc.  We are on the same flight and hope to do twilight checkin on 1st April but even for that, you apparently report to the MSC desk first before going onto check in for the flight and get your sest assignment.  However I think the rules MIGHT be different if you have upgraded to Premium Economy 🤔

Hope this Virgin charter flight is better than our BA charter to join Poesia in 2017.  That was dire with couples being split up in the plane, inedible food and filthy loos after just a couple of hours ☹️

Edited by Dorset Cruiser
Addition

10 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I can't help with luggage costs but I would say it would be more economical to book a laundry package. 

Totally agree.  Where can you get a shirt or dress washed, dried and ironed for less than £1 and delivered back to your cabin within 24 hrs.

20 hours ago, Dorset Cruiser said:

.............. you apparently report to the MSC desk first before going onto check in for the flight and get your seat assignment. 

Your seat assignment will have been allocated before you arrive at the desk, so arriving early or late will make no difference and that also applies to the Twilight checkin.  

3 hours ago, jody75 said:

Your seat assignment will have been allocated before you arrive at the desk, so arriving early or late will make no difference and that also applies to the Twilight checkin.  

Is that right?  Has it happened on your flights?  Have to say never happened on any charter flight we have taken and it didn’t happen on the BA charter to join Poesia in 2017 .  Its usually first come, first served.   Not worried if seats are assigned before the day (as long as we sit together, lots of couples were split up on BA and it caused a lot of bad feelings).  Will hopefully use twilight bag drop to get rid of suitcases to save time on the day.  Then we can enjoy our breakfast without rushing 🙂

5 hours ago, Dorset Cruiser said:

Is that right?  Has it happened on your flights?  Have to say never happened on any charter flight we have taken and it didn’t happen on the BA charter to join Poesia in 2017 .  Its usually first come, first served..................... 🙂

Check out the most recent Preziosa Cruise Review (by Tellaw - January 2019).  The poster highlights the same problem - couples being seated apart.

We are on the next Preziosa sailing out of Barbados and will do the twilight check in for the Virgin/MSC Charter flight tomorrow, so hope we get a say in choice of seats, maybe wishful thinking.

7 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Just Checked in, all seats are pre assigned with no option to change.

You have too take what you are given, no debate.

Seems crazy that MSC can't organise that those on the same booking get to be seated on the flight together.

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Have to wonder how they deal with a couple where one of them is a Deaf person and cannot hear announcements and they are separated ? 

I have very bad hearing even with two hearing aids and dread being separated from my husband as he is my extra ears.  He protects me hearing wise and I protect him from being bashed about by passing trollies as he is very prone to bad bruising on his arms.  I always take the aisle seat.  Keeping my fingers crossed for April - its a long way to Barbados, luckily we are only flying one way.

if they are pre-assigned, why can’t we be told in advance what the seat numbers are?

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

12 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Just Checked in, all seats are pre assigned with no option to change.

You have too take what you are given, no debate.

Did you get to sit together, and were you able to do a bag drop the night before?

48 minutes ago, rattla said:

Did you get to sit together, and were you able to do a bag drop the night before?

Mickey89 said above they did Twilight check in 5-9pm and sat together.

I have just checked Virgin flight status and flight 609 is delayed from 10.05 till 11.30 so landing at 4 pm will make everything a bit of a rush in Barbados

We were assigned good seats, upper deck both together - if we ever get on the plane.

Last night Premier Inn had major evacuation, fire alarm. Everyone on the street, some in PJ’S. Was a nightmare, it took over 45 mins to get out of hotel, if it had been for it would have been a disaster. Hotel has no sprinkler system, god help if it ever happens for real. 

Now this morning Virgin flight delayed leaving Barbados, latest update maybe 11.30 take off. 

On 2/16/2019 at 2:09 PM, Dorset Cruiser said:

Been advised by several other posters that Virgin are not involved in anything other than chartering the plane to MSC and providing flight crew.  Everything else is down to MSC rules ie, no online checkin, baggage weights and sizes etc....

We just returned from the most amazing 14 nights in Preziosa YC. We self booked flights, and had 2 nights in Barbados pre-cruise. Most everyone else from the UK, certainly in the YC, were on the MSC chartered Virgin flight and confirmed that MSC were in control of boarding/check-in etc. In that regard, I would advise the OP that it is highly likely the MSC rate quoted for additional luggage is likely to be correct, rather than the 'normal' Virgin rate!