President’s Day sale. But already booked. What to expect

dcsam

We’re already booked for a December cruise.  Today I see the President’s Day sale applies for our cruise.  I think it could save us a bit of money.  I called our TA, but she’s not in until Monday.  Any ideas what they might be able to do for us? Will we have to cancel and rebook?  Any penalties doing that?  Final payment isn’t until September.  

Thanks much!

Thanks!  As of now, there’s loads of space.  We did get an OLife perk when we originally booked (we opted for the shipboard credit).  Other than that, there weren’t any other promotions going when we booked.  Hopefully, our TA can work a bit of magic on Monday.  We’re booked in a B3 category and would like to keep our cabin if at all possible (ada for my husband).  If we had to change, I think I’d stay with what we’re currently booked at and skip the sale. 

11 minutes ago, dcsam said:

Thanks!  As of now, there’s loads of space.  We did get an OLife perk when we originally booked (we opted for the shipboard credit).  Other than that, there weren’t any other promotions going when we booked.  Hopefully, our TA can work a bit of magic on Monday.  We’re booked in a B3 category and would like to keep our cabin if at all possible (ada for my husband).  If we had to change, I think I’d stay with what we’re currently booked at and skip the sale. 

If there are other B3 cabins available you should be able to keep your cabin and O Life.

FWIW, OBC is not the most economically prudent option of O Life, generally speaking. What do you intend to use the OBC for?

Edited by Paulchili

Thanks for the information.  I’ll post the outcome.  I don’t know what we’ll spend the money on - probably a couple massages.  Our TA is providing the gratuities. My husband doesn’t drink and we don’t do ship tours, so shipboard credit seems best. 

1 hour ago, dcsam said:

Thanks for the information.  I’ll post the outcome.  I don’t know what we’ll spend the money on - probably a couple massages.  Our TA is providing the gratuities. My husband doesn’t drink and we don’t do ship tours, so shipboard credit seems best. 

If you don’t drink much and don’t do ship tours then book the “cruise only fare” (with or without the air) - no O Life and pay for massages/drinks as you go. The OBC you would get is non-refundable and you would have to spend it or lose it. You can cancel the O Life w/o penalty and save on the fare and pay as you go for things you will buy (drinks, tours, massage,etc).

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

If there are other B3 cabins available you should be able to keep your cabin and O Life.

FWIW, OBC is not the most economically prudent option of O Life, generally speaking. What do you intend to use the OBC for?

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

If you don’t drink much and don’t do ship tours then book the “cruise only fare” (with or without the air) - no O Life and pay for massages/drinks as you go. The OBC you would get is non-refundable and you would have to spend it or lose it. You can cancel the O Life w/o penalty and save on the fare and pay as you go for things you will buy (drinks, tours, massage,etc).

Other than onboard spending flexibility, there can be added value in the O Life SBC if your choice of ship excursions has an average price below $100 (mostly walking/panoramic tours).

We generally take the O Life SBC at initial booking and, once excursions are posted, we do the math to determine whether to switch to the tours option. We would only consider the booze pick (w/upgrade to prestige) on cruises of short duration.

As for "cruise only," most often the dollar value of the O Life exceeds the dollar savings in "cruise only" (though not significantly). Of course, that assumes you'll use/spend the perk(s). AND, if you are not a planner (nor user of FF mile combos), the inclusion of air tix might "float your boat" (we almost always take the air credit and apply it to DIY bizclass tix)).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

8 hours ago, dcsam said:

We’re already booked for a December cruise.  Today I see the President’s Day sale applies for our cruise.  I think it could save us a bit of money.  I called our TA, but she’s not in until Monday.  Any ideas what they might be able to do for us? Will we have to cancel and rebook?  Any penalties doing that?  Final payment isn’t until September.  

Thanks much!

If you have a TA you often use regularly, you should get their cell phone number for just such an occasion or, at least, expect them to check emails and/or identify someone at their office (or otherwise "on duty") to handle this in short order.

Just now, dcsam said:

Thanks much!

you do not indicate  what Country you are in  so I will base my answer  if you are in North America

If your TA cannot get the lower price

You should be able  to cancel & rebook without penalty from Oceania  but check if your TA has any penalty for doing so

Also if you booked  a H/C   I would try to keep that cabin & hope your TA can work their magic

The TA may be off Monday as well if it is a holiday

Do you need the Airfare?  If not then  book the cruise only 

Do the math & see what works best for you  before making that decision

JMO

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The OBC you would get is non-refundable and you would have to spend it or lose it.

I find it so sad that the concept of free "fun money" is being reduced to "can I cash it in".

Most people cruise to get away from mundane cares; why not live it up?

cartoon7498.png

43 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

I find it so sad that the concept of free "fun money" is being reduced to "can I cash it in".

Most people cruise to get away from mundane cares; why not live it up?

cartoon7498.png

Somehow,  you've erroneously attributed Paulchili's "spend it or lose it" quote to me. 😳

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Somehow,  you've erroneously attributed Paulchili's "spend it or lose it" quote to me. 😳

Yes, this seems to have happened because you quoted him in your reply to him, and I replied after reading your post.  

The lesson is, quotes are now considered part of the reply.  😜

We’re not making too much progress on the President’s Day sale promo. 

Our friends are currently booked in a B3.  They can upgrade to an A3 for the same price or an A4 and get just a smidge back.  They really want to stay in the B3 with the extended balcony.  Below is what the TA said:

———————————

Cat. B3 cannot be repriced to a lower category because it is not one of the categories in the promotion. The only thing they could do would be upgrade to a Concierge and move cabins or stay where they are. 

If they cancel and rebook the pricing will be the same for the B3 as they currently have.

————————————-

At this point I think they will be happy to stay where they’re at.  Don’t know if they’d be interested in booking an outside and get the promo to a standard balcony.  It’s all about the ex. balcony.  The concierge has a few extra perks - not many though.  Tough call.  Curious as to what others would do? Extended balcony or Concierge and why?

As far as my booking: for some reason we have to wait until tomorrow because we’re booked in one of the few ada balcony cabins.  After learning what our friend’s are eligible for (or not), I’m not sure what we’re waiting for and what they’ll be able to do.  Are there only 2 ada balcony cabins on the Riviera?  

Sale end tomorrow.

Thank you!

I looked  at the sale  the prices did not look like they were reduced  but you can get a higher cabin for the price of  a lower Cat  ..so I guess a reduction of sorts

Some cruises I looked at only specific Cat  were in the  deal

Like A  to PH on one of the sailings  I checked

As for  a B3 extended balcony or  an A Cat

it is  a personal choice ..

how much do you use the balcony?

in the B3  you are overlooked ..if that does not bother you  then take it

If the Perks  for Concierge  are something you would use  take it

Looking at the deck plans for H/C cabins  there are 2 balcony ones on deck 7 so if you want a balcony  I would take it now

Just my opinion of course