Looking for recommendation for Azores ports

In mid-May we will be sailing to the following ports in the Azores: Praia da Vitoria, Horta, and Ponta Delgada.  I am looking for recommendations as to what to do in each port.  Are any of the ports ideal for renting a car and driving around on our own?  Are their any local guides you can recommend?  We are interested in both history and nature (although nothing too "athletic").  Thanks.

• Like 1

Ponta Delgada , been there once & again in Sept., you can walk around city, shops from ship, but last time took the full tour around island, nice but in big coach, too much time loading & unloading at each stop & on bus only see limited views. This time, mini van toward LEFT side of island, 4 hours with lunch, then have time to walk around city

Ponta Delgada - definitely take a small tour for 6 or 7 hours.  The most interesting one goes west to the Lake District.  To the East is the tea plantation (only place in Europe that produces tea) and more great views.    The island is beautiful - fantastic vistas whichever way you go.  And lucky you - in May the hydrangeas will be blooming everywhere!

Edited by sansterre

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:25 AM, comcox said:

In mid-May we will be sailing to the following ports in the Azores: Praia da Vitoria, Horta, and Ponta Delgada.  I am looking for recommendations as to what to do in each port.  Are any of the ports ideal for renting a car and driving around on our own?  Are their any local guides you can recommend?  We are interested in both history and nature (although nothing too "athletic").  Thanks.

HORTA, I would NOT rent a car at this teensie-Weensie stop, I would stroll the Yacht Harbor for an hour or two. Praia da VITORIA, much the same unless you REALLY want to see this island's interior for some reason. PONTA DELGADA. The 'Bucket List' island stop of all the Azores.. a beautiful must see. Either tour Left (West) to the 2Volcanic Craters, or Right (East) to Furnas area to see the more forested greenery and volcanic hot springs etc. I suggest a local Tour in a Van/Car, a rent-a-car would be exhausting...the roads are so-ooo twisty-turny and local knowledge is crucial, and I am a Motorcyclist. A tour in a big motorcoach limits your 'snooping options'.  We used Gary Travassos at Azoreantours each time. His drivers knew exactly what we wanted to see, Volcanos, crashing surf, Greenery, Waterfalls, and a nice lunch with wine. Go to TripAdvisor web-site for good info and reviews. LocoLoco1

Island Sao Miguel, town Ponta Delgada: Nice town, nice parks (e.g. Jardim António Borges or José do Canto Garden). Easy to rent a car (e.g. ilhaverde dot com, offices: Campo de São Francisco or CC Solmar near the harbour). Easy to drive, very good roads and signs. Recommended spots: Hotsprings Furnas, Tea Plantations (Chá Porto Formoso or Chá Chorreana), Lagoa Azul, etc. Enjoy!

20180816_133955.jpg

20180816_120743.jpg

20180817_114728.jpg

20180815_120800.jpg

20180817_133003.jpg

20180819_122613.jpg

21 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Don't know why this thread was moved?  You won't get more Western Europe than the Azores.  Maybe not mainland Europe, but still part of Europe! and very West!

And it is nowhere close to the Mediterranean!  They Azores are in the middle of the N. Atlantic Ocean.

Did you guys skip geography classes??

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

And it is nowhere close to the Mediterranean!  They Azores are in the middle of the N. Atlantic Ocean.

Did you guys skip geography classes??

I agree completely! Not easy at all to find postings regarding the Azores in the Forums. I used the search feature and finally landed here, where the Azores don't belong. :classic_unsure:

I am looking for private tour operators for a day in Ponta Delgada in August. Thanks, locoloco1, for your posting.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:37 PM, ukestrummer said:

Ponta Delgada , been there once & again in Sept., you can walk around city, shops from ship, but last time took the full tour around island, nice but in big coach, too much time loading & unloading at each stop & on bus only see limited views. This time, mini van toward LEFT side of island, 4 hours with lunch, then have time to walk around city

Curious which company you are using for the minivan tour? 

TIA.

21 hours ago, ukestrummer said:

LISA is doing tours, her vans are full but she found us a fellow with van to do island's left side-short trip plus lunch-70E

Thanks, ukestrummer. I'm a former Oregonian -- lived in West Linn for 14 years. Oregon is by far my very favorite state!

Have a great day.