Deck by Deck boarding

dbeckett

I know there has been comments about the fact Princess are advising people on specific decks to arrive at, or after, specific times but have the distinct impression no one does it at Fort Lauderdale.  I can't get onto the booking as it keeps coming up with parsererror (if anyone can tell me how to correct or get rid of it I'd appreciate it).  As it won't let me log in, I can't review documents to see what they say.

As we are staying at Embassy Suites and waited an age (okay 1pm) last time for the Princess coach to leave for the port I was going to go by taxi but my brother (who I travel with) says we may as well wait at the hotel as there is no advantage to going earlier as the rooms aren't ready till the after the recommended boarding time.  That was one I hadn't heard of before so am hopeful someone can clarify what is happening at Fort Lauderdale.  Last year at Vancouver we certainly didn't wait till the suggested time and had it not been for a Homeland Security computer issue would have been on board around 10:30 - we were on in time to have had embarkation lunch had we wanted to.

Thanks

Agree, we always take a taxi from the Embassy suites to the port and usually go around 11 am... boarding usually begin 11:30 am.... actually sometimes we going even earlier... as getting a taxi at the hotel is challenging the later you  wait too.   It is often a mob scene there.

3 minutes ago, dbeckett said:

I know there has been comments about the fact Princess are advising people on specific decks to arrive at, or after, specific times but have the distinct impression no one does it at Fort Lauderdale.  I can't get onto the booking as it keeps coming up with parsererror (if anyone can tell me how to correct or get rid of it I'd appreciate it).  As it won't let me log in, I can't review documents to see what they say.

As we are staying at Embassy Suites and waited an age (okay 1pm) last time for the Princess coach to leave for the port I was going to go by taxi but my brother (who I travel with) says we may as well wait at the hotel as there is no advantage to going earlier as the rooms aren't ready till the after the recommended boarding time.  That was one I hadn't heard of before so am hopeful someone can clarify what is happening at Fort Lauderdale.  Last year at Vancouver we certainly didn't wait till the suggested time and had it not been for a Homeland Security computer issue would have been on board around 10:30 - we were on in time to have had embarkation lunch had we wanted to.

Thanks

There are factors that determine when passengers can board. For instance, did all the previous cruisers disembark (or were there lolly gaggers). Also, if there was an outbreak of Noro...if so, additional time will be required to disinfect the ship,  Not to mention, how many new passengers are waiting to embark. If there are only a few, they would be able to start boarding sooner.

That said, I am always so anxious to start my cruise that I am willing to wait at the port.

Happy cruising!

Just went downstairs and told my brother so it sounds like he is now okay about getting a taxi.   At least if you have to wait at the port the ship is close so when they say come on board it is easy to do.

Thanks to everyone for the very fast responses.

Personally, I would take the shuttle van from the Embassy Suites. They usually run every 1/2 hour and are comparable to taxi fares. Sign up for them at the front desk on the day of your arrival. I agree with the times that pris993 mentioned. However, recent experiences have shown that Princess is starting to act like some of the "other" cruise lines and are not letting you have access to your cabin until 1:00. This means having to have your carry-ons with you until then. But at least you are on board and have the ability to sign up for different things and grab lunch. Among other things.

8 minutes ago, cacruiser54 said:

There are factors that determine when passengers can board. For instance, did all the previous cruisers disembark (or were there lolly gaggers). Also, if there was an outbreak of Noro...if so, additional time will be required to disinfect the ship,  Not to mention, how many new passengers are waiting to embark. If there are only a few, they would be able to start boarding sooner.

That said, I am always so anxious to start my cruise that I am willing to wait at the port.

Happy cruising!

we are at DEFCON 1 the morning when we leave the house driving down to PE/FLL

waiting to board at the port - DEFCON 5

DEFCON 5 (least severe) to DEFCON 1 (most severe)

Just now, voljeep said:

we are at DEFCON 1 the morning when we leave the house driving down to PE/FLL

waiting to board at the port - DEFCON 5

DEFCON 5 (least severe) to DEFCON 1 (most severe)

DEFCON😃 once setting foot on the deck for the first time. 

• Haha 1

I don't care that my room won't be available until 1. My family and I just want to get on the ship as early as possible so we can go have lunch in the MDR and get a drink, sit by the pool and enjoy ourselves. It's fine if we have to bring our carry on bags with us. Our 'suggested arrival time' is after 1pm but I plan on us getting there by 10:30 am.

• Like 2

We have been on several cruises with Princess and never mind what they say

sure your room isn’t ready but go up on pool deck and relax and take photos and def eat lunch they don’t mind at all

i feel like it gives us an extra day on ship lol!! We were one of the first groups on board! It’s fun!

2 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

Personally, I would take the shuttle van from the Embassy Suites. They usually run every 1/2 hour and are comparable to taxi fares. Sign up for them at the front desk on the day of your arrival. I agree with the times that pris993 mentioned. However, recent experiences have shown that Princess is starting to act like some of the "other" cruise lines and are not letting you have access to your cabin until 1:00. This means having to have your carry-ons with you until then. But at least you are on board and have the ability to sign up for different things and grab lunch. Among other things.

I've started to avoid the shuttles.  I've found that Uber is cheaper and quicker, plus you're not part of a gaggle of 20 or 30 other anxious travelers when the van arrives at the terminal.  You don't have to wait for the van driver to unload all the luggage until yours appears.  

Last year we got there at 10:30 and were on board by 11:30.

• Like 1