The smell..

motheroftwocats814

We have primarily sailed the older Carny ships: Imagination, Ecstasy and Liberty. Those ships tend to have "the smell" on some of the lower cabin decks. The last time we sailed on Liberty we were in a lower cabin deck and it wasn't on our floor but the next floor down it was terrible....I want to sail on the Victory for next cruise..and I am worried about the smell.  Like I said, we weren't near it long, just passing through.  Anyone have any recommendations on what cabin decks are best to avoid "the smell?" 

What kind of smell are you referring to?  A sewer smell?  If that's the case, it's coming from the sewer gas vents.  You have them on your house, but you don't smell the gas because you probably don't crawl up on the roof to take a good whiff.  

Roz

48 minutes ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Yes the sewer smell...I have a lot of cruises under my belt..and only on Carny do I smell it..but it does not deter me from sailing them.

I've caught a whiff of it every once in a while when walking down hallways on cabin decks, I always just chalked it up to a mixture of all-you-can-eat food and poor bathroom ventilation :classic_laugh: 

Somewhere buried deep in the ancient tomes of Cruise Critic, our resident expert of all things maritime, @Chengkp75, wrote a nice summary of why that smell exists and what causes it.

Edited by stobe1

2 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Seems to be on older ships! 

OH it's on the new ones to .

One time the fumes mixed in with Guys burgers on lido.  Over heard one red card member says to his buddy, "What the hell is that" ? His buddy said, I don't no but I ain't eating no Sssssship burger !

See the source image

2 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Seems to be on older ships! 

Definitely the older ships.  We recently sailed on NCL Breakaway and had no smell at all.  The worst we have experienced was NCL Sun (Cuba) it was everywhere.  Really ruined your appetite!  

9 minutes ago, vhorton1100 said:

Definitely the older ships.  We recently sailed on NCL Breakaway and had no smell at all.  The worst we have experienced was NCL Sun (Cuba) it was everywhere.  Really ruined your appetite!  

I have sailed the Breakaway twice and never noticed it either..in fact, any other cruise line I have sailed on I have never smelled it..But with the times I have with Carnival it was only briefly so it doesn't; deter me