Carnival Hub App Feb 2019 update

seasickpete

BEWARE, resolve this issue before your cruise. Carnival has messed up big time with the latest version of Carnival Hub. It is only compatible with Android 6.0 and higher eliminating some 40% of Android phones now in use. We are cruising in April 2019. I loaded the app on my phone I think last Nov. Went to load it on my wife's phone today and it is incompatible. I see it does specify 6.0 and above now. My phone has Android 5.1.1 and cannot be updated. It is not a normal process to do a major operating system update to an Android phone. Nor is it a normal practice to write or update an app that eliminates 40% of your users. I think Carnival has just made a big boo boo here. I assume the old version I loaded won't work when I get to the ship. I pity the poor folks who find this out on cruise day and cannot update their phone OS. I seriously doubt there was any need to do this. I called Carnival and they could provide no explanation or resolution to this other than to say someone will contact me. I will report back.

It's not always the developers fault. Google is known to completely remove legacy features and options so developers have to update their apps accordingly and in some cases older OS and devices are no longer supported.

I'm sure it's part of Google's plan because they don't want old versions of their OS out there. Android 5 was released in 2014 and Android 6 in 2015. That's about 5 years. By mobile computing standards it's like you're using Windows 3.1 still 😁

• Like 1

Hi there - I work for a rather large tech company where app and OS updates are a frequent occurrence.

Typically, app and OS updates are not only needed for patches and new features, but also for improvements - Some of these more major improvements can only be made if an app is updated and optimized for later OS version. In the case of most apps, having them update as frequently as possible, along with pushing compatibility enhancements for new OS versions, keeps apps as stable as possible, while also smoothing out a lot of under-the-hood processing that the apps are doing.

Unfortunately, Android suffers from some pretty severe OS fragmentation, and this results in significant numbers of people not being able to obtain the latest Android updates that Google releases AND the latest app updates that every third party company pushes to the Play Store.

As much as I hate to say it, this a bigger issue with Android OS rollouts rather than an issue that Carnival should be dealing with. Carnival’s app developers can only wait so long before its compatible iOS version simply outpaces it in scalability and performance.

Edited by Dylobs
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, webzila said:

It's not always the developers fault. Google is known to completely remove legacy features and options so developers have to update their apps accordingly and in some cases older OS and devices are no longer supported.

I'm sure it's part of Google's plan because they don't want old versions of their OS out there. Android 5 was released in 2014 and Android 6 in 2015. That's about 5 years. By mobile computing standards it's like you're using Windows 3.1 still 😁

I agree, Android 6.0 has been discoutined by google. There fore devs have to make sure their apps are on the latest supported devices to prevent security threats that could find their way into your phone from apps. If you still are using a phone with Android 6.0 or older Im sorry but its time to upgrade. If you choose not to then you are going to run into issues like this. OP in this case is running a OS that is going on 5 years old and will not get any OS updates of ANY kind. Sorry but time to get a new phone, this is not Carnivals problem. This is OP's problem. 

My  tablet is stuck in android 5. samsung has no updates.There is really nothing wrong with the tablet itself and most of all my apps work fine.i hate this stupid planned obsolescence BS in our mobile devices.

Hopefully, the older app that currently works on my tablet is compatible with the sunrise in june

Edited by shof515