Dining

Hi I’ve booked my Med cruise with my husband and have been told that when dining in the restaurants you may have to share your table with others.  I really do not want to do this, can you request a table just for two people?  Also what is the best thing to take if I get sea sick ?

There are many over the counter remedies, some may work better for you.  I always take Stugeron, they are about £3 from Boots. I also take ginger tea bags. I must say over many  cruises I have only needed to take tablets twice. Enjoy your cruise!

I always take Stugeron with me too. Never needed them so far but I prefer not to chance it. Last time I was on the Dream, it was a bit rocky one day, (not the wine, honest guv), I had to smile, the crew had put sick bags at the top and bottom of all the staircases. I hasten to add, I didn’t see anybody use one.

Hi Trish50

It's always a worry about motion sickness they are also very helpful onboard with tables or an injection, sounds drastic but they do work instantly. In all our cruises only experienced it once and I suffer from vertigo. Dinning we eat early and never have a problem getting a table for two, they do have plenty on the newer tui ships. I would suggest that if you do want to try company at meal time go for a big table better mix of cruisers. Have a great one😎

We were on Celebration for two weeks and requested a table for two every night bar the 2 gala nights when we dined with friends.  If we went early there was no problem.  If we’re arrived later on we sometimes had to wait up to 5 minutes.  There is seating nearby but OH used to pop down to reception and pick up the following day's port map.  We were always asked if we’d like to share but waiting was never a problem.

I've found Boots own brand sea sickness tablets worked fine for me.  Only had to take them once and that was on a December Transatlantic during a storm.  Being able to look outside helps, and you can get an injection on board.

Edited by SellaVee

Which ship are you sailing?  Some have more tables for two than others.

As above, eating early is the best time to get your own table without a wait.

You sounded so surprised that you might have to share that I guess this is your first cruise? Very few lines will allow you to guarantee a table for two at whatever time you want to dine, or even, like Fred O where there are fixed time seatings and fixed table sizes with the same "tablemates" each evening. In any case, the tables for two are often located within inches of other tables so you can choose whether or not to get talking with your neighbours.

• 3 weeks later...

Trish50 - we have done 14 Marella/TUI/Thomson cruises and have never had to share always getting a table for 2.  Think it helps though that we eat early as we like to have finished our meal in time to go to the first theatre show at 8.30.

• Thanks 1

I don't know how much injections cost on Marella, but on P&O they are £95. I went down to the doctor on my first cruise after spending a day and a half in bed and he just told me to take some tablets. They do make you sleepy though so be aware you might spend time in bed if you have to take any. I started to take them before going to dinner on a night. It was more dizziness and a heavy head than sickness.

I don't think Boots sell those tablets anymore or at least, not the ones that have the same ingredient as the Sturgeon ones. I bought some in 2016 but haven't been able to buy them since.

No the op asked what to take for sea sickness at the end of her dining query. Lots of people have said that you can get an injection. I just wanted to point out that it could be expensive for one.🤔