Transportation from Penn Station to Port

jrbaum54

I have a group of 9 people looking to take an Amtrak train from the Harrisburg area (PA) to Penn Station the first part of May for our Norwegian cruise to Bermuda. I know the cruise port is about a 40 minute walk from Penn Station.  Obviously walking that far with luggage and a couple younger children is not an option.  What would be a good source of transportation from Penn Station to the cruise port.  I realize if we take a cab/Uber we all wont fit into one.  Is there a bus option? How about the Subway?  Driving from the Harrisburg area to the cruise port is still not off the table, so im looking for recommendations on parking and  thoughts on what would be the better option, driving or taking the train.  If we drive, we would be arriving the morning of the cruise.  Google says about a 3.5 hour drive, sure that will be longer depending on traffic.  We would arriving around 1000, Barring something crazy, what is traffic like around this time coming into the city?         

I'm a fan of driving to the cruise terminal if I can and having our car right there when we disembark; it's great to be able to jump in, and head home. (I can't say whether that's the best option for you in these circumstances.) If you drive, how many vehicles will you need, as that would factor into the cost of parking.   As for traffic, you don't say what day of the week you'd be arriving; traffic coming into Manhattan on weekdays during rush hour of course will be worse than on weekends, although even for the latter you'd want to be sure there was no big event going on that might impact traffic.  (And what's your comfort level about arriving "day of" your cruise, whatever mode of transportation you use?)

As for getting to the cruise terminal from Penn Station -- I personally would not be schlepping cruise luggage on the subway, especially since there's no subway station at the cruise terminal (you'd have walk a few long blocks).  I can't help you on the bus question, but since the cruise terminal is along 12th Avenue, and Penn Station is between 7th and 8th Avenues, I rather doubt there's a good bus option.  (Also, think about your luggage.  The buses are transit/commuter buses, not set up for large luggage.)   I would split up into several cabs.

Enjoy your cruise!

6 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Agree that if you arrive at Penn Station just take multiple taxis.  We live in MD and drove up the morning of the cruise, splurged to park at the pier (super easy and convenient).

Agree ... multiple yellow cabs which are available at the exit of the station. I am sure you are aware there are sometimes railroad delays.

We live in New York and do this all the time.  The easiest way to get from Penn Station to the port is to take taxis.  It's a short ride and very simple to do.  There's a taxi stand in front of Penn on 7th Avenue and they're very easy to grab no matter which exit from Penn Station you use.

13 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

We live in New York and do this all the time.  The easiest way to get from Penn Station to the port is to take taxis.  It's a short ride and very simple to do.  There's a taxi stand in front of Penn on 7th Avenue and they're very easy to grab no matter which exit from Penn Station you use.

Amtrak will come in on the 8th Ave side of NY Penn Station.  There are always cabs right at the Station exit on 8th Ave, which is one way northbound towards the port.