RCI Ovation vs Celebrity Solstice

On 2/23/2019 at 11:15 AM, CupcakeSusie said:

Awesome posts - so helpful! Thank you!

We would probably book an aqua class suite on solstice and eat at Blu ... does anyone have experience with these suites and the restaurant? Are the cabins nice and quiet? I remember reading that some of them were noisy a while ago but I’m not sure if it was A1 or A2. This would definitely sway our decision because I’m a really light sleeper.

Many of the A1 cabins are below the pool deck. We always book A2 Aft cabins as they have other cabins directly above. We enjoy this position, although a high deck movement is minimal. Solstice is be far the most stable ship we have sailed on. The aft cabins are also nice and quiet. Although our next cruise we managed to snag on of the 5 aft view cabins, which are A1. We shall see how we enjoy this position. Blu is lovely to dine in, although the MDR  on Solstice is fabulous as well.

4 hours ago, CupcakeSusie said:

If we could book a regular cabin/suite on Solstice and pay to eat at Blu and use the thermal suite, that would be our choice. I don’t want to be under the pool deck - way too noisy. 

I wish Aqua was an add-on to regular cabins, not cabins in a specific locality. I'd love to try Blu but we prefer to be on deck 7. It seems strange to have premium balcony cabins in one of the worst locations on a ship.  

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wish Aqua was an add-on to regular cabins, not cabins in a specific locality. I'd love to try Blu but we prefer to be on deck 7. It seems strange to have premium balcony cabins in one of the worst locations on a ship.  

Probably so they can justify charging more for them rather than less.

A bit like Club Class on Princess if I want a particular location I have to either have club class if I want it or not, or conversely miss it because the cabin I want isn’t in the right location.

had one Concierge class on Celebrity because we wanted the ication and was only about $10 difference in price.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:16 PM, CupcakeSusie said:

Good points, thanks gut. Similar dates, both next summer. The prices are per person - solstice is aqua class, ovation is a junior suite.

The JS on ovation is mid ship, deck 6, which is totally my happy place - nice and stable!

Just my personal opinion but I really don’t think the added cost for Aqua Class is worth it at all, you get the exact same balcony room with different toiletries+ a spa pass for usually hundreds more in price. The restaurant is much the same as MDR so no real benefit there imo.

I would book a regular balcony and then use the regular sauna/spa facilities that are free of charge, the paid section(thermal suite) only adds some heated tile loungers that really aren’t worth the $. If it were me I would jump from regular balcony to a suite for some actual benefits or better room.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I’m leaning towards Ovation but DH is now saying he wants to do another land trip to NZ in summer. I’d rather go over in winter for more snowboarding though. 

Having said that, I’ve tried searching for shore excursions that RC offers in NZ and am not having any luck. Can anyone please give a link so we can see what’s available? If there are some LoTR excursions he’ll be happy, and if there’s a glacier excursion I’ll be happy. We did the glacier heli hike last time we were there in winter and it was absolutely amazing! 

Anotherthing to throw into the mix is that I get 3 weeks of holidays in July each year, so we would definitely consider flying to the US to do one of their summer cruises. Not sure how costly that would be though. I would really LOVE to do a Mexican, Caribbean or Hawaiian cruise. It is heaps easier for hubby to take leave in our winter.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:42 PM, CupcakeSusie said:

Oh - I forgot an important thing. DH gets a bit seasick. He is worried that Solstice is too small compared to Ovation. He likes bigger ships because they’re more stable. Is this something he is right to be concerned about?

You do realise that both ships are almost the same size in physical dimensions?????

Celebrity Solstice is 314.8m long and 36.8m wide where as Ovation of the Seas is 348m long and 41.2m wide. Seriously the size difference is negligible and hardly any notice at all.

The only thing you should really be concerned about is which line is for you? what is your demographic? what appeals to you? Are you a large family group that loves water slides, rock climbing, sky diving machines and large family style resort themed ships that Royal Caribbean is famous for or are you adults only, children free, more refined setting into large ships with plenty of facilities, casual to fine dining, abundance of bars, sports and recreation and entertainment. There is a major difference between who and what the two companies market to. That is what you should be looking at opposed to size.

They may be about the same size (length and width) but certainly not the same height or weight or capacity, and that is why I find the Solstice a better ship, as there are over 1400 less passengers less.

Solstice - 122,000 tonnes, 2850 pax, 1250 crew,

Ovation - 169,000 tonnes, 4200 pax (max 4900), 1500 crew.

I think the solstice sits better in the water as well as it is not quite so large/high, although they both handle the seas well.