Auckland Airport - Curious

Just booked (finally) my Australia/New Zealand cruise for next year.  Now I'm wondering if any of you NZ folks on here can tell me generally how early you have to be at the Auckland airport for a flight.  I haven't booked my flights yet, so don't when or which airline I'm flying, but it will likely be a plane going to another country (first) and then to the U.S.  It will be on a Monday.  The ship docks at 7 in Auckland.  Two other medium sized cruise ships are scheduled to be there the same day according to the port website.  So before I book any flights (although I obviously have time!!!) I wanted to get a sense of how long it might take to get from the port on a Monday morning maybe 7 or 8 by cab to the airport, and then how early I should be there to check bags, get through all the airport stuff, etc.  

Thanks!

Not a Kiwi but have been to Auckland a few times over the years.

From cruise terminal right in city it is 27 km. to airport via the the quickest route on the motorway & takes 35 mins. normally - so you should allow an hour at that time of day.

Air NZ & other airlines require passengers going to USA to be at check-in 3 hours before departure.

You could use a ship shuttle but they don't like flights departing before noon & sometimes 1 PM - but these rules are for other cities. 

You are on holiday - don't give yourself stress but cutting things too fine.

There is a airport shuttle (SkyBus https://www.skybus.co.nz/) which runs regularly from Queen st which is very close to the dock. as mentioned allow at least an hour and be at least 3 hours prior to your flight. Book a flight for around 1 pm or later. I would book one for much later like 7pm and explore the city for a few hours without stressing  about your flight.

Auckland motorways are hideous.  They are one of the main reasons I left Auckland and never intend to move back.

Assuming you get off the ship about 8am, expect to get stuck in traffic and not get to the airport till sometime between 9 and 10am.  I agree that you shouldn’t book a flight before 1pm.  

I also wouldn’t book a taxi as during peak hour traffic, it will be very expensive.  I would suggest booking something with a set charge.  

Gidday.

As an Auckland resident I totally agree with oskarNZ.

Peak hours traffic (yep from about 5-30am to 9-30am) the Auckland motorway is a car park.

Best to go with someone with a set charge, also, if you are on Skybus or similar, they can use the bus lanes rather than crawl like the rest of us fuming as we try to get to work.

Hope you have a lovely trip :-)

TraceyG

Skybus is the best and most efficient way to get to the airport. Allow the 3 hour checkin time as well so a flight after 1pm is advisable. It's a scenic drive out to the airport as well so you get a brief view of the suburbs. 

Monday is if course the beginning of the working week so if you can leave the ship soon after 9am you will have a much better trip through as well.

• 1 month later...

We fly home from Auckland off the Solstice last weekend. We left the ship at 7.15 ( one could have left about 45 minutes earlier) and we were at the domestic airport at 9.00 am. For international add another 10 minutes and we travelled by Skybus. Security within NZ public places is tighter now than it was a month ago and one can expect if going to the USA to be even tighter. Checkin is these days recommended 2 hours Trans Tasman and three hours else where.. Assuing arriving at the airport by 10.00 a flight pre noon would be unadvisable for international. 1100 am for domestic

2 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

We fly home from Auckland off the Solstice last weekend. We left the ship at 7.15 ( one could have left about 45 minutes earlier) and we were at the domestic airport at 9.00 am. For international add another 10 minutes and we travelled by Skybus. Security within NZ public places is tighter now than it was a month ago and one can expect if going to the USA to be even tighter. Checkin is these days recommended 2 hours Trans Tasman and three hours else where.. Assuing arriving at the airport by 10.00 a flight pre noon would be unadvisable for international. 1100 am for domestic

Nice timing, how was your cruise?

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Nice timing, how was your cruise?

Of the dozen or so cruises we have done it won't go down as one of the best ones. The island ports we visited haven't improved in over the twenty years since I was last there. A lot of injection of money is required for infrastructure and that appears to be coming from China. This China influence is causing concern both locally and internationally

2 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

Of the dozen or so cruises we have done it won't go down as one of the best ones. The island ports we visited haven't improved in over the twenty years since I was last there. A lot of injection of money is required for infrastructure and that appears to be coming from China. This China influence is causing concern both locally and internationally

Yes, their One Belt, One road program is very inviting for some countries. I am sure they will all live to regret it just like Sri Lanka for example who already is regretting it only 2 years on..