Alaska, June 2020... S-class - How many kids likely to be onboard?

DebInAntigua

Call me a cranky senior, but I really dislike cruising with a lot of young children onboard. It's simply not relaxing listening to screaming children by the pool, dodging little ones running ahead of their parents, and hearing toddlers and preschoolers act up in the dining room when we're trying to enjoy a relaxing, upscale dining experience. Teenagers (generally) know how to act and can make delightful fellow travelers, but under 14 or so... not so much.

We've booked 2 Alaska cruises in a row on S-class ships in June 2020. How likely are they to be filled with youngsters since schools are out?

School is out for a lot of kids, so yes, you'll see a lot more of them, especially on an Alaska cruise. If you hate being around kids, don't sail a family friendly itinerary during school holidays. Or select a line like one of the luxury lines that don't cater to families.

Despite the fact we live in Alaska we periodically do Alaska cruises.  The last set of Alaska cruises we did on Celebrity was in 2017 when we did a B2B southbound followed by northbound.  As someone who spends 60 to 90 days a year on Celebrity ships I find that Alaska itineraries definitely have more families, and in particular, more multi-generational families.  But I haven't seen that many toddlers on Alaska itineraries.  Many of these itineraries are also port intensive, so families are often off the ship when in port, and the kids return tired and ready to be fed before an early bedtime.  Given the port intensive nature of some of these itineraries it also has seemed to me that a number of families tend to eat in the buffet at night.

• Like 1

My one and only Alaska trip was the end of July on Princess. There were many large family groups with children. I would say at least 25 percent of the passengers were kids. I did not realize so many families with kids would even want to go on an Alaskan cruise. Many parents seemed to just turn their kids loose. I swore I would not take another cruise while school was out. But it seems Celebrity does not target kids as much as other cruiselines, so maybe the kids won't be as wild.  

We did Alaska in mid Sept last cruise of the season. Weather was great,  very few children, shops in ports all had sales as they were closing until next season.  Did all independent tours and met some great locals who were very relaxed and looking forward to the off season.