NJT LRT to/from Cape Liberty

GTJ

On days Celebrity Cruises arrives and departs Bayonne, is any transportation available between the 34th Street light rail station and Cape Liberty, other than taxis/Uber/Lyft?

4 hours ago, GTJ said:

On days Celebrity Cruises arrives and departs Bayonne, is any transportation available between the 34th Street light rail station and Cape Liberty, other than taxis/Uber/Lyft?

No. I do the light rail every year and there are no alternatives other than taxi, Uber or Lyft.  The secret is to arrive by about 10 am to avoid the traffic into the port and get ride service quickly.

Where would you be coming from?

I had found a flyer, apparently issued by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., stating that "Royal Caribbean International will provide a complimentary shuttle bus between the light rail station and Cape Liberty Cruise Port." While the sentence literally limits its application to just the Royal Caribbean International brand, and Celebrity Cruises, Inc., is a separate subsidiary of the corporation, it was reasonable to assume that the same type of arrangement would be available for both lines. Alas, the flyer shows a copyright date of 2004, so perhaps in these intervening fifteen years the arrangement was withdrawn. Seemingly, that would make Cape Liberty Cruise Port the only major passenger transportation terminal not connected with public transportation.

We will be coming from Flushing, Queens, so I anticipate that we will take the no. 7 train either to 74th Street-Broadway for the F train, or to Queensboro Plaza for the N or W train, and head to 34th Street-Herald Square (or LIRR from Flushing to Pennsylvania Station, then walk over to Herald Square). Then the PATH train to Hoboken (and maybe stop in at Grimaldi's on Washington Street for a bite to eat). Next the NJT light rail train to 34th Street. But it might be easier just staying on the no. 7 train to Times Square-42nd Street, walk over to the PABT for the NJT no. 119, and go directly to John F. Kennedy Boulevard, at 33rd Street. I had also thought about taking the subway to South Ferry, crossing over to St. George on the ferry, then the S44 or S48 to Richmond Avenue (or subway to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, then S79 SBS to Richmond Avenue), and get the S89 to 34th Street Bayonne . . . but the S89 is rush hours only. Lots of options, all easy to do for any New Yorker.

I don't think we're really that anxious to arrive early in Bayonne. Our experience is that late arrival, two hours before scheduled departure, means that there are no lines and that checking-in is a breeze. My inclination is to arrive at 34th Street between 1:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m., and be at the passenger terminal within a half hour.

12 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I had found a flyer, apparently issued by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., stating that "Royal Caribbean International will provide a complimentary shuttle bus between the light rail station and Cape Liberty Cruise Port." While the sentence literally limits its application to just the Royal Caribbean International brand, and Celebrity Cruises, Inc., is a separate subsidiary of the corporation, it was reasonable to assume that the same type of arrangement would be available for both lines. Alas, the flyer shows a copyright date of 2004, so perhaps in these intervening fifteen years the arrangement was withdrawn. Seemingly, that would make Cape Liberty Cruise Port the only major passenger transportation terminal not connected with public transportation.

We will be coming from Flushing, Queens, so I anticipate that we will take the no. 7 train either to 74th Street-Broadway for the F train, or to Queensboro Plaza for the N or W train, and head to 34th Street-Herald Square (or LIRR from Flushing to Pennsylvania Station, then walk over to Herald Square). Then the PATH train to Hoboken (and maybe stop in at Grimaldi's on Washington Street for a bite to eat). Next the NJT light rail train to 34th Street. But it might be easier just staying on the no. 7 train to Times Square-42nd Street, walk over to the PABT for the NJT no. 119, and go directly to John F. Kennedy Boulevard, at 33rd Street. I had also thought about taking the subway to South Ferry, crossing over to St. George on the ferry, then the S44 or S48 to Richmond Avenue (or subway to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, then S79 SBS to Richmond Avenue), and get the S89 to 34th Street Bayonne . . . but the S89 is rush hours only. Lots of options, all easy to do for any New Yorker.

I don't think we're really that anxious to arrive early in Bayonne. Our experience is that late arrival, two hours before scheduled departure, means that there are no lines and that checking-in is a breeze. My inclination is to arrive at 34th Street between 1:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m., and be at the passenger terminal within a half hour.

The “flyer” is dated 2004 - very old.  There is no shuttle anymore.

I have done the light rail a number of times, as recently as the end of last week.  I strongly recommend NOT taking the NJT bus from PABT or even considering a crazy roundabout route going from Queens to Manhattan to Staten Island by ferry or via Brooklyn to catch a bus to Bayonne 34th St. 

What I do recommend is getting yourselves to PATH at 32nd & 6th.  If you come from Penn Station, you walk across 32nd St to 6th where there is a PATH elevator on the west side of 6th Ave just a bit north of 32nd before JCPenney.  If you come by subway, get yourselves on the very first car of the southbound N train at Queens Plaza or Times Square.  There are elevators at Hoboken.  The light rail is all the way to the left when facing away from NY.  You buy a ticket and validate it in the machine and you’re off to Bayonne.

You then have to contact Uber, Lyft, or a cab.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Getting picked up at the light rail can be time consuming.  The Bayonne taxis are supposed to charge you $5-6/pp.  

I strongly recommend reconsidering your plan to arrive so late in Bayonne.  I went late for this last cruise because the ship had had a flu outbreak and they were supposed to be doing a deep clean.  Traffic into the port was horrible - took an hour+ to go 2 miles - cabs were reluctant to take the fare.  You are not allowed to walk the 2 miles into the port.  Never had a problem with cabs when arriving between 10 and 10:30.  In case of bad weather, there is shelter at the light rail station.  Just remember you can’t afford to miss the ship due to a transportation problem.  IMO planning to be there just 2 hours ahead when the cutoff time is 90 minutes is foolish.

I would travel via Staten Island if the S89 bus operated midday, if only because the PATH train and NJT LRT are old hat, and I always prefer doing something new and different if possible. I've walked over the Bayonne Bridge (and those inconvenient steps at West 4th Street) several times, but with the bridge now closed to pedestrian traffic for the duration of the reconstruction project, the S89 is the only option available over that span. Certainly not a convenient route to take--especially for people from outside of New York City, or not otherwise accustomed to travel by, public transportation--and Staten Island has had problems with disruptive passengers who refuse to pay their bus fares. But certainly more interesting than a routine train ride, and no problem for an experienced transit professional.

Interested in knowing your perception regarding the 119 bus. I traveled that route several times when it was operated as route 99S by Drogin Bus Co., and in later years by a Coach USA subsidiary. I never had any issues . . . but admittedly I haven't been on the route since it was taken over by New Jersey Transit.

My understanding is that they have since cleaned up at least part of the former M.O.T. property, and it is now accessible to all. Indeed, a Google street view of the entrance, Port Terminal Boulevard at NJ-440, clearly shows a "pedestrian path" sign. The walkway turns into a dirt path, but appears to be readily traversable. I would just walk if I were by myself, but my wife likes Uber so we will likely do that. Have you attempted the hike recently?

I almost always arrive last minute (I still remember one time arriving at Union Station in Chicago with only five minutes to go before the train to Seattle would depart!). It seems like everyone else aims to arrive and board the vessel as early as possible, and to then later aim to depart and alight the vessel as early as possible. Much more comfortable after the masses have dissipated. As well, staterooms may not be available for occupancy until later. So we might move up arrival a short amount, but no plan to be at the passenger terminal prior to 1:00 p.m. for a 4:00 p.m. scheduled departure.

Honestly, I like to explore public transit options, but not at the level you seem to enjoy it! Walking 2 miles with a rolling bag is just not in the cards for me.  My advice would be to explore new options for disembarkation rather than for embarkation.  There are too many stories about folks missing the check in cutoff.  The first port is usually at least two days away.

I have not ridden bus 119, but I have no desire to deal with PABT and end up standing on a street corner in Bayonne waiting for Uber or a cab by myself. We used to live in Jersey City so I have no need to explore the area with luggage on a public bus.  PATH and the LRT are easily accessible with luggage which is why I use and recommend them to other cruisers. 

I also don’t really know the status of the “pedestrian path”.  They are developing that area and the “path” might just be for the nonport area before the little guard hut.  Since there are no sidewalks and the actual port is a secured area, I can understand them wanting to discourage foot traffic on that road.

1 hour ago, megr1125 said:

[P]eople drive like wackos on Port Terminal Blvd.

You make it so tempting for this New Yorker to say something about drivers in New Jersey . . . but I am biting my tongue on that one! :classic_blush:

I was looking at both the aerial views and street views, and after the Harbor Pointe Apartments, the roadway narrows, and there's a dirt path between the roadway and the water, but well out of the way of the roadway upon which the wackos are driving. At the end of the path, the roadway widens and there looks to be sidewalks or wide shoulders the rest of the way. (I really dislike automotive travel for a variety of reasons. I will acquiesce to an Uber vehicle because my wife will be with me, but otherwise I would consider all other alternatives before stepping foot into an automobile.)

2 hours ago, 138east said:

I have not ridden bus 119, but I have no desire to deal with PABT and end up standing on a street corner in Bayonne waiting for Uber or a cab by myself. We used to live in Jersey City so I have no need to explore the area with luggage on a public bus.

Sounds a bit like that scene in North by Northwest, where Cary Grant alights from the Greyhound Lines bus in a rural part of Indiana, standing alone on the highway waiting for someone (only to be mowed down by a crop duster!). Having worked in the bus industry for nearly 40 years, I supposed I am more predisposed to bus travel than most people. As well, the idea of waiting on a street corner with luggage is in the "been there, done that" category, so that aspect does not really faze me. To the me, the main distinctions between PATH + NJT LRT and NJT 119 are that (1) no need to transfer with NJT 119, and (2) the PATH + NJT LRT both operate much more frequently, so it is a balancing that is nearly evenly weighted.

Another consideration is the ease of accessing the transportation with luggage.  PATH and the LRT are even level roll on and elevator accessible with luggage plus Hoboken is a nice transfer point with great views of Manhattan.  This is not true for the buses which are likely to not have undercarriage luggage storage and most likely have an unfriendly interior design for managing luggage.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:57 PM, 138east said:

Another consideration is the ease of accessing the transportation with luggage. . . . [T]he buses . . . are likely to not have undercarriage luggage storage and most likely have an unfriendly interior design for managing luggage.

I was thinking the same thing about the type of buses being used on the 119. You may remember that NJT timetable covers used to depict the type of equipment typically assigned to each route, but no longer is that the case. The timetable does indicate that the 119 departs from gate 1 at PABT, which is on the lower level of the old building, and is typically used only by over-the-road coaches (with underfloor luggage bays). The timetable also indicates that the route is operated for NJT under contract by Academy (No. 22 Hillside Bus Corp.), and for which the fleet roster shows a mixed fleet of transit buses and over-the-road coaches (but no other routes other than 119 and Atlantic City would use over-the-road coaches . . . but I think Atlantic City is an error since the 319 timetable shows all service to Atlantic City being directly operated by NJT and nothing contracted to Academy. And the timetable also shows that the 119 is an exact fare route, thus unlikely to rely upon over-the-road coaches (but that being said, I've been an over-the-road coach on the 126 to Hoboken, even though it is nominally an exact fare route). Then, there's this picture from a 1986 news article showing an RTS operating the 119 route. Finally, there's this video showing a NABI transit bus leaving PABT gate 1 on the 119, where it is readily visible that there is standard transit seating, with plenty of room for bringing in luggage. Here's a picture of the interior of one of those buses, showing room under the flip-up seats at the front. Bottom line is that I cannot be positive as to what equipment NJT (or more accurately, Academy) is assigning to the 119, though I think the weight of the evidence is that standard NABI transit buses are being used. Perhaps the next time I am in midtown I will wander over to PABT and take a look at what is operated out of gate 1. If transit buses are being used, and there is platform seating, then I would agree as to the potential suitcase problem. But if transit buses are being used with typical transit seating, then it should not be a problem. And if over-the-road coaches are assigned, then luggage is east.

(As to PATH, all the stations in New Jersey (except New York-bound at Harrison) are accessible, but in New York only 33rd Street and World Trade Center stations are accessible. At other stations passengers must be able to carry their luggage up or down flights of stairs. Of course, NJT LRT is fully accessible.)