Silverseas Expedition British Isles Cruise

bl2sms

I've just booked a 2020 cruise on Silverseas Silver Cloud Expedition.  It's too far out for them to have shore excursions posted so I'm wondering if anyone has taken that cruise and can provide some feedback.  Two things that are certain are Cliffs of Moher and Giants Causeway.  Because it's an expedition cruise, I know there'll be pretty active excursions planned but am curious what others may have experienced.

We are booked on the Amsterdam to Dublin cruise this May on the Silver Cloud expedition ship. Here is a link to the shore excursions. I hope you can see it without being logged on as me.

https://my.silversea.com/ECMFrom/DM_505663_TourProgramme_1911.pdf 

Excursions are all included. But warning! you do need to book them in advance to ensure you get the ones you want. You can book them 90 days out. It was 89 days out, actually, until they appeared on the website. This is different than on other expedition ships, to Galapagos and Antarctica, where you do not book excursions in advance.

Thank you so much for this!!  Your itinerary is very similar to ours, but we leave from London and go to Guernsey first.  I'm surprised at the shore excursions which seem to be of a similar type as the typical cruise lines.  I thought that, with it being an "expedition" cruise the excursions would be a bit more adventurous, maybe zipping around in a zodiac or two.   Even thought we might head to Skellig MIchael (during the Skellig Island portion) where the last scene of the Star Wars "The Force Awakens" was filmed ... and was wondering if my old legs could handle the steep stairs to the top!  I'll be anxious to hear how your cruise goes.  This will be our first on Silverseas and we're trying to learn as much as possible about its particular quirks.

Apparently they call the British Isles cruises "soft expeditions". They use the zodiacs to get from ship to shore in the places they can't dock. I was warned by others that you need to take waterproof pants because the [cold] water can splash you on the zodiacs. We just purchased lightweight, packable jackets and pants that are meant to go over regular clothes.

You can book dinner reservations at 120 days out. Excursions at 90 days out. The main dining room is open seating. The others all require reservations. You can make them on the ship, but we decided to be safe and book them in advance. We can always change them on the ship once we see the daily menus.

I'll report on the cruise after we get back.

Has the itinerary changed a little on this trip?  Missing from alithecat's excursion programme are Skomer Island and the Skellig Islands, two properly expedition cruise places.  Both are still up on the ordinary Silversea website.  

I do think this is seriously overpriced for a 10-day cruise and I'm just not willing to gamble on the weather.   

The ship is at Skomer Island from 3 - 6:30 pm on 17 May and at Skellig Islands from 9 am - 1 pm on 18 May.

No shore excursions are shown. I don't know what that means. Maybe just a loop around the islands from the ship?

I thought the price we paid was high too but it included all the excursions and free air, transfers and a hotel in Amsterdam. The timing was perfect for us and we've never been to Ireland.

We did 36 days on the Cloud Late April 2018 to the beginning of June, covering most of those locations.  I posted on CC extensively during that cruise.  There were many zodiac opportunities.  A great one was circling Skellig Michael, but no one from the ships is allowed ashore.  If you can find my thread, it may be helpful for info.  If I can find it I'll try to post a link.

A pity the Cloud cannot land passengers on Skomer or Skellig Michael - both are major attractions.  Perhaps the Cloud is too big, perhaps the seas are just too finicky for even zodiac assaults, perhaps each island has strict regulations and monopolies on visitors . . . still a pity, though.  This isn't really an expedition cruise at all, except for the price!

i am on the May 2019 trip also, along with 3 friends....how disappointing.. i didn't know that we didn't get to take the trek up Skomer to the monestary.. Why even bother stopping if we don't get to make the trek upward....i was under the idea that we would anchor and take the zodiaks to the landing to make the trek....

• 5 months later...

Are you on the May 19 sailing?  We are too.  We took the Silversea Explorer from Dublin to Tenerefe a few years ago and there were opportunities to hike, explore, zodiac, etc. in addition to city tours.  So we thought that the Cloud would be a similar experience although booking excursions in advance is different.  There are twice as many passengers so that probably makes it necessary.  I'll be following this thread.  Thanks.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, Fletcher said:

This isn't really an expedition cruise at all, except for the price!

Agreed. though I expect the price variance is purely down to its reduced capacity and crew size on board regardless. I hate the thought that the Winds final sailing into London next August before being Cloudified will be my last cruise on her...... but thats the cookie crumbled.

Yes, Caradara, we are on the May 19 sailing, and am looking forward to it.  I've moved it kind of front and center now that our Alaska cruise is over.  I'm curious about the excursions and sorry we have to wait to read about them.

8 hours ago, les37b said:

Agreed. though I expect the price variance is purely down to its reduced capacity and crew size on board regardless. I hate the thought that the Winds final sailing into London next August before being Cloudified will be my last cruise on her...... but thats the cookie crumbled.

Couldn’t agree more with your thoughts re the demise of the Wind leaving Silversea with No small luxury ship in the fleet .Sad day when it goes ice breaking!!

Good Morning Brimary - We know that you are preparing for your next ( maybe last ? ) Adventure on The Wind. We hope that you have a wonderful time and this Cruise will meet all of your expectations. We would be so pleased to hear about it if you get time.

Have Fun and we hope the weather is kind to you so that you both will get good value from The Pool.

We are preparing for our Spirit Adventure in early September.

7 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

Good Morning Brimary - We know that you are preparing for your next ( maybe last ? ) Adventure on The Wind. We hope that you have a wonderful time and this Cruise will meet all of your expectations. We would be so pleased to hear about it if you get time.

Have Fun and we hope the weather is kind to you so that you both will get good value from The Pool.

Hi Mayflower....Thanks for your good wishes on what will be our farewell to our favourite Wind cruise....Sadly .May have to upsize so look forward to hearing your reliable opinion on your upcoming Spirit cruise which we hope you enjoy.We shall get good value from the early morning swim assuming it is heated as we are not expecting a fair weather cruise circling Ireland for the first and probably only time.We are looking forward to the experience whatever the weather!Will report back at some stage in between the good food and the Guinness! All the best to you both for your Spirit Cruise.

Edited by Mayflower1
Duplication