Question about being tendered

sanken

How long does it take to get off the ship when tendered, this is a cruise with 3000 passengers. Do you find it really inconvienent to be tenderded vs docked?

It really depends on what port you're going to be at. In some ports, the ships use their own tenders; in other ports, larger boats, similar to ferries, are used. I just got back from the Legend, which had 2000 people onboard, and we had no problems or waits at all. Of course, that can depend on the time of day, also. Keep in mind that not everyone will be going ashore at the same time. Outside of the first and last hour, tendering doesn't usually take too long.

I always try not to be with the pack that MUST be off the ship first. After that the tenders seem to run nicely. Port at 8am get off at 9 and you should be fine.

Worst nightmare getting off the ship was in Key West which is a dock!! Both times we were there we were late clearing customs then a mass heard of people trying to get off the ship all at one time. The crew manned the stairs so you couldn't go down the stairs to get off until your number was called. Those unsuspecting (or maybe they figured out the shortcut) using the elevator putting them directly into the front of the line got yelled at by other passengers. Not a pleasant time to say the least.

My thoughts, I would rather tender then get off in Key West any day :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

• 7 months later...

Our only issue with tendering vs. docking is that we were part of the group that wanted to be first off the ship. haha

We did actually have to wait in line, but it wasn't a long wait at all. Just try to avoid waiting 'til last to head back to the ship. We did that at Labadee, so we again had to wait in line. But after a long relaxing day in the sun and snorkling it was no big deal. We had late seating for dinner (dinning late again this time too!) so we were in a rush to head back to the ship.

Inconvenient yes, a hassle no. Just plan accordingly. If you have a Ship's tour, it won't be an issue. Just meet where recommended and when as your group will usually meet on shore. Occasionally, boat/snorkeling type tours leave directly from the ship. If you have an independent tour is where there is a little concern. Just go to where the earliest tour is meeting and tell one of the activites staff that you need to get off early. They will often accommodate your request.

Bon Voyage

They usually give you numbers or a time if you are on an excussion. Otherwise it all depends on where you are being tendered to. I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a tender, except for coming back to the ship...then it's best to ask how their schedule runs.

We don't mind being tendered as long as the ship uses their boats. Royal Caribbean has a real smooth procedure. Just don't get off as soon as you dock. We usually wait about an hour after we dock, then we get off. Tendering in Grand Cayman went real smooth both times we were there with RC.

We only had one bad experience with tendering. This was about 6 or 7 years ago. We were on another cruiseline and had to tender in Cancun. The cruiseline we were with did not use their boats. The people in Cancun tendered us in, in these rickety old boats. Coming back to the ship from Cancun we were in the middle of a huge thunderstorm and I was just hoping we would make it to the ship safely. When we got to the ship, we had to climb up a ramp from the tender to the ship. The ramp kept moving because of the wind. We finally made it! That was our very first cruise so you can imagine how stressed I was.

Other than that one time, all our tendering went real smooth.

Archived