Addicted to soda -- where can I get my fix?

Newbie2006

We are going on a cruise shortly on Summit, and are staying near the Aft Elevators . . . 

I just found out we cannot use our soda beverage package to get soda delivered to our room . . . where's the closest fix?

(Summit will be just coming out of Revolution drydock, so hopefully, bars will remain in place).

I think I will miss the freestyle Cola machines on Royal Caribbean near the pizzeria and buffet that we had on our last cruise.

When you use a beverage package for soda, do they give you a can (open/closed) or fountain beverage in a glass?

My first celebrity cruise, the bartenders knew me, and would have my soda ready as I walked up.

Looking forward to cruise in March!!! 🥤

You can ask for a can of unopened soda at any bar. Look at the deck plans to see what is a adjacent to the Aft elevator. Looks like OceanView Cafe could be your place for to go drinks. In a pinch, I drink the soda from the mini-cooler in my cabin and replace it the next morning with a soda from one of the bars. 

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

I ask to have the minibar emptied, then get a soda every time I go back to the cabin, until the minibar is full of my own soda.  It seems very silly not to let us use the drinks in the minibar if we have a beverage package.  

I think this is the strategy most guests use. You can also ask your room attendant to deliver ice to you twice daily.

5 hours ago, lisiamc said:

I ask to have the minibar emptied, then get a soda every time I go back to the cabin, until the minibar is full of my own soda.  It seems very silly not to let us use the drinks in the minibar if we have a beverage package.  

Thanks for the info! Never thought of that!

7 hours ago, Marelaine said:

You can ask for a can of unopened soda at any bar. Look at the deck plans to see what is a adjacent to the Aft elevator. Looks like OceanView Cafe could be your place for to go drinks. 

Oceanview it is then.

" It seems very silly not to let us use the drinks in the minibar if we have a beverage package.  "

I think that this is to cut down on possible "sharing' of drinks.  

with the drinks package you can only get one drink at a time, and there must be a waiting period (around 10 minutes) between re-orders.  That definitely puts a limit on the ease of sharing.   If you could just go to your mini-bar and grab sodas it would be way too easy to distribute them to others who don't have a package.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

" It seems very silly not to let us use the drinks in the minibar if we have a beverage package.  "

I think that this is to cut down on possible "sharing' of drinks.  

with the drinks package you can only get one drink at a time, and there must be a waiting period (around 10 minutes) between re-orders.  That definitely puts a limit on the ease of sharing.   If you could just go to your mini-bar and grab sodas it would be way too easy to distribute them to others who don't have a package.

I hadn’t really considered that.  DH and I always get the same package as each other, but I can see the potential for abuse, now that you point it out.

In addition to the potential for inappropriate sharing of beverage packages, exclusion of the "mini bar" makes a whole lot of sense to me in the context of administration...

• Less restocking activity
  • Less related--and less complex [beverage package/no beverage]--billing activity on the part of the crew member who does the restocking and on the part of those who handle onboard accounts
  • Less opportunity for billing disputes ["I" had a beverage package...  "I" didn't--or don't remember--using the mini-bar...  "I" replenished the mini-bar but didn't have opportunity to do so until after it was restocked...]

It is my understanding that Royal Caribbean no longer stocks their mini-bars to avoid the administration and the [sometimes contentious] hassles...

Just now, Xport said:

In addition to the potential for inappropriate sharing of beverage packages, exclusion of the "mini bar" makes a whole lot of sense to me in the context of administration...

• Less inventory and/or restocking activity
  • Less related--and less complex [beverage package/no beverage]--billing activity on the part of the crew member who does the restocking and on the part of those who handle onboard accounts
  • Less opportunity for billing disputes ["I" had a beverage package...  "I" didn't--or don't remember--using the mini-bar...  "I" replenished the mini-bar but didn't have opportunity to do so until after it was restocked...]

It is my understanding that Royal Caribbean no longer stocks their mini-bars to avoid the administration and the [sometimes contentious] hassles...

7 hours ago, Xport said:

• Less restocking activity

If Celebrity stops stocking the mini bar, that would be a good solution.  I can stock my own pretty easily, and no hassle of asking the steward to take the stuff away.

• Like 1

Just a heads up... if you unload your own refrigerator, make sure you put it back the night before you debark.  I even told the steward that I had packed up the refrigerator, the Pringles, and the water on top of the vanity and put it in the blue reusable bag they provided in the cabin.  I placed that bag right by the vanity before I left the cabin.  Obviously the mini bar person came around and didn't ask the steward... When I got home, I noticed that I was charged for all of the items after we had left the ship.  Those charges were not on my final statement that I saw on the TV right before we left.  A call to Celebrity quickly solved this and I was credited, but next time I will know to put the items back where I found them, or have the steward take them all away.

We have been on three cruises with Celebrity. We would stop at a couple of bars and pick up some cans of soda and bring them back to our room. Always had a good stock of soda. 

On the first day, I asked the room steward to empty the frig and to bring ice twice a day.

Last month, we took a cruise with Royal Caribbean. Their soda plan was a giant pain! The cup thing just didn't work for us at all.

We will be back with Celebrity this June. 

The only problem we have had is, we prefer Caffeine Free Diet Coke. They seem to be out of it a lot. I complained once, to guest services. They sent six cans to our room. After that, we just got used to the shortage and had plain Diet Coke.  

Perhaps getting older leads to changes in habit and what you eat and drink.

I am 71 and very few of my friends (around the same age) drink soda of any kind.

I went from regular coke to diet coke in my late teens because of the calories.  By the time I hit 40, my soda consumption started declining.  Around early 50s, I stopped drinking even diet soda. I haven't missed it.  My doctors for the past 15 years advise me not to drink soda or diet soda.  I know a couple of people that did drink a lot of diet soda and have acid reflux.  

Every has to make their own choices and mine may be wrong, but  I never understood someone drinking 6 or more sodas a day.

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Perhaps getting older leads to changes in habit and what you eat and drink.

I am 71 and very few of my friends (around the same age) drink soda of any kind.

I went from regular coke to diet coke in my late teens because of the calories.  By the time I hit 40, my soda consumption started declining.  Around early 50s, I stopped drinking even diet soda. I haven't missed it.  My doctors for the past 15 years advise me not to drink soda or diet soda.  I know a couple of people that did drink a lot of diet soda and have acid reflux.  

Every has to make their own choices and mine may be wrong, but  I never understood someone drinking 6 or more sodas a day.

For some it is about our only vice...DW wants me to cut back too,  but I tell her to let me have some fun!  I am 53.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fishkillbill said:

We have been on three cruises with Celebrity. We would stop at a couple of bars and pick up some cans of soda and bring them back to our room. Always had a good stock of soda. 

On the first day, I asked the room steward to empty the frig and to bring ice twice a day.

Last month, we took a cruise with Royal Caribbean. Their soda plan was a giant pain! The cup thing just didn't work for us at all.

We will be back with Celebrity this June. 

The only problem we have had is, we prefer Caffeine Free Diet Coke. They seem to be out of it a lot. I complained once, to guest services. They sent six cans to our room. After that, we just got used to the shortage and had plain Diet Coke.  

Check the Mast Grille on the solstice class ships. They keep a variety of canned sodas on ice behind the counter. That's where I found Coke Zero as well as Diet Coke. They probably have Caffeine free Diet, also.

Edited by Marelaine

17 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

Check the Mast Grille on the solstice class ships. They keep a variety of canned sodas on ice behind the counter. That's where I found Coke Zero as well as Diet Coke. They probably have Caffeine free Diet, also.

Thank you for the tip, but we will be on the Summit.

In my experience there is no wait time between drink orders on the drink package.  I have several times ordered a drink I didn't like and immediately ordered another one.  No problem.  The bartenders will also give you bottled water at the same time as an alcoholic drink