Norwegian Sky in April, taking my 15yr old daughter?

Timmay77

My daughter (15yr old) has a 4 day weekend in April. I was thinking of taking her on a weekend getaway to the Bahamas. Just her and Dad (me).  From the few videos I have seen on FB, this looks like a booze cruise. Is this something that would be appropriate for a Father and Daughter to do? I am definitely a young spirited 42yr old father, so I wouldn't feel out of place at all. Just worried I would expose her to too many adult situations. Am I mistaken? Or should I look at another ship or cruise line? The dates work perfect......

Norwegian Sky April 19-22 of 2019

3 hours ago, Timmay77 said:

My daughter (15yr old) has a 4 day weekend in April. I was thinking of taking her on a weekend getaway to the Bahamas. Just her and Dad (me).  From the few videos I have seen on FB, this looks like a booze cruise. Is this something that would be appropriate for a Father and Daughter to do? I am definitely a young spirited 42yr old father, so I wouldn't feel out of place at all. Just worried I would expose her to too many adult situations. Am I mistaken? Or should I look at another ship or cruise line? The dates work perfect......

Well the shorter cruises are party cruises and you are going during spring break.  We are all different I would not want to bring my 15 year old daughter any where near this ship.

I agree with newleno. I've been on the Sky during Spring Break and the are MANY young adults partaking in the open bar perk. Some behave, most don't. Your Daughter would be exposed to this and may look up to them, as they are not much older.

Your choice though.

Most colleges have spring break in March...late April is when they begin prep for finals. 

That being said, I was on the Sky in December. There were certainly many young adults on the ship because alcohol is included. There were also several teens on the ship with their parents.

I think it really depends on your parenting style and what you deem acceptable/your comfort level.

On 2/27/2019 at 6:06 AM, Timmay77 said:

Cruising on Spring Break is not a good idea for anyone unless you’re a college student and 21 years old. Not just the Norwegian Sky but any cruise at that time of year will be impacted except maybe Disney because most college students can’t afford Disney and they wouldn’t put up with drunken college students.

Technically, 99% of the schools are no longer out for Spring Break that late in April. So all of the Spring Break replies aren't really valid........

Her school is out on a Friday and a Monday for another reason other than Spring Break, which is in late March, like most other school's break.

https://www.studentcity.com/when-is-my-spring-break

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Timmay77 said:

Technically, 99% of the schools are no longer out for Spring Break that late in April. So all of the Spring Break replies aren't really valid........

Her school is out on a Friday and a Monday for another reason other than Spring Break, which is in late March, like most other school's break.

https://www.studentcity.com/when-is-my-spring-break

Spring Break/Easter Break whatever you want to call it.  I just plugged in 1 random college in the google (just to see if they had a break during easter) yep april 18-22.  In addition this particular college students were not allowed to stay in the dorms, so that presents a perfect time to party on the NCL sky

I have Sky twice (granted to Cuba - slightly different crowd) but I didn't see anyone too crazy, I've actually seen worse on Princess. In my opinion it would be a wonderfully memorable time for your daughter to spend one on one with Dad. I'm sure she would love it.

It's also Easter weekend so I would assume a few families.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

Spring Break/Easter Break whatever you want to call it.  I just plugged in 1 random college in the google (just to see if they had a break during easter) yep april 18-22.  In addition this particular college students were not allowed to stay in the dorms, so that presents a perfect time to party on the NCL sky

If you look at the link posted above, tbe vast majority of college spring breaks happen in March, you must’ve landed on one of the 1% that doesn’t. 

OP it sounds like a great idea! Over Easter there will be a lot of teens for her to meet. I’ve had five 15 year olds, unfortunately this won’t be the first time your daughter will see drinking and overindulging. On our last cruise, my entire family walked by a middle aged woman passed out on the Gem on our way to muster. None of my teens were even remotely impressed with public drunkenness, I think it was actually a deterrent!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

If you look at the link posted above, tbe vast majority of college spring breaks happen in March, you must’ve landed on one of the 1% that doesn’t. 

OP it sounds like a great idea! Over Easter there will be a lot of teens for her to meet. I’ve had five 15 year olds, unfortunately this won’t be the first time your daughter will see drinking and overindulging. On our last cruise, my entire family walked by a middle aged woman passed out on the Gem on our way to muster. None of my teens were even remotely impressed with public drunkenness, I think it was actually a deterrent!

the college i looked at had both march and april breaks, Fordham.  Hmm I dont know it was just a random pick but since that is easter weekend I would not be surprised if many other schools did the same.  It really is just a personal choice, a lot of young people will have 3 or 4 days weekends, a great time to book the ncl sky booze cruze.

Edited by Newleno

Looks like you'll be in GSC and Nassau. I was on the Sky in June to Cuba and GSC. I am your age. There was drinking. There were some people that were drunk. However, I didn't see any vomiting, fighting or nudity. I avoided the night club on board. The Hairy man contest was a bit over the top. Stuff like that can be avoided by reading the Dailies and avoiding anything you feel might turn into an "eye sore". I wouldn't let it stop you. You can always use any behavior you find inappropriate as a good discussion point on responsibility.

Additionally, other than embarkation and debarkation days you'll most likely be doing excursions. Pick excursions that don't involve alcohol. I truly hope you go and have a wonderful time. My dad turned 70 a few days ago and I cherish the time we have spent "just us" through the years.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

the college i looked at had both march and april breaks, Fordham.  Hmm I dont know it was just a random pick but since that is easter weekend I would not be surprised if many other schools did the same.  It really is just a personal choice, a lot of young people will have 3 or 4 days weekends, a great time to book the ncl sky booze cruze.

I don’t think there are many colleges that give 4 day weekends for Easter. Fordham is Jesuit (dd’s boyfriend attends, and she was just accepted into Villanova and Scranton, both give 4 days off for Easter). I guess one would check out how many Florida colleges have off, flights are SO expensive over Easter. I’d expect a ton of families, though. How pricey is the cruise?

We've taken all our kids on the Sky and it was totally appropriate for them. Like another poster said, you can avoid inappropriate activities by reading the dailies. People are going to drink on every cruise you go on, I don't feel like this one is really different. We cruised on the Sky 2 separate times. Once was before it was all inclusive, we went without the kids. The 2nd time was after it was all-inclusive and we didn't notice a difference. We stayed away from the night parties and such, but our teens went to the white party with the teen group. It was fine.

• Like 2