Mardi Gras

wardwhitty

It looks like the excitement of the Mardi Gras has died down.  I have not seen any real news out there since it started booking.  Any news anyone has come across or updates.  The carnival website doesn't really show much.  We are just very excited and eager to see whats in store !!  Its silly we have been Platnium for years with Carnival so definitely not a newbie but this is such a change for Carnival.

Why is it a change for Carnival?  In the past they have built what at the time was the largest ship in the industry.  From what I have seen Mardi Gras will still have the feel and look of other Carnival ships.  From Fantasy to Horizon, you still know you are on Carnival ship when sailing on one their ships. 

You're probably NOT going to hear much about it until construction is underway and the powers that be direct J Heald to start feeding out tidbits.

It's almost March 2019.  I don't think the ship is ready fro pax until late spring or Summer 2020.

I would usually just casually follow the news of a new build, since we usually don't sail on a ship in the first few months after debut.  I did follow the news about Horizon a little closer since we were sailing on her in the inaugural season (albeit December 2018), but, with the Vista already out, there wasn't much that was going to be revolutionary.

However, I've already booked on Mardi Gras and am also anxiously awaiting more news.  I tend to agree with the OP that the Mardi Gras is a different animal, in that they are mostly departing from the same general layout used (with a few tweaks here and there, especially starting with Dream class and then Vista class) to something entirely new and fresh with the Mardi Gras and the "XL" class (or is it referred to as the Mardi Gras class now?). 

I know we're not going to see any real meaty news until much later in the process, but I for one would think they would try to capitalize on the initial excitement by throwing a few tidbits at us here and there over the next couple of months.

59 minutes ago, wardwhitty said:

I have never booked or followed along on a new ship being built so I was just looking to see if there were any websites, or blogs that may show the progress.  I know its early but thought there might be something out there.

Hi Wardwhitty ☺️

My wife & I are booked on the September 30th, 2020 15-night repositioning, Journeys sailing on Mardi Gras. I've never followed along either in regards to a new ship build, until now.

Yes, there are starting points where you can begin. I will list mine. I began to follow & keep an eye on press releases from the Meyer Turku Shipyard itself. They are located in Denmark & are building Mardi Gras. The 1st steel cutting for Mardi Gras took place on November 15th, 2018. 

I also now follow the Meyer Turku Shipyard on Instagram, as well as their Twitter account. Also note that on Instagram, other than their own page, and on their Instagram page, the Meyer Turku Shipyard is hashtaged so you can dig even deeper. 

I also follow the Facebook page of, and created by the Meyer Turku Shipyard.

I follow a private group on Facebook for Carnival Mardi Gras for general updates. Not a Facebook group for a particular sailing, but the Mardi Gras Facebook group that has 2.5 thousand members. Simply request to join.

Not much info so far. Mainly a lot of Meyer Turku Shipyard employee posts, photos, etc. But be patient. I also type the Meyer Turku Shipyard into YouTube & Google news from time to time to see if anything pops up.

I'm hopeful that in the upcoming weeks & months we'll begin to see press releases, video, photos, etc..

Good luck in your research, have a terrific day!

☺️

Edited by PortSideCruzan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

I began to follow & keep an eye on press releases from the Meyer Turku Shipyard itself. They are located in Denmark & are building Mardi Gras.

Minor correction, in case anyone goes to Denmark looking for the shipyard:

Meyer Turku shipyard is in Finland.  A very different country.

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Minor correction, in case anyone goes to Denmark looking for the shipyard:

Meyer Turku shipyard is in Finland.  A very different country.

Hi ProgRockCruiser ☺️

Thank you, I did go back to edit Denmark to Finland, but it didn't stick. Wasn't sure if I should've made a new post to correct it or not. I don't want anyone looking for a shipyard in Denmark either, LOL!

Again, thank you very much!

😊

3 hours ago, wardwhitty said:

The carnival website doesn't really show much.

Well, while they don't have every detail, they had enough on there about it to make my DH want to go on it. So, there's a very good possibility that we could be booking her for April of 2021. :classic_unsure:

Still very early like others have said, itineraries was the most recent news as well as the “zones”; will probably get more updates as the ship comes together so probably early summer. Since she’s due to debut August 31, 2020.

Keep a look out for the Costa Smeralda & P&O’s Iona which are the next two in the class to come out before Mardi Gras, which will give a general idea of the ship and class overall. Can’t wait to see the Mardi Gras next year though!

Just come off the AIDAnova, which is the same class as Mardi Gras, Costa Smeralda and Iona.  (Am booked on the Costa Smeralda's christening in November).  Really enjoyed the AIDAnova and there is lots of info on the AIDA board!