Muster Drill Question

Jenn1974

We are sailing next Month.  My mother has vascular issues and can't stand for long period of times.  I know Carnival will accommodate her possibly by letting her go to the theater during muster drill.   But who do I need to notify of her condition?   Has anyone had to ask for special accommodations during muster drill before?  Will she need a note from her doctor?   Any insight would be greatly appreciated.   We are sailing on the Liberty if that makes any difference. 

I had open heart surgery three years ago in three months after I was on a cruise on the Carnival pride we went to our Muster Station which was outside when they scanned my card I told them I had open heart surgery I just can’t stand here in this heat a cat a crewmember walked me inside and sat me in the dining room where was the air conditioning until the master was done

5 minutes ago, NJEMT29 said:

I had open heart surgery three years ago in three months after I was on a cruise on the Carnival pride we went to our Muster Station which was outside when they scanned my card I told them I had open heart surgery I just can’t stand here in this heat a cat a crewmember walked me inside and sat me in the dining room where was the air conditioning until the master was done

We did this for my MIL as well, we informed the crew member who was scanning cards about her not being able to stand for long periods and they walked her inside to sit in the lounge closest to our muster station. 

I thought I heard somewhere that you just check in with Guest Services & they will have a specific place for your Mom to go.  Not sure what ship you are going on, but it is true that some of the ships have the muster drills inside, but certainly not all. 

• Like 1

You should (1) call the Special Needs Department and have her condition noted on her reservation, (2) ask at Guest Services regarding the procedure for your specific ship/sailing regarding muster drills.

We have had muster drills handled a couple of different ways for DH.  They have had a "special needs" muster area on one ship and on another they have had everyone join their regular muster area (indoor) and make note of those people who would require special assistance in case of an emergency.  Those people were excused from the outside portion of the muster drill.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Garth2 said:

The muster drill (safety briefing) has been held indoors on our last 2 cruises where most of the passengers were able to sit.  You should probably call Carnival directly.

The OP said they are cruising on Liberty, which unfortunately conducts the safety briefing outdoors. 

1 hour ago, Garth2 said:

The muster drill (safety briefing) has been held indoors on our last 2 cruises where most of the passengers were able to sit.  You should probably call Carnival directly.

As mentioned, not all ships have indoor muster drills. Only certain ships. 

My husband has some health issues also and will be using his walker or cane, we’ll have both with us.  We are sailing on the Dream, so I know they have indoor muster and he would be able to sit down , but He can not do the stairs. Every muster I’ve ever attended you have to go to muster and return using the stairs. There are always crew members standing at the elevators, so when they see us will they automatically let us use the elevator?

I've had knee surgery twice, and had no problems with asking a crew member where I could go for Muster drill.  Every ship is a little different.  

Try to head to wherever your muster station is "BEFORE" they do the big announcement.  That way you can take the elevator.  Once the drill is over, you are usually free to use the elevators, but they will be crowded.  I'd suggest heading to a bar nearby and enjoy a frosty adult beverage until the crowd clears.

16 hours ago, Border Granny said:

My husband has some health issues also and will be using his walker or cane, we’ll have both with us.  We are sailing on the Dream, so I know they have indoor muster and he would be able to sit down , but He can not do the stairs. Every muster I’ve ever attended you have to go to muster and return using the stairs. There are always crew members standing at the elevators, so when they see us will they automatically let us use the elevator?

Yes, they will permit you to use the elevators.

• 2 weeks later...