Juneau - Salmon Bake?

phabric

no, but I did contact Gold Creek direct...asking about their shuttle and if it was available to the public (answer was no)

Other option which we are considering is renting a car and driving there ourselves

• Thanks 1

we opted to do a whale watch with a private company, then if time permits go to Gold Creek.

Our tour operator gave us recommendations at a local restaurant if the salmon bake is not do able.

Not quite the same, but we have a longer whale watch tour 

We did the Gold Creek Salmon Bake this past May on our own.  We had rented a car for the day so on our way to Mendenhall & St. Therese we stopped by the salmon bake to check if we actually could do it on our own.  No problem!  (I had heard there was a booth near the cruise dock where one can buy the salmon bake but we never were able to spot it...)  The lady who was in charge let us go ahead and pay at that time so we wouldn't have to [possibly] stand in line later.  She said it really didn't matter what time we showed up (during their open hours) because they would have groups coming and going the entire afternoon & evening.  There isn't much parking for cars but it doesn't matter because most everyone comes on a shuttle.  They have a trail out to a waterfall on the creek that the lady told us to go on and take pictures because the light was good at that time (maybe 3 PM) as we told her it would probably be around 7 PM when we came back to eat.  The food was good and it's all you can eat.  The grounds of the place are nice with plenty of photo opportunities.  There was a fellow playing a guitar and singing who was great - he was from Arkansas, not too far from where I live in Oklahoma. Ha Ha  (I recognized his accent when he was talking...)  It might be a little hard to find the location because it's not well marked and their sign isn't too big - they aren't really expecting people coming on their own but it's totally doable.  Good luck!

IMG_6241.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_5060.jpg

Edited by SuperCrewBear
  • Like 1

If you are feeling really rich, you could take the flight out to Taku Lodge for a beautiful lunch beside the glacier...with a fair chance of bear sightings...at the BBQ pit !

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 10:39 PM, SuperCrewBear said:

...  The lady who was in charge let us go ahead and pay at that time so we wouldn't have to [possibly] stand in line later.  She said it really didn't matter what time we showed up (during their open hours) because they would have groups coming and going the entire afternoon & evening.  There isn't much parking for cars but it doesn't matter because most everyone comes on a shuttle.  

How much did they charge you for this salmon bake?  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, hlightle said:

Celebrity is charging 103 per person feels like I am getting robbed

DEFINITELY!  I just found the price - $55 adult, $41 child. That's a sweet profit for the cruise line...  The cruises I've taken, I've only bought a couple excursions from the ship just for that very reason.  You can get the exact same thing on your own and save quite a bit.  I estimated we saved enough on each excursion for us to have a nice meal somewhere after each excursion.  If it's even a small group traveling together, imagine the total savings!

• Thanks 1

Is that $103 just for the Salmon Bake?!!

We bought an excursion through Royal Caribbean for the Mendenhall Glacier and the Salmon Bake together for $70 pp.  That seemed reasonable to me. 

• Thanks 1