Shore excursions booking

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I don't think it's a good idea to book a cruise based on one must-see port or one must-do excursion. 

I agree and that is not the case here. I am not talking about missing 1 excursion - this is 4 out of 10 that I may not be able to do (that's 40%). Sure, I can choose another excursion in those ports but why should I do something that is not my choice but do it because that is what is "left" It's not like these "free" excursions are really free - they are included and thus I paid for them already in the fare of the cruise. Let's not forget what Regent cruises cost - hence one should be able to do things one wants to do and not what Regent let's you do.

I'll try to be an optimist. When they tend to clear, when does that happen - before the cruise or during the cruise?

Also, should I book another excursion in the ports where I am waitlisted or does that lessen my chance of getting my waitlisted tour cleared? Will it even let me book another one as it would interfere with the timing of my waitlisted tour. How do I change a booked excursion online or do I have to call to do that?

TIA

PS We have visited all these places before and I specifically chose to see things we did not do before.

Edited by Paulchili

Just now, Paulchili said:

.……….I'll try to be an optimist. When they tend to clear, when does that happen - before the cruise or during the cruise?

Also, should I book another excursion in the ports where I am waitlisted or does that lessen my chance of getting my waitlisted tour cleared? Will it even let me book another one as it would interfere with the timing of my waitlisted tour. How do I change a booked excursion online or do I have to call to do that?

TIA

PS We have visited all these places before and I specifically chose to see things we did not do before.

I felt your pain before the 2018WC. We booked at final payment and on one segment, at each port the excursion we wanted was booked up. I went ahead and picked alternates but, like you, they were mostly things we had already done. Then I followed a suggestion from CC. I called Regent's Destination department. They wait listed us on the excursions that were our first choices in all ports and also in two of the ports waited listed us on an excursion that was our second choice and left the alternate I had picked before I called in place. All except two cleared before we left home. The other two cleared after we boarded. They were offering a new excursion after we boarded that was better than our first choice so we cancelled and took the new one instead.

My experience of over 200 days on Regent is it usually works out. A lot of things can change from booking 180 days out to the actual day of the excursion.......times added, change of stops, tour canceled and new ones offered on the ship.     

Edited by cwn

3 minutes ago, cwn said:

My experience of over 200 days on Regent is it usually works out. A lot of things can change from booking 180 days out to the actual day of the excursion.......times added, change of stops, tour canceled and new ones offered on the ship.     

Thank you - that sounds very promising.

I'll stay optimistic.

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I agree and that is not the case here. I am not talking about missing 1 excursion - this is 4 out of 10 that I may not be able to do (that's 40%). Sure, I can choose another excursion in those ports but why should I do something that is not my choice but do it because that is what is "left" It's not like these "free" excursions are really free - they are included and thus I paid for them already in the fare of the cruise. Let's not forget what Regent cruises cost - hence one should be able to do things one wants to do and not what Regent let's you do.

I'll try to be an optimist. When they tend to clear, when does that happen - before the cruise or during the cruise?

TIA

Paulchili - sorry if I sounded 'preachy' in my earlier post, that wasn't my intention at all.  I wanted to say that in our somewhat limited nights on Regent (compared to some posters here) we've maybe had to rethink 2 or 3 ports because our excursions didn't clear.  I agree that it's a good idea to call Regent directly and speak with an agent, and if by some chance you don't clear the waitlist prior to embarking, make a stop at Destination Services as soon as you board and talk to them.  My past experience on clearing waitlists has been probably over 95%, if not higher.  I was just trying to let you know that there's a possibility that you may miss one of your choices and if it was really important to you that you needed to be prepared for that eventuality.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your cruise!!

26 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Thank you and I am sure we will enjoy the cruise one way or another.

Whether we will  return depends on our overall experience.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:42 PM, SWFLAOK said:

Thanks for that link. We have a post-cruise tour booked through our TA, but didn't think to look there for an overnight during the cruise. We'll have to check that out.

Thanks once again JohnG. While our excursions still aren't available,  the overlands that you pointed to are available. We just booked the overnight in Bangkok-Royal Wonders, small group excursion, through our Travel Agent. Hopefully we get enough people to sign up, and stay at the Sheraton Orchid overnight, as suggested by the itinerary. It has great reviews on Trip Advisor, and it looks like dinner options are varied and reasonably priced. I'd rather see sites that are real, and are parts of Bangkok's history instead of 20th century replicas and mansions with collections bought by expats.

Edited by SWFLAOK
added that we did it through our TA

6 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Thanks once again JohnG. While our excursions still aren't available,  the overlands that you pointed to are available. We just booked the overnight in Bangkok-Royal Wonders, small group excursion, through our Travel Agent. Hopefully we get enough people to sign up, and stay at the Sheraton Orchid overnight, as suggested by the itinerary. It has great reviews on Trip Advisor, and it looks like dinner options are varied and reasonably priced. I'd rather see sites that are real, and are parts of Bangkok's history instead of 20th century replicas and mansions with collections bought by expats.

The first time we visited Bangkok (land vacation), we thought that it was crazy.  Subsequent visits proved otherwise.  The Sheraton Orchid is a lovely hotel.  There is so much to see in Bangkok and the food is amazing.  Truly hope that you are able to do the "small group excursion".