Breakaway Live! March 10-17, 2019

jakeawhite

Traffic can be a pain getting to the port.  You're right, it wasn't very well thought out.  NOLA cruise port is a bit different from some other areas in that it is literally mixed in with other stuff.

The next time we cruise from there I'm booking a spot at Fulton Place Parking, dropping kids and luggage off at the back entrance to the cruise terminal (Julia Street) and then parking and walking the two tenths of a mile extra.  Plus you can get covered parking there.

Things are cruising right along here (see what I did there? I know what you’re thinking - I’m hilarious)

This morning we slept in and then went to eat breakfast in the buffet. It was pretty good IMO. I especially liked the eggs, they were very good for eggs prepared in mass. I also enjoyed that pizza was available! I’ll always pick up a slice if available.

It did appear that it’s had the same idea as us, as seating was PACKED, but we did find a table and it was enjoyable.

From there we did a quick tour of the outside decks and determined that the chair-hogs were out in force. Tons of chairs with towels but no owners. O worries though, we had other things to sea! (Again, I get it. I’m funny)

We walked around a bit more then to our room on deck 14 to grab our books, though we never got to reading them.

Went to O’ Sheehan’s for lunch. We ended up at a high-too table. It was pretty packed, but we snagged it as another couple walked away. Took about 10 mins for our order to be taken, but we were not in a hurry at all so no people. I make it a point to never be I a hurry on vacation, it only leads to disappointment!

I had the fish & chips and wife had the burger. They were both surprisingly good!

91f93efc791bfc065e91131cb9abf259.jpg

Then grabbed two mudslides from the atrium bar!

6576d2bc24c04606ceec0fa098015211.jpg
Sipped on those heading back to our room for a bit. We tried to find a seat for Deal or No Deal, but the atrium was packed and we didn’t want to stand around.

My wife enjoys the air conditioning and I prefer a sea breeze. This is our first time in a balcony room and I had something I wanted to try

ce9058ed85ca07e112e0e5e2b3661966.jpg

bbe6a8d408c2d1866718c86384d92abb.jpg

I hung my Kammok brand camping hammock on our balcony! I’m hanging here writing this post as the waves roll by! Talk about living my best life.....

Tonight we’re going to Burn The Floor and then late dinner in Cagneys Steakhouse. I’ll update y’all later tonight or tomorrow morning on those! We’re big broadway fans and travel to New York yearly for shows, so really looking forward to see how these bigger name shows go at sea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Hotdog 52 said:

be sure to catch the band and singers at the Pour House.  they are great.

Yes, check the dailies and watch what is scheduled at the Pour House.  Some nights the singers from the Rock Of Ages cast will join in.  Really fun venue with talented singers & band.

Edited by Sand and Seas

2 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Yes, check the dailies and watch what is scheduled at the Pour House.  Some nights the singers from the Rock Of Ages cast will join in.  Really fun venue with talented singers & band.

We spent every night in there on our repositioning cruise in Oct/Nov.  Shanti and the Guilty Pleasures were great.  Get there early to find a seat.

6 hours ago, jakeawhite said:

bbe6a8d408c2d1866718c86384d92abb.jpg

I hung my Kammok brand camping hammock on our balcony! I’m hanging here writing this post as the waves roll by! Talk about living

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you use to hang the hammock? Sounds like a good idea to me. I’d like to bring mine!  Also...are you planning on leaving it up the whole time?

Edited by BeachyBoo

In Costa Maya, take the trolley into the little town and go to the Crazy Lobster.  Free chairs on the beach, free thatched canopy s and free kayaks. Bucket of 5 beers for 5 dollars.  You can also get a 20 dollar one hour massage just down the beach or 25 dollars for an hour massage at the Crazy Lobster.  You also get a free drink for just showing up.

18 hours ago, BeachyBoo said:

What did you use to hang the hammock? Sounds like a good idea to me. I’d like to bring mine!  Also...are you planning on leaving it up the whole time?

I'd like to leave it up the whole time, but they keep telling us the stewards will bring inside any items left on balcony. I've noticed every time he cleans the room the rearranges chairs on balcony, so I think it's true!

I used the straps with my hammock to mount it, was pretty easy (i'm 6'1) to get it over beams! If your hammock does not have straps like this I HIGHLY reccommend them! You can buy cheap on Amazon as well.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Butt-Kodiak-Hammock-Straps/dp/B01D3PSKHI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=hammock+straps&qid=1552423847&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

image.thumb.png.c44b2e7f4f9b120f8615164d17e93507.png

image.thumb.png.fc2b28828196c0beca329e2c45949afa.png

• Like 1

Cruise time is really getting to me, I'm having a hard time remembering where I left off!

We had a nice relaxing afternoon yesterday, then saw burn the floor at 7pm. It was entertaining, but nothing to rave about IMO. We did enjoy the show, but the best part was definitely the finale!

image.thumb.png.71f8f16a5691ec7d74eb5711f1ca07f6.png

Following the show we went to the Atrium to check out the life guitarist, Randon. He seems very good!  He finished his set about 20 minutes after we arrived, so we didn't get to see much of him. We plan to go find him tonight!

Onward to Cagney's! We showed up at 8:30 for our reservation at 9pm. We were seated almost immediately outside which was very nice! This place has probably some of the most attentive waiters/waitresses I've ever encountered! I had the pork belly for an appetizer and it was OUT OF THIS WORLD delicious and tender! My wife had the lobster bisque and it was just okay, she tasted mine and wished she also ordered it.

I only remember pics after the first bite it seems:

image.thumb.png.6fe3d745ea7edaf4d5b80ed678725712.png

I ordered the 8oz Filet w/ truffel mashed potatoes and broccoli. Wife ordered Surf N' Turn which is the same with jump grilled shrimp on a skewer.

image.thumb.png.c5c98793c609235abc8c488c01879b32.png

My steak was cooked very well and was tasty and tender. My wife also got the truffle fries and we found them a bit odd. The waiters were almost too attentive and we had to grind through a conversation with a representitave from the spa who was asking a bunch of questions to guests stuck at their table for dinner. Seemed like kind of a dick move to me!

I had the 7 layer chocolate cake for desert and wife had the OMG brownie. The cake was definitely DELICIOUS!

image.thumb.png.e302774ebf346181ba4b4e8cf651b9f5.png

Altogether I'd say it was a good meal, but not the best I've had by a long shot. Our steakhouse adventure on Carnival Freedom in December was better all around I think.

After this late dinner we puttered out pretty quickly. We checked out some live music, Syd's was packed and we just weren't feeling the duo playing in the atrium. On to bed and onward to Cozumel!

• Like 1

I woke up just in time to watch us make our final approach and dock in Cozumel. The operation seemed to go very smoothly. Breakaway is significantly longer than this dock at Punta Langosta.

At the other two ports today were two Carnival Ships, one MSC, and two RCL.

image.thumb.png.86552e89513b32e23028d38a331644a5.png

image.thumb.png.8ea034e8483f698d038ef78b6292ee52.png

image.thumb.png.c6e1a222c5a946b9aed1ad440fa3149a.png

image.thumb.png.20c7918928e7da053a273570f0d52371.png

image.thumb.png.2e4fb73d5794cb50a360b666c651f263.png

image.thumb.png.95f844e5c6daea9180278bad5ff0fec4.png

Shore excursion crew first off.

image.thumb.png.521d80369c206fbf703b70ab0e6f16e6.png

First guests

image.thumb.png.e9434b01a9d116502c317ae81c763257.png

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, jakeawhite said:

We were able to book on a group rate that I found in a Facebook group that provided us with the Unlimited Beverage Package with gratuities included!

Also, it paid our overall daily gratuities. This worked out a much better deal for us then using NCLs "free at sea" promotions as we would have had to pay grats on UBP and dailies.

I've never heard of finding a group rate on Facebook.  Is this common thing? I thinking about booking the Breakaway's 05-12-19 sailing out of Miami.  How to I go about finding if there is a group rate for this cruise on Facebook? 

(P.S. I'm less than a novice with Facebook)

On 3/6/2019 at 10:16 PM, sailorchick17 said:

We will be following your posts as we also board the Breakaway on March 17 when you leave the ship.  We are coming in from Canada and will be arriving in NOLA on Wednesday prior to sailing.

Looking forward to following along with your posts and seeing what we have in store for us 🙂

Us too 🙋🏼‍♀️

On 3/6/2019 at 10:16 PM, sailorchick17 said:

We will be following your posts as we also board the Breakaway on March 17 when you leave the ship.  We are coming in from Canada and will be arriving in NOLA on Wednesday prior to sailing.

Looking forward to following along with your posts and seeing what we have in store for us 🙂

On 3/10/2019 at 7:22 AM, Human Speedbump said:

We are on the March 17 cruise, and we live in the Baton Rouge area.

Our favorite cajun/seafood restaurant in Baton Rouge is Parrain's on Perkins Road. Acme Oyster House is almost next door if that's more your liking.

In the event that you run late getting in to Baton Rouge, Lafayette has one of bthe best cajun restaurants there is anywhere. Its called Prejean's and its about 2 miles north of I-10 on the service road to I-49.

Happy eating...ask away if you need any BR info.

Edit: I just realized im a day late...DUH!!!

Did you check into our Roll Call? We have a meet and mingle with NCL officers scheduled! 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2429799-ncl-breakaway-march-17-2019/

Check out our (unreasonably quiet) Roll Call thread if you haven't already! 

Hope you can make the M&M!!

@sailorchick17 @Human Speedbump

Edited by redmomof4

Continuing on!

We had at great time at Mr. Sancho's yesterday! Wait staff was FAR quicker than what I've seen on ship (an observation, not necessarily a complaint) the drinks kept flowing and we really enjoyed it. One complaint is that the sand is pretty rough, but water is beautiful and pools are very nice. Even with a full crowd we did not have any trouble getting a table or finding space in pool when we wanted to. Food was about what we expected, not bad but nothing great.

Took awhile for us to get go going from Cozumel, it appears one excursion arrived rather late. I enjoyed watching everyone from our starboard balcony. I set up the GoPro for a time lapse, but haven't had time to edit into something watchable. Hopefully I'll post later on!

We went to Savor for dinner last night and it was very good!

I got both the Smoked Mozzarella Ravioli and the Spare Ribs as an appetizer.

image.thumb.png.2942b2bc41b4bfe682bc32bea8cca466.png

image.thumb.png.d1b52a8a3919389e1e51e8d64667310e.png

Both were delicious, but the spare ribs blew me away!

I then had the Bang Bang Chicken and Shrimp which was prepared very well and I ate every bit!

image.thumb.png.c3544cad74e9fbb68941c8eed5886f69.png

Afterwords we went to check out karaoke for awhile in Syd's - it was a lot of fun. It only lasted an 1 hour 15mins though. That's one of my biggest complaints with NCL so far, all the things I enjoy (mostly live music around the ship) are only for relatively short periods of time then they're done.  We rather enjoy relaxing in a lounge/atrium/etc and watching a musician or karaoke for a few hours. Everything feels a bit compartmentalized to me.

Wednesday morning! Today is Belize City, we had already decided to stay on the ship today. We woke up around 9:15am and grabbed some breakfast at the buffet. Change into bathing suits and went up to the pool deck and found some loungers in the shade by the pool. The breeze was FANTASTIC! Seems mostly family's with kids stay onboard today, everyone seemed very happy running around enjoying the pools and sun!

We left for a bit for some lunch then back to our spots for another hours or two. We then took a walk around the ship and played some ski-ball and air-hockey (Wife beat me at air-hockey twice, still hurts) before going back to our room while the tenders returned all the passengers that visited Belize today. We were supposed to leave at 5pm, but I believe there was a tender (water ferry?) that arrive around 5:45! I wish I knew the story there. It looks like we're only about 70 miles to Harvest Caye so I'm not worried.

We decided to try out Margeritaville tonight - I'm not sure how a feel yet. We went at the perfect time and got to watch the sunset over the water as we navigated out of port. Our Volcano nachos arrived very quickly as did my first "Perfect Margarita" but then things kind of fizzled. We didn't see out waiter again for 30 minutes. Again, I don't like schedules or being in a hurry on vacation, but this seemed a bit odd. Another 5 minutes and he comes by to tell us our food is on the way, at that time I ask for another drink. Only 8 of the around 25 tables were occupied with three waiters.

image.thumb.png.d704a9c78a90093e0245c4d9b435d9b0.png

image.thumb.png.beb66fca359d5567c440478a6d71d712.png

Finally our food cable out. I'm going to be honest, this place is about the experience, not the food. The burgers were what you'd find in any middle school cafeteria (nothing against lunch ladies!).

image.thumb.png.151657ac270cfec579717ac857ffb2ec.png

We then went for a walk around the ship, found this and thought it was a little funny. Time to dump those?

image.thumb.png.d6f8583c31572b29aa5728296185ea39.png

Walked around and enjoyed the breeze a bit more on the ship - it's a nice night! The entertainment options seem to be a bit limited tonight, nothing that interested us enough. We find ourselves missing the piano bar on Carnival ships, our favorite place to hang out every night! We ended up grabbing an ice cream cone and are hanging out in the room now. No big complaints, we're content to just watch some TV and go to bed! We'll go enjoy Harvest Caye tomorrow when we get up and will see Rock of Ages tomorrow night!

Just a kind of "boring" day here, but we've enjoyed ourselves! Hope everyone is still finding this useful!

• Like 1