Bonaire beach snorkel?

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Any snorkeling (or swimming) areas within walking distance from the cruise terminal?  Thank you.

Our experience indicates that the snorkeling is far enough off shore that they use a boat to get to the snorkel areas.

37 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Our experience indicates that the snorkeling is far enough off shore that they use a boat to get to the snorkel areas.

I agree with previous posters that Woodwind is the best. However if you must snorkel from land we have found there are lots of fish at Spice Beach Club. You enter the water from a dock/ladder. Food is decent, drinks are good, chairs, umbrellas. No “beach” to speak of like other islands, mostly coral rock. You can taxi there or take a water taxi. We even saw an octopus the last time we were there. Not very crowded. 

• 4 weeks later...

We walked to Divi Dive resort, just to the right of the cruise ship.  $20 pp for a chair and their facilities, including wifi password.  Steps into water, onto dead coral, small beach, but the snorkeling was amazing.  So many fish of all sizes and colors.  There are loungers with umbrellas, the restrooms were clean, and there is a pool- though we spent all our time snorkeling!  We have our own snorkel equipment- I don't believe there are rentals, but since it's a diving resort, you could ask.  We just showed up that day, no reservations.

I will also add that Woodwind is one of the best trips for snorkeling.  Great equipment, nice boat, wonderful service, easy walk from the ship, great price and some of the best snorkeling you will ever experience.  One of those must do excursions.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, janetz said:

Another option which we did

Rent a golf cart at port and go on your own

You can rent the gear there and they give you a map 

Just riding around the island is fun 

BoniareCruisers.com

Wicked fun  😊

There's a spelling error in your website, so it doesn't work.  Try www.bonairecruisers.com/ instead.

• Like 1

I agree wit the other posters on Woodwind. We were with them this past February and they are first rate. If you are concerned about shade, just be one of the first to get on the boat. The shaded galley area fills up first and if you're not on first you will be directed to the front of the boat with no shade. 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, Host Clarea said:

Best snorkeling on Bonaire:  https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

Agreed! Plus, plenty of shady places on the boat to sit and relax while others are out snorkeling. I am not sure if they have beer, but I know that they offered several other beverage choices. And the price is only $65 for the 4-hour tour.

Edited by BTHodgeman

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:51 PM, bonsai3s said:

Any snorkeling (or swimming) areas within walking distance from the cruise terminal?  Thank you.

When we were in Bonaire a number of years ago, we walked off the ship, turned right, and walked just a very short distance (less than a block) to a lovely little beach with coral and nice snorkeling.  Hardly anyone else there, until a little group of school kids and their teacher joined us.  

When we were in Bonaire a number of years ago, we walked off the ship, turned right, and walked just a very short distance (less than a block) to a lovely little beach with coral and nice snorkeling.  Hardly anyone else there, until a little group of school kids and their teacher joined us.  

• Like 1

We rented golf carts from Bonaire Cruisers ($95 per cart). They gave us snorkel gear and detailed maps. We ended up at 1000 steps beach and had some great snorkeling. Afterwards we toured the island at 25 mph. It was a great way to see Bonaire. We would do it again in a heartbeat! 

On 3/5/2019 at 12:43 PM, iluvit! said:

Researching tours for an ABC Freedom Cruise in May.  For those familiar with Calabaza snorkeling with turtles tours in Barbados, are their comomparable tours in any of the ABC islands, preferably Bonaire? My DH no longer enjoys snorkeling so I’m looking for an on the water experience that can be enjoyed without getting in. Nice boat with shade and comfy place to sit, some beers, nice views. I think we paid $115 for Calabaza and he said it was worth it even without snorkeling.

Since your DH doesn't want to snorkel, one shore excursion that you might look at if it's offered is the "Sailing semi-sub Aquaspace."  This is onboard a trimaran sailing vessel that was built for Jacque Cousteau.  It has an underwater viewing area where you can see underwater.  It also stops for beautiful snorkeling.   I snorkeled for close to an hour around some of the most beautiful reefs.  My wife stayed on board and enjoyed the company of the other people who chose to not snorkel. I believe it also included beer and rum drinks (don't really remember for sure).  So if it's offered on your cruise, check it out. 

Here's a few pics I took on the boat.  There was plenty of shaded seating outside while snorkeling, and during most of the sail out, we were inside at the viewing windows.  

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1118.jpg

DSCN1110.jpg

DSCN1102.jpg

Edited by papaflamingo