Cruise Next Certificates- can’t use on existing booked cruise

BullyLvr

Just off the Breakaway this past Sunday. I purchased 1 certificate for $250 with $100 OB credit, in effect costing me only $150. The salesperson was pretty adamant that I was being stupid in not getting 2, since it would’ve basically been getting one for free, but I was afraid I couldn’t use 2 so I didn’t.  Prior to sailing, I had read several posts here on CC that many of you have had them applied to cruises that were already booked, even though they are supposedly only for new bookings. I had concerns so emailed my TA prior to sailing to ask and she told me yes I could use it for my November cruise since one hadn’t been used before and I was a long way from final payment.

When I purchased onboard, I asked and was told by 2 different salespersons that I could NOT use them on existing bookings, I would need to cancel and rebook. I don’t want to do that since the price has gone up quite a bit and I like my perks, cabin, etc.  so I almost didn’t purchase.....but since my TA told me I could, I did buy the one.

She just called NCL to try and apply and they told her that as of the beginning of the year, they would no longer let you use for an existing booking. She was wonderful and reduced my balance by the $250 anyway ........so a win win for me since I still have it for another cruise. 

But be advised, they may be more strict about it.

6 minutes ago, kfnesq said:

That's a bummer.  I have certainly been able to do it in the past (although I was surprised that it worked, to be honest). 

In Bully's case, not much of a bummer at all, IMHO.  

I booked a POA sailing for July sometime in January. At the time we used 1 cruise next certificate because that was all we had. Just got off the Jade last week and purchased 2 more while on board. Logged into my account when we got home and applied another certificate to my upcoming July cruise. So I was able to use 2 certificates, at 2 different times for the same sailing 4 months from now.

Another example of NCL being inconsistent with EVERYTHING they do?

Interresting. I’m assuming you booked online or thru NCL, not using a TA if you had a way to make payment on your account. The only option I have is to pre pay daily service charges. 

My husband just spoke to a CS rep for NCL last night and was told he could apply the certificate even though both of our booked cruises are past final payment and would be refunded the difference. We are still skeptical.

Will follow up if we decide to try it.

I used 2 cruise reward certs to book my next cruise in 2021.  They even gave me a 4 month extension (should be used by Oct 2020).  But 2 was the limit she said.  I still have 2 more to use up and she said I cannot apply them to this cruise but would need to take another one prior to use them up....

I was able to not only have a friend transfer one he bought that was expiring to me (I paid him for it to help him out) and then was able to apply to my existing booking, that was already paid in full. They issued me a refund of $250. Also, while talking to them, I mentioned that the cruise was a cheaper rate than what I booked and they gave me a refund for that as well.

I have always had great customer service with NCL but I try to stay with the same NCL cruise consultant and have never used a TA.