Flip-flop fines in Cinque Terre trails

marazul

Reminds me of the time I was visiting some archaeological site in Tunisia that involved steep up and down hill walking on uneven gravel and sandy pathways. There was a party of Italians in front of us, and the two women in the group both had on stiletto heels that were at least 3" and probably closer to 4".  It was interesting to watch their progress -- but it was also very unsafe as there was no guard rail (Tunisia being what it is) at the site and one could easily have slipped and plunged down 30 feet or more.

The Romans are still marching on Carthage...  

Calciatus vincit omnia?

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Reminds me of the time I was visiting some archaeological site in Tunisia that involved steep up and down hill walking on uneven gravel and sandy pathways. There was a party of Italians in front of us, and the two women in the group both had on stiletto heels that were at least 3" and probably closer to 4".  It was interesting to watch their progress -- but it was also very unsafe as there was no guard rail (Tunisia being what it is) at the site and one could easily have slipped and plunged down 30 feet or more.

Edited by marazul

4 minutes ago, marazul said:

The Romans are still marching on Carthage...  

Calciatus vincit omnia?

:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:  Yes, 'Carthaginem esse delendam' and all that. Those legionaries wore sensible footwear, nice sturdy caligae that look like huaraches with killer studded soles. 

51 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:  Yes, 'Carthaginem esse delendam' and all that. Those legionaries wore sensible footwear, nice sturdy caligae that look like huaraches with killer studded soles. 

If they had worn high heels it would have been the other way around! 😉

I am all for the fines.  The day I hiked between all 5 villages, my friends and I had our trail shoes (not boots), and plenty of water.  We'd pass tourists in all sorts of footwear.  Many didn't think to bring water.  The shore trails are all exposed, so it's hot and no shade to be had.  It is one of those unfortunate experiences where everyone needs to hike part of the CT, they don't do the research.  The easiest part has been closed since the slides, so it's all basically the goat trails that are available.  

I am all for the fines.  The day I hiked between all 5 villages, my friends and I had our trail shoes (not boots), and plenty of water.  We'd pass tourists in all sorts of footwear.  Many didn't think to bring water.  The shore trails are all exposed, so it's hot and no shade to be had.  It is one of those unfortunate experiences where everyone needs to hike part of the CT, they don't do the research.  The easiest part has been closed since the slides, so it's all basically the goat trails that are available.