Tell me about the Destiny/Sunshine class ships!

KrakedMask

1 hour ago, tallyho8 said:

The original poster asked about the Sunrise, a Sunshine class ship, that used to be the Triumph, a Destiny class ship. I have sailed on the Triumph 4 times and am very familiar with it. Most of the time it was difficult to find a seat in the Lido restaurant because they were so crowded. If you were not early to the showroom you could not get a seat. Many times there were no seats at any of the bars that were open. The 3rd and 4th comedy shows in the Club Rio always had standing room only.

Now when it is converted to Sunrise it is going to hold 1119 more passengers. There will be no more seats in the restaurants and far fewer seats in the lounges since there will be less lounges. The showroom is only going to be half the size holding far less people. 

On Deck 3 they are removing the Rome Showroom and adding 42 cabins in that space. On Deck 5 they converted the area that held the Piano Bar Lounge, Venezia Lounge and the large Club Rio Lounge, into 53 cabins. On Deck 10 they added 6 cabins. On Deck 11 they added 7 cabins making the Spa smaller. On Deck 12 they removed mini-golf. They added 3rd and 4th beds to hundreds of the cabins.

It is ridiculous to say that this ship will not feel more crowded when it is going to have 1119 more passengers and very much less space in the public areas to hold them. I have sailed Carnival very many times and many other cruise lines also and this will be the most crowded ship I have ever seen where people will have to wait much longer to eat or drink or see shows. I know I will never book it. Carnival's Spirit class ships have the most space per person and are a pleasure to sail on. Even the larger Dream class ships have far more space per person that the Sunrise will.

The number of cruisers on a ship is not as important as the number of seats available in the restaurants, lounges and showroom. When you have over 1100 passengers and only about 400 seats in the showroom and the lounges many will be waiting a long time for service.

So the answer to whether you have sailed is a no.....hmmm.  Your reference to everything is more people.  IF and this if makes all the difference here, you had sailed on her you might know that the show room is simply not that crowded, in fact in every ship and every sailing on them with he smaller show rooms you would know that they are in fact not over crowded.  Your reply makes my point.  Do you really think they do not have enough seats in the restaurants for their guests, who is being ridiculous now?  Look around here to those who HAVE sailed (you do to have to look far, just here will do) and you will see that they like the ship.  Sounds like I ham not the one with the ridiculous thoughts....  Oh and all this noise about space ratio is nothing more then gibberish.   Happy to back it up with more real data (not jus the more people means bad) if you want to continue....

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 2:21 PM, KrakedMask said:

Will be taking a 5 day cruise Nov 2-7 on Sunrise with 15 others and already cannot stop doing as much research as I can!

Busy, busy, busy but we had a great time. Secret breakfast on deck 5 aft at the taste bar. (Shhhh). Bottlenecks around Guys Burger and Blue Iguana. Not sure what the architects/designers were thinking but it’s almost dangerous (everyone had to leave the area in order to get a wheel chair through-then people started arguing about the line). But again we had an amazing time. Just roll with the crowds. (We cruised two years in a row on Sunshine). 

11 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

So the answer to whether you have sailed is a no.....hmmm.  Your reference to everything is more people.  IF and this if makes all the difference here, you had sailed on her you might know that the show room is simply not that crowded, in fact in every ship and every sailing on them with he smaller show rooms you would know that they are in fact not over crowded.  Your reply makes my point.  Do you really think they do not have enough seats in the restaurants for their guests, who is being ridiculous now?  Look around here to those who HAVE sailed (you do to have to look far, just here will do) and you will see that they like the ship.  Sounds like I ham not the one with the ridiculous thoughts....  Oh and all this noise about space ratio is nothing more then gibberish.   Happy to back it up with more real data (not jus the more people means bad) if you want to continue....

You are confused. We are talking about the Sunrise, not the Sunshine. No one has sailed on the Sunrise yet because it is still being renovated. The Sunrise will be much more crowded than the Sunshine is because it is a slightly smaller ship and it will be holding about 900 more people than the Sunshine. It is impossible to put 1100 more people on a ship while doing away with many of the public spaces and say it will not be more crowded with longer waits for everything and less chance of getting a poolside seat or a seat in the buffet or showroom at a time that you desire.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

You are confused. We are talking about the Sunrise, not the Sunshine. No one has sailed on the Sunrise yet because it is still being renovated. The Sunrise will be much more crowded than the Sunshine is because it is a slightly smaller ship and it will be holding about 900 more people than the Sunshine. It is impossible to put 1100 more people on a ship while doing away with many of the public spaces and say it will not be more crowded with longer waits for everything and less chance of getting a poolside seat or a seat in the buffet or showroom at a time that you desire.

Really? Gee thanks for the update. The only point of reference we have is the Sunshine, we can compare knowledge about Carnival but it would not serve any purpose (and you would lose).  DId you sail on the Sunshine to see the difference? Again the answer is no.  I see there is no way to have an intelligent conversation so I will move on, so tally ho... 

Edited by jimbo5544

40 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Really? Gee thanks for the update. The only point of reference we have is the Sunshine, we can compare knowledge about Carnival but it would not serve any purpose (and you would lose).  DId you sail on the Sunshine to see the difference? Again the answer is no.  I see there is no way to have an intelligent conversation so I will move on, so tally ho... 

The OP was asking about research on the Sunrise. I gave him facts and figures he could use. Since you only gave him rhetoric with no real information on the Sunrise, maybe it is best for you to move on...…..

12 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

So the answer to whether you have sailed is a no.....hmmm.  Your reference to everything is more people.  IF and this if makes all the difference here, you had sailed on her you might know that the show room is simply not that crowded, in fact in every ship and every sailing on them with he smaller show rooms you would know that they are in fact not over crowded. 

I disagree with your point about the show rooms not being crowded on Sunshine.  We (my wife and I) did an 8 day cruise on Sunshine less than a month ago. The Limelight Lounge was packed for every adult comedy show we attended with people standing against every wall and the rear bar, not to mention the people who couldn’t get in to watch the show because there was no more places to stand. Likewise, the Liquid Lounge was completely filled, with a few single empty seats in various areas, for a couple of music shows we attended. There were also a lot of people standing near the rear bar on deck 4 of the lounge. 

49 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

The OP was asking about research on the Sunrise. I gave him facts and figures he could use. Since you only gave him rhetoric with no real information on the Sunrise, maybe it is best for you to move on...…..

Pal when I news advice on when and where to post,  I will ask.  If in the meamtime you do not like any of my posts feel free to ignore.  When you start making comments on other posters and what they should do or not do or the relevance to their posts it is close to breaking rules here.  

56 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I disagree with your point about the show rooms not being crowded on Sunshine.  We (my wife and I) did an 8 day cruise on Sunshine less than a month ago. The Limelight Lounge was packed for every adult comedy show we attended with people standing against every wall and the rear bar, not to mention the people who couldn’t get in to watch the show because there was no more places to stand. Likewise, the Liquid Lounge was completely filled, with a few single empty seats in various areas, for a couple of music shows we attended. There were also a lot of people standing near the rear bar on deck 4 of the lounge. 

I agree on the comedy club.  I am not a fav for going to shows in the big lounge, and am not discrediting your experience but we have hit at least 2 shows on sailings of ships with the smaller venue (Sunshine, Vista, Horizon) totalling 5 cruises ans never seen the theater more then 2/3 full.  While I get the point about the bar, I kind of liked having it there and hung there myself....

Edited by jimbo5544

The Destiny was my first cruise ever 9 years ago and we also went back on it as the Sunshine. I did not mind the Destiny at all but since it was my first experience I think I may have been bias. I am a fan of the upgrades, you get a lot of the new stuff the Vista class has but on a smaller scale. They also have the best serenity deck. Honestly I never felt crowded at all on our sailing, I went on the Vista twice and would say that crowding is more of an issue on that ship imo.  

To the Original Poster who asked about the Sunrise:

I am glad to hear that you are fine with crowds such as the ones at Disney World in the summer so I am sure that you and your 14 friends will all have a great time on the Sunrise. Being that this is probably your first cruise, you will not miss things that existed in the past that experienced cruisers are accustomed to. You will be enjoying the company of your many friends and will understand why they may not be able to seat all 15 of you close by in the dining room nor will you be able to get 15 seats together in the lounges or showroom but I am sure that most of you will probably break into smaller groups where you will be able to enjoy each and every event. 

I did not mean to discourage you by suggesting that the Sunrise will be very crowded and I am quite sure that you will enjoy this cruise so much that you won't be able to wait to book another one as the worst day on a cruise is still better than the best day working.  Bon Voyage.

What I learned about these ships would be to plan on arriving early to beat the masses .

I avoid Serenity all together , just to many people with the exception you may find seating directly in the sun. Me , I'm not into sitting where eggs can fry :classic_blink:.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoDidly said:

What I learned about these ships would be to plan on arriving early to beat the masses .

I avoid Serenity all together , just to many people with the exception you may find seating directly in the sun. Me , I'm not into sitting where eggs can fry :classic_blink:.

Based upon some of these comments you should be hoarding food...wait you did mention eggs....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Based upon some of these comments you should be hoarding food...wait you did mention eggs....

Yes I did , but they give me horrible gas .🤯

See the source image

Edited by BoDidly
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, tallyho8 said:

Sunshine was not as badly renovated as the Sunrise is. They only added about 300 passengers to the Sunshine, not 1100 like on the Sunrise. Although the Sunshine does not have as much public area as most of the ships, it is not nearly as crowded as the Sunrise will be.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, tallyho8 said:

22 hours ago, tallyho8 said:

Where did you get your "facts and figures" from? When the Triumph and Victory were built, they were bigger by a foot and a thousand tons because they were built with the Panorama Deck that the Destiny did not have, but was added during the conversion to the Sunshine.

The Triumph had 1,379 cabins which held between 2,758 (double occupancy), and 3,310 (all berths full) passengers. The Sunrise will have 1,492 cabins (113 more), which will hold between 2,984 and 3,740 passengers. No where near the 1,100+ passengers that you keep saying. The number  would be 430 more passengers with all berths filled or 226 more passengers double occupancy.

Just so you know, the Sunshine has 1,501 cabins which can hold between 3,002 (double occupancy) and 3,753 (all berths) passengers. That is more than the Sunrise or Radiance will have.

The Sunrise will retain the aft pool which will increase your chance of getting a poolside seat as compared to the Sunshine. The Oxford Lounge on Deck 4 which was almost always empty is being converted to the Limelight Lounge and will be the venue for the Punchliner Comedy Club. The stage is being reconfigured to the port side to eliminate the seats with no view of the stage which is a problem on the Sunshine. The Dance Club which again saw limited use is becoming the Red Frog Pub. Just these two venues that I have just named, are very popular and will help disperse the passengers more evenly across the ship.

I think that the Sunrise, and then the Radiance, will be an improvement over the Sunshine. I am not knocking the Sunshine at all as we have had two great cruises on her. I am so glad that I didn't listen to the naysayers and tried her out for myself. I am doing the same for the Sunrise! :classic_cool:

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Where did you get your "facts and figures" from? When the Triumph and Victory were built, they were bigger by a foot and a thousand tons because they were built with the Panorama Deck that the Destiny did not have, but was added during the conversion to the Sunshine.

The Triumph had 1,379 cabins which held between 2,758 (double occupancy), and 3,310 (all berths full) passengers. The Sunrise will have 1,492 cabins (113 more), which will hold between 2,984 and 3,740 passengers. No where near the 1,100+ passengers that you keep saying. The number  would be 430 more passengers with all berths filled or 226 more passengers double occupancy.

Just so you know, the Sunshine has 1,501 cabins which can hold between 3,002 (double occupancy) and 3,753 (all berths) passengers. That is more than the Sunrise or Radiance will have.

The Sunrise will retain the aft pool which will increase your chance of getting a poolside seat as compared to the Sunshine. The Oxford Lounge on Deck 4 which was almost always empty is being converted to the Limelight Lounge and will be the venue for the Punchliner Comedy Club. The stage is being reconfigured to the port side to eliminate the seats with no view of the stage which is a problem on the Sunshine. The Dance Club which again saw limited use is becoming the Red Frog Pub. Just these two venues that I have just named, are very popular and will help disperse the passengers more evenly across the ship.

I think that the Sunrise, and then the Radiance, will be an improvement over the Sunshine. I am not knocking the Sunshine at all as we have had two great cruises on her. I am so glad that I didn't listen to the naysayers and tried her out for myself. I am doing the same for the Sunrise! :classic_cool:

Well said Jeff, talk about a jaded misguided view.... the discussion was getting ugly so I abandoned the effort.   The real point is that while there are some additional people on the ship, those who try it (as opposed to just bash it) find the experience a good one (as represent by most people even in this thread).  We are sailing her in July and the Radiance in her TA our first, when the third and final ship of this class comes over.   

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

My info comes from this web site and the disparity in the info may be because the renovation is just getting started and plans may change,

1884400324_5ships.jpg.ea5d8f6d1abaddb54afef96af2264002.jpg

Do you really think that the addition of 113 cabins would result in 1,191 more passengers? The Sunrise passenger amount in your post is clearly an inflated all berth capacity while all the rest of the passenger amounts shown on the other ships are double occupancy capacities. My information comes from CruiseDeckPlans which I would trust much more than whatever website you got your information from. :classic_cool:

25 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Do you really think that the addition of 113 cabins would result in 1,191 more passengers? The Sunrise passenger amount in your post is clearly an inflated all berth capacity while all the rest of the passenger amounts shown on the other ships are double occupancy capacities. My information comes from CruiseDeckPlans which I would trust much more than whatever website you got your information from. :classic_cool:

.....and I can confirm thru the TA booking engine which lists what the Coast Guard approves says exactly the same thing.     Apples and oranges or maybe walnuts..... 

I'm really looking forward to Sunrise and Radiance.  By mid 2020, Radiance seems to be assuming Sunshine's currently ending role as the 'East Coast Roamer'.  I think I'll take her on the Canadian run out of NYC that fall if our schedule prevents us from doing that this fall on Sunrise. 

And I'd love it if one of these boats got assigned fairly frequent Journey responsibilities.  Carnival is going to use the new builds on her regular weekly routes for the folks that view ship > destination.  We're kinda the other way around and hope they dedicate a nicely refurbished Sunshine class to some of those more adventurous cruises.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I'm really looking forward to Sunrise and Radiance.  By mid 2020, Radiance seems to be assuming Sunshine's currently ending role as the 'East Coast Roamer'.  I think I'll take her on the Canadian run out of NYC that fall if our schedule prevents us from doing that this fall on Sunrise. 

And I'd love it if one of these boats got assigned fairly frequent Journey responsibilities.  Carnival is going to use the new builds on her regular weekly routes for the folks that view ship > destination.  We're kinda the other way around and hope they dedicate a nicely refurbished Sunshine class to some of those more adventurous cruises.

Agree 100% :classic_cool:

I've just booked for the same cruise as the OP. Taking the wife and kids, and we are very excited. The first and only cruise for the wife and me was on the Destiny 10 years ago and we loved every minute. 

I got pretty concerned when I started reading about 1100 more passengers though, as it didn't jive with the information I'd seen. Glad I double checked, and have come up with the same info as Jamman - 420 more passengers at max capacity. Whew! 

I'm excited for the new features after the upgrade, and think it'll be a great time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tallyho8 said:

All I'm trying to say is that the Sunrise will be more crowded then the Triumph was. Let's just take one example: Whether it has 400 more passengers or just 4 more passengers, the Showroom is going to have 300 less seats in it that the Triumph had and when I went to see the main shows in the showroom, every seat was taken.  And the Triumph had tables in front of your seats to put your drinks on. The Sunrise will have no tables because they are pushing the rows closer together.

How can anyone say that the Showroom will be less crowded?

The Lounges will have way less seats also but I'm through on this thread because there are some people who think you can jam more people in a smaller area and it will not be more crowded.

I get that 3,700 passengers is a greater number than 3,300 passengers, but just because there are "more" passengers doesn't mean it will be "more crowded". It is all about how the passengers are dispersed around the ship. Having sailed on the Destiny, Triumph, and Victory, I know that there were a few "dead" (under utilized ) lounges and space on these ships. To tell you the truth, I never witnessed all three decks of the main showroom completely full on any of my cruises on these ships. In renovating these ships they seem to have eliminated the "dead" spaces with more popular options which will help disperse the passengers in the evening. I don't believe you have sailed on the Sunshine so you haven't experienced how this worked out.

On the Sunrise and the Radiance, keeping the aft pool and moving the waterworks back up front is going to be a good thing in my opinion. I know that the people who love the Sunshine's Serenity will disagree. The only "crowding" I witnessed on the Sunshine concerned the Beach Pool. Having just the one pool for those under 21 and parents who keep an eye on the younger children was a problem, especially during the summer months, spring break, and the holiday seasons when there are a lot of families and children on board. Having two pools should help alleviate that problem.

I realize that these renovated ships are probably not for you, and that is fine, but to present "facts" predicting doom and gloom without having sailed on a renovated ship isn't right. Happy Cruising! :classic_cool: