What to do in NZ?

BBMacLaird

A brand-new bog post "Seven Things to Do in New Zealand" has been published! As a fan of New Zealand's Sauvignon Blanc wines the chance to visit the vineyards and wineries of Marlborough would be high on my list. Plus one of my best friends just spent her holidays in New Zealand. She tells me the food everywhere was fantastic. Sounds like NZ has moved up a few notches on my Bucket List! 

How about you...have you been to New Zealand? What would you recommend doing there?

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/int/blog/seven-things-do-new-zealand

NZvineyard.jpg

Absolutely the wine region of Marlborough for amazing white wine, scenery as lovely as parts of Canada including the sheer beauty of Milford Sound, Queenstown for adventure lovers with white water rafting, bungee, etc

• Like 1

if you recognise that NZ is Europe in minature the features are so diverse and there is an area that will excite everyone. Mountains and glaciers, beaches, sailing, The Hobbit experience, shops, wineries, mud pools and geysers, walking trails, nature thatvyou can find no where else on earth. NZ is a great place to visit and the roads are quiet! The people are lovely too. 

• Like 1

So much to see and experience. In The Bay of Islands we took a sailing trip in some amazing areas with a group from our role call, did the wine area in Napier as it was raining we cancelled our other choices, Rotorua we ate meat pies and visited the bubbling pits I think it is referred to as “Hell”, we also went white water rafting in this area on a large waterfall, in Auckland where we began we took a tour to the Wietoma caves (excuse my spelling doing this from memory).

In Wellington it rained so we just walked a little enjoyed a French cafe and visited the amazing museum.

The best was in Dunedin, where we took a private tour to the beach area saw the blue penguins, yellow penguins and watched a large sea lion chase after the penguins. Went to the museum about the Albatross and then some touring of city.

Had a clear day going through the sounds.

Hope this helps we enjoyed more than AU but I can’t say that now as I have an Aussie daughter-in-law!

• Like 1

We were in NZ a couple of weeks ago on a Pacific crossing on another line.  The smartest thing we did was in the Bay of Islands.  Our ship docked in the Bay and we tethered into a small town.  But next to it was the Waitangi site where the treaty between the Maori and Euopean settlers was signed.  The area is now a large outdoor/indoor museum site that covers much of NZ history and includes a terrific folkloric performance at a Maori house.  It's also a beautiful park.  We had a great afternoon there.  In Auckland we went to the fine arts museum and had a good afternoon.  Lots of informal restaurants and cafes around in Auckland, a cool city.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, BBMacLaird said:

How about you...have you been to New Zealand? What would you recommend doing there?

We've been to NZ, on the Journey (Sydney to Auckland) two years ago. It was a memorable trip;  you should certainly move NZ up on your Bucket List.

Two things stand out in my memory of the voyage:

1) an overland 2-day excursion from Milford Sound to Dunedin, with an overnight in Queenstown. This was a ship's shorex - not inexpensive, but well worth it to see something of the interior of an amazing country.  The drive up through the fjordland mountains from Milford Bay across to Queenstown was spectacular.  We took a sunset boat ride across Lake Wakatipuan on the SS Earnslaw, an 1912 Edwardian vintage twin-screw steamship.   The second day, we stopped for lunch at the Wild Earth Kitchen and Winery and sampled their excellent wines (alas, they specialize in pinot noirs🍷, not your favorite sauvignon blancs).

The only downside was that by taking the overland excursion, we missed sailing around the South Island through the other sounds (Dusky, Doubtful, Breaksea).  Fortunately, we got to experience them thanks to this GoPro video made by Konstantinos (an AZ crew member).
Sailing the Sounds

2) after disembarking, we spent a fascinating day at the Auckland War Memorial Museum. Don't be put off by the name. While it does have a number of displays relating to NZ involvement in various wars, there is an extensive exhibit on the Maori peoples, their history and culture. It was a day well spent.

• Like 1

My heart goes out to the beautiful people of Christchurch New Zealand.

You have felt so much tragedy with natural disasters via earthquakes that have destroyed some magical parts of your city. And now the senseless slaying of 50 innocent people including young children.

A big hug to you all from a friend across the ditch in Australia.

9 hours ago, screen-gem said:

We've been to NZ, on the Journey (Sydney to Auckland) two years ago. It was a memorable trip;  you should certainly move NZ up on your Bucket List.

Two things stand out in my memory of the voyage:

1) an overland 2-day excursion from Milford Sound to Dunedin, with an overnight in Queenstown. This was a ship's shorex - not inexpensive, but well worth it to see something of the interior of an amazing country.  The drive up through the fjordland mountains from Milford Bay across to Queenstown was spectacular.  We took a sunset boat ride across Lake Wakatipuan on the SS Earnslaw, an 1912 Edwardian vintage twin-screw steamship.   The second day, we stopped for lunch at the Wild Earth Kitchen and Winery and sampled their excellent wines (alas, they specialize in pinot noirs🍷, not your favorite sauvignon blancs).

The only downside was that by taking the overland excursion, we missed sailing around the South Island through the other sounds (Dusky, Doubtful, Breaksea).  Fortunately, we got to experience them thanks to this GoPro video made by Konstantinos (an AZ crew member).
Sailing the Sounds

2) after disembarking, we spent a fascinating day at the Auckland War Memorial Museum. Don't be put off by the name. While it does have a number of displays relating to NZ involvement in various wars, there is an extensive exhibit on the Maori peoples, their history and culture. It was a day well spent.

I know that this is a cruise forum but in all honesty you cannot do justice to New Zealand on a cruise.

What you describe has highlights are much better has part of a land tour.

We spent 3 days in Queenstown and did all that you describe and much more, we could easily have stayed longer.

Cruising is good as an introduction, the same applies to Australia, traveling to the other side of the world you need to see all that you can,  Just my opinion.

My thoughts are also with the wonderful people of New Zealand at this time.

Edited by Bloodaxe

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

I know that this is a cruise forum but in all honesty you cannot do justice to New Zealand on a cruise.

What you describe has highlights are much better has part of a land tour.

We spent 3 days in Queenstown and did all that you describe and much more, we could easily have stayed longer.

Cruising is good as an introduction, the same applies to Australia, traveling to the other side of the world you need to see all that you can,  Just my opinion.

My thoughts are also with the wonderful people of New Zealand at this time.

I completely agree, but this is my usual opinion of most cruise ship ports.  The port experience is often just an introduction, or all you can do if it is hard to get back or do land-based travel,  For many people, NZ is so far away, so to come back for a land-based experience is very difficult in time and stress.  We are currently in Australia on a 2-month adventure and are experiencing the country is ways that we could not when we were on our cruise to Australia.  However we are super-lucky to be able to spend so much time and money Down Under and so many travelers do not have the good fortune that we do.  Someday I hope to have a longer visit to NZ as well.

54 minutes ago, tv24 said:

All very true, we have done 3 land based trips in Australia and one in New Zealand some years ago.

Actually our first ever cruise was a few days around the barrier reef on one of our trips.

Our really long haul trips are behind us now and shorter trips and cruises in Europe fit the bill.

14 hours ago, NeilWM said:

My heart goes out to the beautiful people of Christchurch New Zealand.

You have felt so much tragedy with natural disasters via earthquakes that have destroyed some magical parts of your city. And now the senseless slaying of 50 innocent people including young children.

A big hug to you all from a friend across the ditch in Australia.

8 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

My thoughts are also with the wonderful people of New Zealand at this time

Thank you both for your kind words. We are devastated that this could happen in our peaceful, friendly country. 

• Like 2