Cheers with wife

joy4ron

On 3/15/2019 at 6:56 AM, RHilla619 said:

Technically "by the rules" the bartenders are only supposed to let you use your card, but it is rarely enforced. It's in an effort to prevent people from finding a card on the floor and going up to the bar and ordering drinks on it, and saying it's my friends/wifes/husbands/etc's card. However in my 6 cruises with Carnival I've only had an issue with it once, my girlfriend was sitting in her lounger by the pool and I went to the bar to get us drinks, the bartender wanted her to wave over to verify it was her sort of deal. Minor inconvenience.

As another member said if you become a regular at a bar it is even less likely to happen, the bartenders will know you are traveling with another person and that's why you have 2 cards. They will probably also know what you want to drink! 

Pax can't just find a card and use it. Everyone's picture shows up on the screens when card is used. 

True once a bartender gets to know you getting 2 drinks at once is very easy to do with 2 cards.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 12:49 AM, CheersPkg4Us said:

Not a problem, make your rounds on day 1, once they associate you two together you won't have any problem. If you find a place you really like to hang out, like Elaine5715 said, a few tips go along way.

Exactly! We never had a problem ordering 2 with our SS cards! Once they get to know you're together!! Have a blast!!

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

On my last three cruises, Liberty in November, Miracle in December, and Sunshine in February they never put a Cheers sticker on my S&S card. 

Just like you did, all I can do is report what happened to me on my previous cruise, which had a stickered S&S  card out of NYC on the Horizon.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

My Horizon cruise from August, does not mention it and was from NYC.  Why would I lie about this?  Were any of your 2019 cruises from NYC? 

I didn't say you were not was I implying that. Just showing some of mine. Maybe new York has newer cards? Beats me.

13 hours ago, chipperberg said:

Not true.  My mom and I sail in separate cabins, each with a kid, and different last names, but as those have previously said, we hang out together, tip well, and have never had a problem.  This is true at the coffee bar as well.  It never hurts to tip and or simply be kind and appreciative of the hard working folks on the ship.  

For that matter, I was able to take my sister's card to the coffee bar and get her a drink. She had hurt her foot so I offered to get her drink for her. She had Cheers, I didn't and wasn't ordering anything. I just told the guy the deal, pointed out where she was sitting and was able to get her a coffee. 

We just got back today, and I’m already missing our time at The Alchemy Bar.  🙂

My husband and I could walk up and order each other’s drinks with no problem.  But, we tipped well, and our favorite bartender new our names no matter where she saw us on the ship.  The barista at Cremes Bar learned my name quickly, too, and even looked up my husband’s folio number (without me asking), when I realized I had forgotten to grab his card.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:57 PM, Elaine5715 said:

The bartenders aren't supposed to but many will especially for tipping customers.

If bartenders are willing to violate policies for someone providing an additional gratuity above the service charge but refuse to give the same courtesy for someone giving the included service charge, it should be brought to the attention of the F&B Director.

A consistent experience should be received by everyone and this could lead to fraud/abuse.

22 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

My most recent sail n sign card, from August of 2018 on the Horizon, has no mention of gratuity percentage at all.  Unlike my 1/15 Freedom sailing and 1/13 Breeze sailings that both mention 15%.

15 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

These are all from 2019. Hmmm....

IMG_20190316_071544.jpg

IMG_20190316_071552.jpg

Wow, surprising to see a mass market line/hotel using Saflock/Onity locks has switched to a key card provider other than PLI.

Edited by xDisconnections

On 3/15/2019 at 9:56 PM, RHilla619 said:

Technically "by the rules" the bartenders are only supposed to let you use your card, but it is rarely enforced. It's in an effort to prevent people from finding a card on the floor and going up to the bar and ordering drinks on it, and saying it's my friends/wifes/husbands/etc's card.

But the folio numbers would be in sequence so I always thought it wouldn't an issue.  It'd be improbable finding a card with a folio number one over or under than your own.

We don't have cheers here in Australia but we have Bottomless Bubbles and I've never had an issue using my partner's Sail and Sign card along with mine to get two soft drinks.

8 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

If bartenders are willing to violate policies for someone providing an additional gratuity above the service charge but refuse to give the same courtesy for someone giving the included service charge, it should be brought to the attention of the F&B Director.

A consistent experience should be received by everyone and this could lead to fraud/abuse.

I'm not sure it's not part of policy that once you (bartenders) are comfortable with pax that they have the leeway to use "their " discretion.  

Leading to fraud/abuse???? That seems to be a real stretch. There is an age old saying that money talks and BS walks. If pax want to tip extra, ALL bartenders will pay attention to customers whether on land, on a cruise ship , or anywhere.

I've yet to experience any bartender so NO to tips.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

I'm not sure it's not part of policy that once you (bartenders) are comfortable with pax that they have the leeway to use "their " discretion.  

Leading to fraud/abuse???? That seems to be a real stretch. There is an age old saying that money talks and BS walks. If pax want to tip extra, ALL bartenders will pay attention to customers whether on land, on a cruise ship , or anywhere.

I've yet to experience any bartender so NO to tips.

And that is the fear of all non and poor tippers, that others get better service aka "the Real World"

4 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Lol, I'm simply playing devil's advocate. I don't have a need for Cheers so it isn't a concern to me 🙂

Since you don't have a need for a Cheers, why are you on this thread?  Is it just to stir the pot?  It's similar to the Loyal Royals who bash Carnival, yet have never sailed on any of the ships in the fleet.  First hand experience with the subject at hand in any thread on CC goes a long way  towards credibility.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Since you don't have a need for a Cheers, why are you on this thread?  Is it just to stir the pot?  It's similar to the Loyal Royals who bash Carnival, yet have never sailed on any of the ships in the fleet.  First hand experience with the subject at hand in any thread on CC goes a long way  towards credibility.

I like to stay informed regarding all things Carnival.

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

You can stay informed by reading the thread.  No need to post on it if it involves an issue that you do not have a need for, like you wrote.

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Maybe you should inform passenger services if you feel your room steward isn't providing any "extras" because you don't tip. I'm assuming you allow them to clean your room?

18 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

Maybe you should inform passenger services if you feel your room steward isn't providing any "extras" because you don't tip. I'm assuming you allow them to clean your room?

When did this ever become a topic about whether or not I tip? If my stateroom steward isn’t meeting my expectations, I would follow the proper chain of command.

My wife and I have gotten each other drinks with each other's cards on Cheers packages a lot.

However, every bartender that I remember wanted to see the both of us together first (and we tipped).