Cheers with wife

joy4ron

I'm pretty sure we're going to get Cheers.  

I have a question for all of you who've done this.  Quite often when we are out, I'll typically go up to the bar and get her drinks. Will bartenders let me use her S&S card to get her drinks and my S&S card to buy mine, or do they need her to be at the bar with her card?

Not that big of a deal, I'm just curious

36 minutes ago, joy4ron said:

I'm pretty sure we're going to get Cheers.  

I have a question for all of you who've done this.  Quite often when we are out, I'll typically go up to the bar and get her drinks. Will bartenders let me use her S&S card to get her drinks and my S&S card to buy mine, or do they need her to be at the bar with her card?

Not that big of a deal, I'm just curious

The bartenders aren't supposed to but many will especially for tipping customers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yogibear said:

On the averae, how many drinks does it take to "break even" for the day?

Karen

About 5.5 per person alcoholic drinks. But you get powerades and speciality coffees included as well.

• Like 1

Technically "by the rules" the bartenders are only supposed to let you use your card, but it is rarely enforced. It's in an effort to prevent people from finding a card on the floor and going up to the bar and ordering drinks on it, and saying it's my friends/wifes/husbands/etc's card. However in my 6 cruises with Carnival I've only had an issue with it once, my girlfriend was sitting in her lounger by the pool and I went to the bar to get us drinks, the bartender wanted her to wave over to verify it was her sort of deal. Minor inconvenience.

As another member said if you become a regular at a bar it is even less likely to happen, the bartenders will know you are traveling with another person and that's why you have 2 cards. They will probably also know what you want to drink! 

• Like 1

I'm sure if you had a S&S card from an adult NOT In your stateroom, that would be flagged and you would not be allowed to get a drink.  If it is your wife (same last name, same stateroom) I don't think a bartender would EVER turn you away.

It depends. If that is your real scenario, and are holding two S&S cards with the same last names, you should be fine. If anything, you can point her out, and I don't see it being a problem. Once they get to know you, it should become even less of a problem.

3 hours ago, Hoops_Baller said:

Nice Work (on the chart) Chocolate Melting Cake!

That should help some people out...I always think to myself, it really isn't that hard to figure out.

The chart is outdated with both the prices of many of the drinks as well as the gratuity increase from 15-18%.

12 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It depends. If that is your real scenario, and are holding two S&S cards with the same last names, you should be fine. If anything, you can point her out, and I don't see it being a problem. Once they get to know you, it should become even less of a problem.

My brother would not appreciate them letting me charge on his card...

14 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

My brother would not appreciate them letting me charge on his card...

They would only give you two drinks if both of the cards had the Cheers stickers on them and thus were already authorized.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

They would only give you two drinks if both of the cards had the Cheers stickers on them and thus were already authorized.

My comment was in reply to the comment about having the same last name.  Stickers aren't being used and they were always for show.  Your foilo is tagged with Cheers.

53 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

So is your sail and sign card. Look at the back of your next one, it still says 15%.

My most recent sail n sign card, from August of 2018 on the Horizon, has no mention of gratuity percentage at all.  Unlike my 1/15 Freedom sailing and 1/13 Breeze sailings that both mention 15%.

25 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Stickers aren't being used and they were always for show.  Your foilo is tagged with Cheers.

Stickers were used last August on the Horizon and I'm fully aware that my folio is tagged with Cheers

19 hours ago, cmukid87 said:

I'm sure if you had a S&S card from an adult NOT In your stateroom, that would be flagged and you would not be allowed to get a drink.  If it is your wife (same last name, same stateroom) I don't think a bartender would EVER turn you away.

Not true.  My mom and I sail in separate cabins, each with a kid, and different last names, but as those have previously said, we hang out together, tip well, and have never had a problem.  This is true at the coffee bar as well.  It never hurts to tip and or simply be kind and appreciative of the hard working folks on the ship.  

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Stickers were used last August on the Horizon and I'm fully aware that my folio is tagged with Cheers

On my last three cruises, Liberty in November, Miracle in December, and Sunshine in February they never put a Cheers sticker on my S&S card. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

My most recent sail n sign card, from August of 2018 on the Horizon, has no mention of gratuity percentage at all.  Unlike my 1/15 Freedom sailing and 1/13 Breeze sailings that both mention 15%.

These are all from 2019. Hmmm....

IMG_20190316_071544.jpg

IMG_20190316_071552.jpg