Choosing Panama Canal Cruise

Mare10

On 3/22/2019 at 12:44 PM, Ofmyheart said:

The Island and Coral were designed for the canal but I wondered if they switched to the newer canal.

Guess I will find out in a few weeks.

Hi EP010835,

My husband and I did a full transit on the Coral last year.  It is my understanding that you will never sail through the larger, newer, locks if you are on the Coral, or if you do, something is really wrong!  This ship was the 1st cruise ship built to transit the full Panama Canal.  It is advertised as sailing the old locks.  There would be a mutiny if it did not!  The new locks are huge, (which you can see every now & then) and like you are sailing up a flat, grassy canal.  We also heard (so don’t remember if this was from Lecturer on the top decks or a very knowledgeable cruiser) that every transit is bid on 4-6 months before the crossing.  The more you pay the sooner you go thru!!!  Our time slot was 7:00am.  I was in awe as we sailed by 26 ships (counted from our starboard balcony) waiting to do the transit.  We also heard that our transit cost $400,000/one way!  This actually is a case of “whomever has the most money wins”!

1 hour ago, ctompkins said:

Hi EP010835,

My husband and I did a full transit on the Coral last year.  It is my understanding that you will never sail through the larger, newer, locks if you are on the Coral, or if you do, something is really wrong!  This ship was the 1st cruise ship built to transit the full Panama Canal.  It is advertised as sailing the old locks.  There would be a mutiny if it did not!  The new locks are huge, (which you can see every now & then) and like you are sailing up a flat, grassy canal.  We also heard (so don’t remember if this was from Lecturer on the top decks or a very knowledgeable cruiser) that every transit is bid on 4-6 months before the crossing.  The more you pay the sooner you go thru!!!  Our time slot was 7:00am.  I was in awe as we sailed by 26 ships (counted from our starboard balcony) waiting to do the transit.  We also heard that our transit cost $400,000/one way!  This actually is a case of “whomever has the most money wins”!

WOW!! This all fantastic information. Thanks very much!!

On 3/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, Mare10 said:

I really appreciate everyone's input!!!!!  This research is part of the fun for sure!  For those that recommend the aft cabins have you noticed much engine noise or bumpiness?  On a Hawaiian Islands cruise we had a mini suite in the way aft.... Grand Princess.  The hubby wasn't keen on the noisiness!  

After all the tips I've ordered the book that was recommended!!!!!!

Love Cruise Critic!

Since you mention this may be your only PC cruise I too would suggest a full transit and would affirm Coral is a great ship for it!

As for the book, it's a great read.  I chuckle remembering our first PC transit, back in the days before Kindle and other e-readers.  Half the ship was reading the book in the days leading up to the transit.  It's a huge tome and it was quite funny watching folks carry the thing here there and everywhere for days.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jondfk said:

Half the ship was reading the book in the days leading up to the transit.  It's a huge tome and it was quite funny watching folks carry the thing here there and everywhere for days.  

I read The Path Between The Seas on electronic media before our first transit. I was quite surprised to receive a "real book" copy of the book as a gift from the TA during the cruise. It's a fairly hefty book. I probably still have it around here somewhere or else I "loaned" it to one of my wife's siblings. Not sure what happened to it. I guess I should look for it and donate it to the library as I still have the electronic version and am unlikely to ever read it again.

• Like 1

I’m so glad I asked the question here.  Really appreciate all the wonderful comments!  In re-reading the posts it seems like we should do the full transit from Ft Lauderdale to LA.  Not many recommended the round trip LA trip.  It seems we should also try for a balcony starboard side!  I enjoy the research!  

• Like 2