Radiance to be based in Brisbane over 2020/2021 Season

Brisbane is building a brand new cruise terminal at the mouth of the river so larger cruise ships can have a decent place to dock versus the cargo terminal they have to use at the moment.

Royal Caribbean have just announced that Radiance of the Seas will be based at the new terminal at Luggage Point over the 2020/21 southern hemisphere summer cruise season.

RCI also said they would be increasing calls to Queensland with other ships during the 2020/21 season.

RCL briefly had Legend of the Seas based in Brisbane as it was the largest of their ships that could go up the river and be based at the current cruise terminal, but that went away when they sold the ship half way through the season and had to cancel a lot of cruises.

The 2020/21 Australian season isn't available for sale at the moment (due week of April 1?) so no one is affected by the move from Sydney to Brisbane.

I wonder what will replace Radiance in Sydney - a second Quantum class ship to join Ovation - Quantum or Spectrum to winter in China then Summer in Australia and the Pacific? 

or the new Oasis?

6 minutes ago, GottaRequalify said:

I wonder what will replace Radiance in Sydney - a second Quantum class ship to join Ovation - Quantum or Spectrum to winter in China then Summer in Australia and the Pacific? 

Serenade is already schedule for half of a trans-Pacific, so it will likely head to Sydney to replace Radiance.

12 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

Serenade is already schedule for half of a trans-Pacific, so it will likely head to Sydney to replace Radiance.

Another older Radiance class ship - nothing exciting there for Sydney based cruisers, basically nothing changes if that is Royal's 'big' news from their email promo the other day. I knew I shouldn't get too excited! LOL

4 hours ago, avalon007 said:

Another older Radiance class ship - nothing exciting there for Sydney based cruisers, basically nothing changes if that is Royal's 'big' news from their email promo the other day. I knew I shouldn't get too excited! LOL

Get over yourself. Sydney isn't Australia. And it is big news for people who cruise RCL in Australia. LOL at your comment.

11 minutes ago, DDG 41 said:

Get over yourself. Sydney isn't Australia. And it is big news for people who cruise RCL in Australia. LOL at your comment.

I don't get your reply - I am a RCCL cruiser in Australia, in fact I'm a very regular RCCL cruiser so your post isn't relevant to me - it isn't big news for regular Royal cruisers out of Sydney was what I was saying - Brisbane cruisers I'm sure are pleased & I'm happy for them, but another ship exactly the same as the oldest ship in the Royal Australian fleet cruising out of Sydney is not IMO a big deal for regular Royal cruisers. 

Whilst another RCL ship is more than welcome in Australian waters and especially great news for Brisbane Im hoping the "Big news" "Big Adventures" and "Big Debut" is alluding to another Quantam class or perhaps Oasis class ship for Sydney.

Seranade would be still be welcome in Sydney as it would add more sailings (to some extent as we lost Explorer) it will still fall short of offering better and more modern RCL presence in local waters, should Seranade be the candidate perhaps it would be best utilised for a year round home port to compete with Carnival and P&O.

I believe the market would support it and if RCL are buying up a position on an "Perfect Day" island it would further  validate and support year round porting to that mystery island and winter itineraries to the South Pacific.......can only hope!

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think you should should calm down and take a deep breath.

Vision of the seas 

Who should? If you mean me then it makes no sense, as I was calmly & logically replying to what was a comment to 'get over myself' which doesn't warrant any need for deep breathing on my part. Having a polite discussion with no personal commentary was what I was doing. If you meant someone else then all good & we can go about our business as if this conversation never happened. LOL 

Moving on... what about Vision of the seas?

10 minutes ago, crewzerguy said:

Whilst another RCL ship is more than welcome in Australian waters and especially great news for Brisbane

I'm hoping the "Big news" "Big Adventures" and "Big Debut" is alluding to another Quantam class or perhaps Oasis class ship for Sydney.

Seranade would be still be welcome in Sydney as it would add more sailings (to some extent as we lost Explorer) it will still fall short of offering better and more modern RCL presence in local waters, should Seranade be the candidate perhaps it would be best utilised for a year round home port to compete with Carnival and P&O.

I believe the market would support it and if RCL are buying up a position on an "Perfect Day" island it would further  validate and support year round porting to that mystery island and winter itineraries to the South Pacific.......can only hope!

You and me both!

Agree that if Serenade was an all year positioning in Australia then it would be something new and appreciated, as cruising in our cooler Winter months would be a nice change. But a newer different class of ship or as I've suggested previously new ports of call added would be top of the wish list.

Edited by avalon007

New ports would be very welcome, unfortunately infrastructure is very poor in Australia and New Zealand and even worse in the South Pacific so thats a big challenge, Thumbs up to Brisbane and Carnival for sinking some money into their new facility, now basing a ship in Brisbane might enable striking different points further north than the standard Sydney offering so good news re Radiance.

Sydney just needs to get its act together as its loosing a lot of business due capacity constraints, and Melbourne needs some money poured into as the port their is too susceptible to high winds, I see the Goldcoast as massive potential but again the hunger for an outcome to all parties up there is proving a big challenge.

27 minutes ago, avalon007 said:

Who should? If you mean me then it makes no sense, as I was calmly & logically replying to what was a comment to 'get over myself' which doesn't warrant any need for deep breathing on my part. Having a polite discussion with no personal commentary was what I was doing. If you meant someone else then all good & we can go about our business as if this conversation never happened. LOL 

Moving on... what about Vision of the seas?

All respect 

Brisbane cruise port has vision of the seas booked for next season as it’s home port

Edited by Chiliburn

51 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

All respect 

Brisbane cruise port has vision of the seas booked for next season as it’s home port

LOL. She's a pretty fast ship then as it take one night to get from Brisbane to Florida. that's faster than a plane.

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

All respect 

Vision was a placeholder. It will be Radiance in Brisbane from November 2020.

https://karryon.com.au/industry-news/cruise/back-to-brissie-royal-caribbean-to-home-port-radiance-of-the-seas-in-qld-in-2020/

Edited by SinbadThePorter

5 hours ago, crewzerguy said:

New ports would be very welcome, unfortunately infrastructure is very poor in Australia and New Zealand and even worse in the South Pacific so thats a big challenge, Thumbs up to Brisbane and Carnival for sinking some money into their new facility, now basing a ship in Brisbane might enable striking different points further north than the standard Sydney offering so good news re Radiance.

Sydney just needs to get its act together as its loosing a lot of business due capacity constraints, and Melbourne needs some money poured into as the port their is too susceptible to high winds, I see the Goldcoast as massive potential but again the hunger for an outcome to all parties up there is proving a big challenge.

Pretty sure this is a Voyager ship.

20190319_085212.jpg

I wonder when they will take Radiance out of service for refurbishment. The article that Sinbad The Porter linked to below mentions a multi-million dollar make-over. Will they be cancelling any of her Alaska cruises to accomplish this? 

2 hours ago, dl6996 said:

I wonder when they will take Radiance out of service for refurbishment. The article that Sinbad The Porter linked to below mentions a multi-million dollar make-over. Will they be cancelling any of her Alaska cruise.

Radiance is heading to Singapore after the Alaska season for the dry docking via the north pacific. Do not know if it will be a passenger run or have contractor onboard. After the dry dock it is heading down to Brisbane.

7 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Vision was a placeholder. It will be Radiance in Brisbane from November 2020.

https://karryon.com.au/industry-news/cruise/back-to-brissie-royal-caribbean-to-home-port-radiance-of-the-seas-in-qld-in-2020/

That makes a lot more sense ,I was wondering how vision would get There.

Radiance has a regular booking in Sydney?

I wonder what the itineraries will be ?

And talk of a private island.

Edited by Chiliburn

Well according to RCL Facebook page it looks like Seranade got the slot.......somewhat disappointed, Brisbane is the winner as they now have Radiance (soon to be refurbished) Sydney gets a new ship albeit the same class as Radiance and not refurbished.

A newer line up in the fleet may have been worthy of the expectation they alluded to in the promo earlier this week. .......Oh well be grateful Sydney received something I guess.

I hope their yield boffins are crunching the numbers for a year round posting sometime soon!

2 hours ago, crewzerguy said:

Well according to RCL Facebook page it looks like Seranade got the slot.......somewhat disappointed, Brisbane is the winner as they now have Radiance (soon to be refurbished) Sydney gets a new ship albeit the same class as Radiance and not refurbished.

A newer line up in the fleet may have been worthy of the expectation they alluded to in the promo earlier this week. .......Oh well be grateful Sydney received something I guess.

I hope their yield boffins are crunching the numbers for a year round posting sometime soon!

Serenade and Brilliance are in better shape than Radiance.  Newer color changing lightning in the Centrum and around the ship.

I'm not expecting Radiance will get a full AMP like Voyager class.  I'm betting she will only get some modernization to catch her up to her sisters.  

I recently sailed Radiance, Serenade and Brilliance.  I did two 10 night cruises on Serenade last year.  I like Serenade.  

Serenade 2018:

sLRdbYw.jpg

ZnNdJYM.jpg

R1NosId.jpg

92sdwsq.jpg

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Serenade and Brilliance are in better shape than Radiance.  Newer color changing lightning in the Centrum and around the ship.

I'm not expecting Radiance will get a full AMP like Voyager class.  I'm betting she will only get some modernization to catch her up to her sisters.  

I recently sailed Radiance, Serenade and Brilliance.  I did two 10 night cruises on Serenade last year.  I like Serenade.  

Serenade 2018:

Ok that sounds good, I was on Radiance 2 weeks ago and it is very tired so if Seranade is in better shape then thats a win.