Excursions (incl or paid) from Explorer in Baltic and Northern European Ports

Hi All,

I'd love to get some recommendations on excursions from RSS Explorer Cruise from Stockholm to London (via Helsinki, St Petersburg, Visby, Tallin, Riga, Copenhagen, Bruges, Amsterdam).  I have read on various review sites that the included on-shore excursions are variable in quality and that it's sometimes worth incurring the cost of a paid or independent tour.  I have also heard that one of the downsides of the latter option would be that you'd need a visa of some sort which you would not if you are with a tour group from the ship.  Any comments regarding this and what the good excursions are (and the bad) would be really helpful for our planning.  TIA

If you use any of the advertised tour companies (Alla Tours, SPB Tours, Red October, etc.) you do not need a visa as they have a group visa.  Unfortunately, cruise lines have been giving out incorrect information about the necessity to take ship excursions for a long time.  We used a local tour company back in 2006 in St. Petersburg and did Regent excursions a couple of years ago.  

I understand that "some" Regent excursions are excellent but we prefer having the private (or small group guides).  They take us to the sites that we want to visit and only spent the amount of time that we wish to spend there.  It definitely maximizes your time.  We visited Catherine's Palace with the private guide and arrived there earlier in the morning than most groups.  We went to the head of the line and had an amazing experience there.

There is a lot of information in the Ports section of CC.  Here is a link to the Baltic areas.: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

Edited by Travelcat2

We will be on this August's BTB, starting at Stockholm.  Third time to St. Pete.  Priors have combined private and ship-based excursions.  All positive.  Helps to have retained a bit of facility in the local language--re: what the bus driver and tour guide are really talking about.  No Visa needed, as we have scheduled  An Evening of Russian Ballet and The Fabulous Faberge Museum this time--and probably our last--around.  

For first-timers, suggest Catherine's Palace, for sure.   And, of course, Hermitage.  Hermitage is worth a week.  But, like The Louvre, we don't have a week.

See you onboard.

GOARMY!

Also Peterhof in St Petersburg.  We found the Hermitage very crowded.  And the guides both times, one on a regent tour and one private, tried to rush us through the French impressionists, which is what we were really interested in.

TS and RachelG: 

We have been fortunate as to crowds at all St. Pete venues.  Thanks for reminding me of Peterhof Palace with the gold fountains (and an interesting return to the ship via hydrofoil ride across the Bay).  Peterhof is a must-see for first-timers. 

Key to crowds at Hermitage is early arrival.  Once on a private tour; the most-recent ship-sponsored as to Hermitage.  Excellent guides.  Of course, there are time limits.  The only meaningful restriction I recall was limiting our small group to about 20 minutes when viewing the "private" exhibit of paintings in a closed-off area.  No cameras; no recording devices.  A lot of "Nyets" from Attendants as to where, or where-not to stand.  Very-little conversation.  This is the collection the Russians expropriated from the Germans at the end of the War; which the Germans had earlier stolen from private collections and art museums from Poland, France, Italy and other countries occupied during phases of the War.  Unfortunately, these magnificent works of Western art will probably never be returned to their rightful owners--many of whom perished in The Holocaust.  But, that is another historical chapter.   

So--put Peterhof near the top of the List. 

GOARMY!

Excursions we've enjoyed have been the Imperial Evening with the Czars and the Evening of Russian Ballet.  What you do during the day will depend on what YOU like to do.  I loved the Faberge museum, surprisingly, and the Hermitage is great if it's not crowded.  Also depends on what time of year you're going - we were there in August the first time, in the middle of a heat wave, and the Russians, as you can imagine, don't have much need for A/C - so it's rare.  Temps over 90* and oppressive crowds aren't a good combination for a day in a museum, IMO.

I'd advise against the day trips to Moscow (if they're offered) as it's a huge time-suck and there's so much to see in StP.  Of course, some people just have to see Moscow (we did that on our second trip there) and as nice as it was I think staying in StP another day would have been just as good.

There are many, many interesting excursions available there - we've only done one we didn't really like, it was more of a cathedral tour and it was just a bit too 'cattle-car' for our tastes.  And I'll agree with GOARMY - Peterhof is definitely worth it.