Catalina -- should I book an excursion through cruise line bc of tenders?

I generally prefer to book through local operators when I can, but part of me feels like maybe booking through the cruise line is more prudent when there's a tender port.

What is the likelihood we would be able to make it off the ship and get to the venue for a kayaking tour at 10 am? Ship arrives at 7, but I am not sure how tendering will affect things.

The problem in doing it on your own is the ship might buy up all the equipment.  We ran into that on an Alaska cruise and trying to book a helicopter on our own.  Also make sure you have a good cancelation plan.  We did a long weekend on the island a month ago and the water was so rough nothing could dock until around 11:00 AM  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

The area of Catalina you'll be in is teeny tiny. I wouldn't overthink things in terms of getting from one place to the next. The area you'll be in and around Avalon is very manageable even by foot. I think the cove you described is the old sea plane airport (although it could be the one just to the north where they built some condos).