Thoughts on Aft Balconies?

JamieLogical

4 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Spa passes and your original angled balcony sounds like a good cruise to me!

Hope you and your sister have a wonderful cruise🌞

Thanks! I know it will be an awesome experience no matter what. Very excited to get to do this for my sister. She's never been on a cruise and is a divorced mother of four young kids (ages 6-12), so she likely wouldn't have an opportunity to do something like this for herself for many more years. I keep joking she won't know what to do with herself. No responsibilities for a full week! Even "vacations" with her kids are a ton of work for her and involve shopping, cooking, laundry, packing snacks, doing kid-centric activities.... She probably hasn't had an actual relaxing vacation since we were still kids ourselves!

We have had an aft balcony twice on the Gem. Loved it with the exception of soot all over every morning. Looks like they were burning trash, pieces from the size of a head of a match stick to a quarter. Our room steward would wash down the balcony every other day

2 hours ago, Happy_Traveler_2008 said:

I just booked a last minute balcony guarantee on the Escape and was assigned the aft balcony cabin #12908.  I'm looking forward to the views and the spacious balcony!

Great deal!   Congrats and enjoy:classic_cool:

• 1 month later...

Rather than starting a new thread, I am hijacking one of my old threads. I was unable to secure an aft balcony on my Escape sailing last month. Had I done the direct upgrade, it would have been significantly more than just paying the difference in fares (for some reason?), we would have lost two of our perks (had been a take all four promo going on when I booked), and we would have lost out on our extra point per night and $100 for it being one of the Latitude Past Guest offer sailings at the time I booked, but no longer in those final weeks before sailing.

Anyway, the GOOD news is, I am now booked in an aft balcony on the Escape next month. The room we booked is 9920. Anyone ever been in this room? Google searches for photos and videos of this specific room have come up empty.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Rather than starting a new thread, I am hijacking one of my old threads. I was unable to secure an aft balcony on my Escape sailing last month. Had I done the direct upgrade, it would have been significantly more than just paying the difference in fares (for some reason?), we would have lost two of our perks (had been a take all four promo going on when I booked), and we would have lost out on our extra point per night and $100 for it being one of the Latitude Past Guest offer sailings at the time I booked, but no longer in those final weeks before sailing.

Anyway, the GOOD news is, I am now booked in an aft balcony on the Escape next month. The room we booked is 9920. Anyone ever been in this room? Google searches for photos and videos of this specific room have come up empty.

Looks like CDP has pictures.

I don't know if it's still a problem or just an issue with certain ships at certain times. Twice on the Gem we had an aft, couldn't believe the amount of soot and ash that would blow down. The room steward hosed it off a few times

Edited by Laszlo

26 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Don't mess the ship up Lol. I'm on it right after you

9 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Thanks! So excited for that HUGE balcony. Just hope we don't get a lot of vibration in from the propulsion. I saw a video of Deck 9 aft and the noise of the water/wake seemed very loud out on the balcony when the ship was in motion, but it was that, rushing waterfall sound you hear when on the back of the Waterfront, and I do really like that sound. It also seemed like, in the video at least, latching the sliding door shut REALLY cut down the noise inside the room, so I am hoping that is the case in real life.

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Jamie, I hope we are good neighbors because we are in cabin 9918 on the cruise!

14 hours ago, rwf1 said:

Jamie, I hope we are good neighbors because we are in cabin 9918 on the cruise!

Too funny! Did you sign your cabin up for the cabin crawl? I signed ours up with Diann and I am sure it would be super convenient to have them right next to each other.

8 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Too funny! Did you sign your cabin up for the cabin crawl? I signed ours up with Diann and I am sure it would be super convenient to have them right next to each other.

Yes, I think we are going to do the cabin crawl, just not certain yet.  Having you come in with an aft balcony available was really convenient though!

Hi Jamie,

Aft Balcony Cabins are great! The first time we had one the one thing I didn't really consider (Or actually even realize) Is that you will end up doing a LOT more walking to get to other locations around the ship. Not a complaint at all but just something I didn't think about. You will love having an aft balcony!

2 hours ago, Trobrah said:

My DW and I were in 9918 last week. It was wonderful. The largest aft Haven suite balconies and non Haven aft balconies are on deck 9. Enjoy!

Jay

So happy to hear that!  We can't wait!  How was the view from your balcony in  Bermuda?

On 3/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, Happy_Traveler_2008 said:

I just booked a last minute balcony guarantee on the Escape and was assigned the aft balcony cabin #12908.  I'm looking forward to the views and the spacious balcony!

Spent two weeks in that exact cabin last summer. Loved it!

4 hours ago, Trobrah said:

The largest aft Haven suite balconies and non Haven aft balconies are on deck 9.

Technically, the largest non-Haven aft-facing balconies are the mini-suites on deck 10 but those are both wheelchair accessible staterooms. The one that is more starboard side is a bit wider than the one that is more port side. 

Been in Handicapped aft rooms on the Getaway deck 10 Huge balcony, Escape Deck 12 balcony about 1/3 less deep, Bliss Deck 13, 1/2 as deep as deck 10. Love the aft balcony's except the long way to get to the elevators and the service carts do get in the way and on the Bliss the Garden Cafe is on the Bow so a long way to go to get a quick bite

Rwf1,

Our cabin was on the starboard side of the ship so we had a view of the ocean side of the dockyard. There is a youtube video of 9318 which I believe is identical to 9918.

Just got off Breakaway Aft 9322, balcony huge.  Only complaint I had was underway not much air circulation and if the sun was directly shinning in, too HOT.  In port with breeze and no sun enjoyable! Yes, the view was unbelievable underway, wake was beautiful, and I enjoy the “waterfall” sound.  All in all, I’d have to investigate a large balcony mini suite cabin on deck 8 on the Away class ships for my next cruise...