Where can I find which ports require a tender?

mamkmm2

On every other cruise I have ever taken with other cruise lines it was easy to determine which ports required a tender and which did not.  However, my first time on NCL and I can't seem to find that information at all.  Is there a trick to finding that info?  Thanks.

Note that even though a particular port isn't listed as a tender port, you may end up tendering anyway, for whatever reasons. For example, even though Juneau, Alaska has 4 cruise ship berths, I have tendered twice in that port. 5 ships were scheduled at the same time.

This would only really matter if there were accessibility concerns.

I just booked a cruise out of Manhattan up to Quebec. On the itinerary

it showed docking or tender next to it. Try clicking on the itinerary/more information

button that shows up in a few places during the booking process. 

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

You have to dig some on the website but it's under "accessible cruising".  Last time it was posted though some folks said it wasn't entirely accurate.

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Scroll down a ways on the page.

It's much more accurate these days. The old list included places where I have never heard of anyone tendering at all (i.e. Naples), but this one looks a lot better.

The biggest problem with tender ports are those, such as Santorini, where you may dock or may port. Often it isn't know which it will be even the night before, as it depends which ships arrive first. This doesn't help those people who like to be very organised.

What cruise are you planning (itinerary) we will take the guess work out of it.

Being on a larger bigger ship does not guarantee that you will have docking privileges.

Most ports it is first come arrival gets the pier. It would be a zoo traffic jam if everyone

had to wait for the last or 3rd from last arriving to tie up at a pier. Some harbors don't

have room to maneuver a lot of ships. 

I can also attest to tendering versus docking at Santorini.  We were supposed to be docked there but another ship "snuck" in ahead of us so we had to tender in and out.

Another good resource is right here on Cruise Critic; just do a search of the ports that you'll be visiting on YOUR cruise and you should be able to determine which are potential tender stops.

Have a great cruise!

Even St Thomas can be (very rarely) a tender port if there are too many ships in port.

I wonder if Tortola can be a tender port with only 2 places to dock.

The easiest way to gather correct information regarding if a certain port on a booked cruise is a tender port on that particular cruise, is to take a look at the cruise confirmation that you have received by e-mail from NCL. There should be a list of the ports on the itinerary on there, where every port is listed as "dock" or "tender".

Here is an example for my upcoming cruise in May: 

image.png.cc860e5e5925777744c3a347eb6091eb.png

Edited by TrumpyNor

32 minutes ago, Siouxcitykings said:

I'm naiive to this.... What is tendering?

That the ship is not docking right next to the pier, but is anchoring a little bit out - meaning that if going ashore you will need boat transport from ship to shore. This is done with "tender boats", and often the ship's larger lifeboats are used for this.