Question about boarding passes/luggage tags

roundrockhorn

1 hour ago, roundrockhorn said:

Thank you all for the responses! We don't have a color printer anymore either, but can get access to one if needed. As for the tags, we have some plastic tag holders that were specifically designed for cruise tags. They are like a really heavy duty zip-lock style and have a wire cable that you can run through a metal eyelet on the tag holder. The wire has a locking mechanism on it to keep it from coming off unless you actually unscrew it. My mother bought them for us when we booked our cruise in September. Now, in just 24 short days, we'll test them out. We will also be taking the suggestion to put a copy of the tags, inside our luggage as well, just in case. 

We bought those tag holders last cruise from Amazon.  Really nice.  I have enough to put on every bag.  Including my carry on and my husband.  LOL

2 minutes ago, queenkathryn said:

We bought those tag holders last cruise from Amazon.  Really nice.  I have enough to put on every bag.  Including my carry on and my husband.  LOL

LOL - great tip. 

I use these too and like them a lot. I've had mishaps with other methods. Once when I didn't use tape it rained, causing the ink to run and the paper to get soggy and rip off. Another time I "laminated" with tape, but had no way to staple it on once I arrived at the port. These are really handy and now are just part of my packing check list. To the original question, sometimes I print in color and sometimes I don't. Never seemed to make a difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roundrockhorn said:

Thank you all for the responses! We don't have a color printer anymore either, but can get access to one if needed. As for the tags, we have some plastic tag holders that were specifically designed for cruise tags. They are like a really heavy duty zip-lock style and have a wire cable that you can run through a metal eyelet on the tag holder. The wire has a locking mechanism on it to keep it from coming off unless you actually unscrew it. My mother bought them for us when we booked our cruise in September. Now, in just 24 short days, we'll test them out. We will also be taking the suggestion to put a copy of the tags, inside our luggage as well, just in case. 

I got some like this on Amazon.  They are wonderful. 

• Like 1

As we do not fly in a day or two before our cruise, I always put the tags on my luggage before I leave my home. I have never heard (authority-wise) anyone say the tags should NOT be put on the luggage until just before you get on the ship. I will say, as I said before, they have always stayed on there until/after in our state room on the ship.  I will mention that I do not put the tags at the top or where the main handle is, I always put it on the side, so this way the tag is not in the way for those who are carrying it, etc.

• Like 1

I put my tags on the top carry handle of each suitcase (not the retractable pull handle),  rather than on the side, because I figure this is where the porters / handlers are most likely to look for them, and it seems like they are less likely to snag against other bags when being loaded /unloaded onto/off of the giant luggage trolleys.  But I attach them (laminated with hole punched in lamination border) with a long zip-tie, leaving enough of a loop so that the tag will easily move out of the way for use of the handle.  And I snip the end of the zip-tie off, so that it doesn't poke the hand that carries the bag.  Maybe a little more than a little OCD.:classic_blush:

31 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I put my tags on the top carry handle of each suitcase (not the retractable pull handle),  rather than on the side, because I figure this is where the porters / handlers are most likely to look for them, and it seems like they are less likely to snag against other bags when being loaded /unloaded onto/off of the giant luggage trolleys.  But I attach them (laminated with hole punched in lamination border) with a long zip-tie, leaving enough of a loop so that the tag will easily move out of the way for use of the handle.  And I snip the end of the zip-tie off, so that it doesn't poke the hand that carries the bag.  Maybe a little more than a little OCD.:classic_blush:

ShakyBeef, I like your style. There is nothing wrong with being thorough and considerate 😀

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I'm not sure there's anywhere safe for the tags that doesn't run the risk of snagging on other bags. LOL

I know, that's definitely true.  I know my way is not snag-proof. 

But at least with the way I've seen them load the first set of trolley / bin / whatever-those-big-things-are at the first part of the process in the terminal lot of Baltimore, the tops of all the suitcases (where I put my tags) are sticking out.  They aren't thrown in every which way like they are in your picture (which I also see all the time, and I realize happens to all the bags after x-ray, or some other part of the process). 

All this babbling to say: I know it doesn't cut down on the snagging chances by much, but if there is one spot to attach the tags that is slightly less likely than any other, I believe it to be the top.

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

I know, that's definitely true.  I know my way is not snag-proof. 

But at least with the way I've seen them load the first set of trolley / bin / whatever-those-big-things-are at the first part of the process in the terminal lot of Baltimore, the tops of all the suitcases (where I put my tags) are sticking out.  They aren't thrown in every which way like they are in your picture (which I also see all the time, and I realize happens to all the bags after x-ray, or some other part of the process). 

All this babbling to say: I know it doesn't cut down on the snagging chances by much, but if there is one spot to attach the tags that is slightly less likely than any other, I believe it to be the top.

I was just kidding around. Not trying to poo poo on your methods. I like showing that picture to people who don't know what their bags go through to get on the ship. After we saw it the first time, it made us think twice about how we pack the suitcases. A few years ago, the one my wife was using ended up with a tear in the lid pocket. She threw a pair of high heels in that pocket last minute, so it's possible the weight of bags on top of it caused a heel to poke through. Not sure, but we didn't care. It was an older bag I had bought at an auction and ain't worth fussing over.

I like how you use the zip tie and leave it a bit loose to let the tag swing free. That's a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I was just kidding around. Not trying to poo poo on your methods. I like showing that picture to people who don't know what their bags go through to get on the ship. After we saw it the first time, it made us think twice about how we pack the suitcases. A few years ago, the one my wife was using ended up with a tear in the lid pocket. She threw a pair of high heels in that pocket last minute, so it's possible the weight of bags on top of it caused a heel to poke through. Not sure, but we didn't care. It was an older bag I had bought at an auction and ain't worth fussing over.

I like how you use the zip tie and leave it a bit loose to let the tag swing free. That's a good idea.

Yeah, that picture is a good one to show to the alcohol smugglers as well.  Some on these boards don't seem to believe that bottles of smuggled wine and booze bust and leak all over all the surrounding luggage.  But those cases are tossed around quite a bit and stacked many-deep before they make it to our cabins.

I always print my tags in color because I have a color printer, but I wouldn't have an issue printing them in black an white.  All of the information is on the tag.

I used to laminate them with clear packing tape and staple them to the handles.  A few years ago I ordered some inexpensive cruise luggage tags from Amazon and have used them many times.  I put them on both suitcase handles so that there are two on each suitcase.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:43 AM, cfralc said:

They're not cumbersome at all! I've had those same luggage tags for years and they work great!  A little time consuming to take off, but I like that!

I have cruise luggage tags also, but without the wire attachment.  I've had them for years & love them.  I don't understand why people bother with the dreaded tape/staples.

See the source image