Formal nights on NCL??

No formal nights on NCL; it's one of the best loved facts for loyal NCL cruisers.  There is, what they call, Dress up or Not, where you may see quite a few couples/fellow paxs, dressed formal or close to formal.  The theme on NCL is Resort Casual and most of us enjoy that level of dress code. 

• Like 1

Tough to find any true “formal nights” on any cruise lines.  The last few lines I’ve cruised (NCL, MSC, RCCL) have had many more passengers dressed casually than formally for “formal” nights.

NCL at least admits that fact and calls theirs “Dress up or not”.  The restaurants LeBistro and Bayamo require long pants to eat in them regardless of the night you dine in them.

It’s one of NCL’s endearing qualities.

Just a small point, but it isn’t usually “dress up or not” night any more. It is “Norwegian Night Out”, and in my experience there isn’t really much emphasis on dressing up on that night.

If you want to dress up then do it when is convenient to you, not when you are told to. That’s what freestyle is about.

Men have to wear slacks for dinner in the main restaurant and the specialty restaurants (Cagneys, LeBistro, etc) but other than that it's Freestyle; dress as you wish!  As someone stated earlier it's one of the endearing qualities of NCL & the BIG reason why we always go on NCL.

Question for OP: we're considering a cruise on RCCL out of NJ & were wondering if dressing up for the formal night you mentioned in your original post is REQUIRED when cruising on RCCL.

I have seen people dressed to the nines and most not. We have our cruise on NCL in 10 days and the Mrs and I decided to take advantage of the "Norwegian Night Out" and I am  taking the tux and she is taking the ball gown.

Fun story... one night on a carnival cruise, we decided to dress up a little and I had a bow tie on (I am from the lowcountry of SC) and the next thing you knew I had two guys approach me to tie their bowties. I got two beers out of it... so dressing up can be a win at times!

Edited by prwilson33

1 hour ago, tomk3212 said:

Men have to wear slacks for dinner in the main restaurant and the specialty restaurants (Cagneys, LeBistro, etc) but other than that it's Freestyle; dress as you wish!  As someone stated earlier it's one of the endearing qualities of NCL & the BIG reason why we always go on NCL.

Question for OP: we're considering a cruise on RCCL out of NJ & were wondering if dressing up for the formal night you mentioned in your original post is REQUIRED when cruising on RCCL.

This is incorrect. Cagney's has always allowed shorts. Le Bistro, Bayamo/Ocean Blue and on SOME ships the aft dining room require pants. Nice jeans are fine. There are NO restaurants on NCL that require slacks for men.

As already posted, the Norwegian Night Out ("Dress up or not" is still used to describe it in the Freestyle Daily) is Day #2, the first full sea day.  It's also an opportunity to have your photo taken with the ship's captain, which is a reason for some to dress up.  Just line up at the designated time to pose with him, though if you're in a suite, you'll get a photo op with the captain at the captain's reception later that same night.  

We do like to dress up in cocktail clothes that night, and then have dinner at the most formal restaurant.  On the Gem, it's Le Bistro. It's become a tradition that we both enjoy. 

2 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

Incorrect. 

Shorts are welcome in all restaurants for all meals except: Le Bistro and Ocean Blue/Bayamos (or the aft MDR on small ships and the Epic) where long pants (jeans, dockers) are required. 

On RCCL, Formal attire is a recommendation. A recommendation that very, very few follow. You'll see a few gowns and tuxes sitting at a table with people in shorts and polo shirts. That being said, most folks had on long pants for formal night, but it is not "required". 

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

This is incorrect. Cagney's has always allowed shorts. Le Bistro, Bayamo/Ocean Blue and on SOME ships the aft dining room require pants. Nice jeans are fine. There are NO restaurants on NCL that require slacks for men.

Well, all I can attest to is what I actually observed on our last cruise in October on the Breakaway; we saw a man turned away from Cagney's who was dressed in shorts.  He returned a few minutes later in khakis.  Now in all fairness to what you said later in the same cruise we saw men sitting in the outdoors section of Cagney's wearing shorts so maybe it's different if you sit outside?  We've only eaten in Cagney's a few times so I'll take your word on Cagney's always allowing shorts.

On the Gem, Dawn, Pearl & other smaller ships I've seen men turned away from the MDR on many occasions with shorts during dinner.  We usually eat in Savor or Taste on the Breakaway-class ships for dinner & shorts ARE allowed there.  I'll make it a point to ask on the Getaway in the MDR if shorts are now allowed because I also like to wear shorts...even for dinner...lol

Note to BirdTravels: thanks for the info re: "formal" dress on RCCL ships.  On NCL "formal" nights I'll sometimes wear a blue blazer with khakis & no tie.  That's "formal" to me now.

9 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

Well, all I can attest to is what I actually observed on our last cruise in October on the Breakaway; we saw a man turned away from Cagney's who was dressed in shorts.  He returned a few minutes later in khakis.  Now in all fairness to what you said later in the same cruise we saw men sitting in the outdoors section of Cagney's wearing shorts so maybe it's different if you sit outside?  We've only eaten in Cagney's a few times so I'll take your word on Cagney's always allowing shorts.

On the Gem, Dawn, Pearl & other smaller ships I've seen men turned away from the MDR on many occasions with shorts during dinner.  We usually eat in Savor or Taste on the Breakaway-class ships for dinner & shorts ARE allowed there.  I'll make it a point to ask on the Getaway in the MDR if shorts are now allowed because I also like to wear shorts...even for dinner...lol

Note to BirdTravels: thanks for the info re: "formal" dress on RCCL ships.  On NCL "formal" nights I'll sometimes wear a blue blazer with khakis & no tie.  That's "formal" to me now.

I often wear shorts to Cagney's on Breakaway, Gem and Escape and have never been turned away...and I never sit outside on Breakaway or Escape.

I just spent 44 days on the Gem and the only restaurant requiring long pants was Le Bistro. I often ate in Grand Pacific and every other restaurant except Le Bistro while wearing shorts.

Sometimes the rules get tweaked based on the itinerary or the whim of one of the senior hotel department officers, but the general rule of thumb is that shorts are in most cases permissible everywhere but Le Bistro and Ocean Blue/Bayamo.

By the way..sometime a restaurant hostess doesn't know the rules and will turn away someone who should be allowed in. I've seen it happen, and I've seen it happen the other way...men being let into Le Bistro wearing t shirts and shorts.

2 hours ago, PatJim said:

As already posted, the Norwegian Night Out ("Dress up or not" is still used to describe it in the Freestyle Daily) is Day #2, the first full sea day.  It's also an opportunity to have your photo taken with the ship's captain, which is a reason for some to dress up.  Just line up at the designated time to pose with him, though if you're in a suite, you'll get a photo op with the captain at the captain's reception later that same night.  

We do like to dress up in cocktail clothes that night, and then have dinner at the most formal restaurant.  On the Gem, it's Le Bistro. It's become a tradition that we both enjoy. 

Haven't seen/spoken in a while.  I know how much you like the Gem.  And, I've seen you and Jim in your finest.  You both look "MAHVELUS"!!!!!!!

Just finished a cruise out of NYC on the Escape.  Great cruise, but the first night was rocky.

Have to sail again in the GEM as I had such a wonderful time.

4 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

I was on RCCL (specifically Majesty) a few months ago. I was doing the chef's table on our formal night (which was the first sea day, which seems to be a pattern) so I was dressed up a  bit anyway. My tablemates in the MDR said it was a mixed bag, some were formal, some weren't . I'd say from my observation, a sizable majority were dressed up, but I don't think it was "required" in the strictest sense. 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I often wear shorts to Cagney's on Breakaway, Gem and Escape and have never been turned away...and I never sit outside on Breakaway or Escape.

I just spent 44 days on the Gem and the only restaurant requiring long pants was Le Bistro. I often ate in Grand Pacific and every other restaurant except Le Bistro while wearing shorts.

Sometimes the rules get tweaked based on the itinerary or the whim of one of the senior hotel department officers, but the general rule of thumb is that shorts are in most cases permissible everywhere but Le Bistro and Ocean Blue/Bayamo.

By the way..sometime a restaurant hostess doesn't know the rules and will turn away someone who should be allowed in. I've seen it happen, and I've seen it happen the other way...men being let into Le Bistro wearing t shirts and shorts.

I think you hit the nail on the head re: hostesses who don't know the rules & that may well have been the case with what I observed in Cagney's on my cruise.

I stand corrected...in shorts, of course!

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Tough to find any true “formal nights” on any cruise lines.  

Cross the Atlantic on the Queen Mary - you'll see nearly everyone dressed up on the three formal nights - and a glorious sight it is! I know lots of people enjoy having the option to be casual every night but if you like to dress up, Cunard is the line for you.

1 hour ago, lupaglupa said:

Cross the Atlantic on the Queen Mary - you'll see nearly everyone dressed up on the three formal nights - and a glorious sight it is! I know lots of people enjoy having the option to be casual every night but if you like to dress up, Cunard is the line for you.

Never sailed Cunard.  Sounds nice.  Doubt it would be “my cup of tea”.

Still, thye’re appealing to a certain demographic.  I’m not in it!  

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Haven't seen/spoken in a while.  I know how much you like the Gem.  And, I've seen you and Jim in your finest.  You both look "MAHVELUS"!!!!!!!

Just finished a cruise out of NYC on the Escape.  Great cruise, but the first night was rocky.

Have to sail again in the GEM as I had such a wonderful time.

Hey, Dan.  Nice to hear from you.  We do love the Gem, but somehow out of 5 future NCL cruises, only one--Dec. 12, 2020--is on the Gem.  I do think she has the best crew in NCL's fleet.

Sorry to go off topic, but wanted to say hi.

Patricia

10 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

I would think dressing up for formal night is suggested on Royal. My husband and I actually like dressing up so we are fans of it, and all of the ships we’ve been on pretty much everyone has been dressed up. I guess in the more recent years more people have been dressing down. So it’s up to you I guess! 

12 hours ago, PatJim said:

Hey, Dan.  Nice to hear from you.  We do love the Gem, but somehow out of 5 future NCL cruises, only one--Dec. 12, 2020--is on the Gem.  I do think she has the best crew in NCL's fleet.

Sorry to go off topic, but wanted to say hi.

Patricia

Thanks, Pat.  Good to hear from you.  Please tell Jim I said "hi", also.  Would love to hear about your upcoming cruises.

14 hours ago, lupaglupa said:

To be honest any cruise on any line going out of Southampton will be a lot more formal than out of the US. P&O are also pretty dressed up on formal nights and all of the Royal cruises I've been on out of Southampton about 80-90% of the pax dress up formally on formal nights (tuxes or suits - or kilts - for men and long evening dresses or dressy cocktail dresses for women.) It's just that Cunard is on a different scale entirely.