Has anyone done the Ultimate Ship tour?

fluffybunny22

I'm very excited to do this tour on my upcoming cruise. My biggest fear is that I'll not be 'selected' to attend. I'd even be willing to opt out of the goodie bag, if it comes down to that. 

I noticed that for the past several months on these forums and according to the letters posted above, the tour used to last around 2 1/2 hours. But over the past week or two, everyone has been saying 4 hours. I wonder if they really deny letting people use a restroom for a 4 hour tour! 😮I'm pretty sure I can't last that long, hah!

I did the UST on the CB west bound TA a few years ago.  They only do it on sea days of course.  The tour lasted around 4 hours and was led by a member of the CD staff and attended by a ship security officer.  We were told no cameras or pictures allowed.  We had a ship photographer along who took group pictures which was included in the package we received later.  I am able to say I saw the morgue and the brig along with the three ER rooms.  At each stop they had the officer in charge address us and answer questions about his/her area.  In the galley they served us soft drinks and snacks.  This was a true behind the scenes tour. 

We were crossing the northern Atlantic and the tour on the deck where the anchors and lines were was rather cold so anyone in shorts would have a problem.  All of us had on long pants.  This was the only area outside on the tour.  I did enjoy my time on the bridge and asking questions of the captain which included a group photo with him.  

They took us into the engine control room but of course was not allowed down where the engines are located.  The chief engineer gave a good discussion to those of us mechanically minded and our time was up long before all the questions were answered.  This is the only place we were ushered out.  

The tour ended in Skywalkers with orange juice and mimosas and food while the CD lady answered even more questions about the crew, working on a ship etc until there were no more questions.  Like others I used OBC to pay for it but even if I had actually paid, it was well worth it to me. 

11 hours ago, jsiegel said:

I had a lot of ship board credit and decided to use it on the Ultimate Ship Tour instead of on things from the gift shops, etc. on board.  I also had wondered about the value.  My sister had done it a few years earlier and raved about it so I went ahead and signed up for it.  It was so interesting.  My favorite part was being on the bridge and looking out the side windows to the back and also seeing the expansive view forward.  The captain spoke to us and then was open to questions.  I had a few and he was so gracious in answering them.  You do end up with a lot of souvenirs to pack for home.  The robe (as you mentioned), a nice apron, a framed picture of the group, a personalized notepad and other things I've forgotten.  On some ships they don't advertise it so you could run the risk of there not being enough people for them to hold it.  That did happen to  me on one sailing and at the last day I had to run around spending $150 of shipboard credit in the shops.  Sign up at the guest services desk when you board and then check periodically if they've got enough people.  It's held on a sea day, usually near the end of the cruise.

I'm not sure about the age limit.

Jackie

How many do they need to hold the tour?

11 hours ago, voljeep said:

we've never done it ...but some posters have posted you must wear long pants and closed toed shoes ... I'm SURE someone will correct me if wrong :classic_cool:

This is correct as you will be in work areas that do not allow open toed shoes or dresses. (insurance)

Edited by TheRabbit

2 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

I'm very excited to do this tour on my upcoming cruise. My biggest fear is that I'll not be 'selected' to attend. I'd even be willing to opt out of the goodie bag, if it comes down to that. 

I noticed that for the past several months on these forums and according to the letters posted above, the tour used to last around 2 1/2 hours. But over the past week or two, everyone has been saying 4 hours. I wonder if they really deny letting people use a restroom for a 4 hour tour! 😮I'm pretty sure I can't last that long, hah!

The Selected to Attend can be risky. They had 6 pages of people signed up, when I did it, and only took 15.

8 hours ago, masterty said:

Only 4 pictures on our Star Princess ultimate ship tour. Forecastle, bridge, engine room, princess theater stage. We also went to the med center, laundry room, kitchen, crew mess, photo, and printing rooms. Well worth the $150 charge.

http://hambyhome.com/ultimate-ship-tour

You mentioned engine room. When I did it, engine room was off limits (insurance and noise), but we did go to the engine control center in the depths of the ship. Did you actually get in by the big diesel engines?

I did it on the Grand and loved it. It's fascinating. I would like to do it on each class of ship! Hope to get to do Coral this September/October and Enchanted next November.😃 Definitely need to sign up early!!

42 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

You mentioned engine room. When I did it, engine room was off limits (insurance and noise), but we did go to the engine control center in the depths of the ship. Did you actually get in by the big diesel engines?

Engine control room. Not the engine room. My bad!

5 minutes ago, masterty said:

Engine control room. Not the engine room. My bad!

Darn, I was about ready to signup for the very next one when I saw that you got into the engine room! LOL I understand it is very loud in there and not pleasant, let alone against insurance and possibly some maritime rules.

11 hours ago, XBGuy said:

When we visited the bridge, I was able to look down at our balcony.  Timing is everything, and at that moment my wife was out there, and we were able to wave to each other.

On other threads there are posts by people saying they do not like uncovered balcony cabins because they do not want people looking down on them.

As this post about the UST says, even if you have a covered balcony, it is likely you can be seen from the bridge if your balcony is on a side of the ship.

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

I think I'd really like this. My wife doesn't seem too interested.

Same here.  Every time I read one of these threads, I say to myself "I should do that next time".  But next time, I don't.  Just get over the $150 and do it!!  Perhaps I will book it on Regal this June.  I would like to do it on a newer ship, so maybe this year i finally the time.  

11 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

How many do they need to hold the tour?

I believe they need at least six or it could be eight.  We had seven on the tour when I went so possibly one person cancelled at the last minute or we had one more than the minimum.  They  had phoned me the a day or two before to say that it might not be held due to not enough sign ups.  It was never advertised on that sailing so duh, no overwhelming number of sign ups.

We have done this tour several times. We usually try to do this on a new ship for us. The swag bag at the end is worth the tour itself. The key is to signup for the tour the minute you get on the ship. Do not pass the service desk and go to your room first. Signing up should be the first thing you do on board. Since there is usually is waiting list, if you give them enough time you won't be charged. The last tour we did was on the Royal. At the last minute my wife wasn't able to make the tour, but she still got the swag bag.

It is very interesting to see how the captains on the different ship treat your visit to the bridge. We had one captain told us where to stand and not move. Other captains let you walk around. Some even let you take pictures. 

Some of our highlights and one low light.

1. On the Royal the bell from the original Royal was on display. We was a nice surprise since we had sailed on the old Royal. The Captain had also sailed on the old Royal, but I can't remember how he ended up with bell.

2. We saw whales from the bridge.

3. We actually saw our laundry in the laundry room. They still won't let us take a picture.

4. On one tour they took us up to the funnels. This was the low light because it was freezing outside and very windy up top.

The tour takes from 3 to 4 hours. You won't be taken to the engine room, but you will see the control center. Be prepared to climb a lot stairs and keep an eye out for trip hazards. 

On last thing: When you get to the anchor room, do not look down through the hole to look at the anchor. It is a good way to get an expected shower of sea water. 

Roger

I did the UST on the Island a few years back. Well worth the $150. The wife was getting nervous because they said the tour would take about 2 1/2 hours and we were gone over 3. Laundry, Food Services, Med Services, Engine Control Room, Print Shop, Forward anchor area, Main Street (below the water line where the crew stay) and of course the Bridge. We saw dolphins from the Bridge. The goodie bag had the infamous bathrobe and a chef's jacket. Along with pictures and few other items.

12 hours ago, caribill said:

On other threads there are posts by people saying they do not like uncovered balcony cabins because they do not want people looking down on them.

As this post about the UST says, even if you have a covered balcony, it is likely you can be seen from the bridge if your balcony is on a side of the ship.

I've never understood why people freak that somebody might see them while they are on the balcony.  I guess I'm just the opposite.  I want people to see me enjoying my wine and snacks.

A201 has always been our first cabin choice.  We'll be back in A201 for our next cruise on the Ruby Princess Los Angeles-AK roundtrip, next month. (We've already declined one upgrade and one upsell.)  My wife really gets a kick out of waving to the bridge personnel.

After the swag bag was delivered to our cabin, I told Mrs. XBGuy that I would be happy if we just kept the pictures and the notepad.  I really did not think I had a use for the robe or the apron.  She felt that she wanted to keep everything.  It was pretty easy for us to carry it off in the Princess tote bag since we did not have to deal with airlines.  We use the notepad regularly for shopping lists.  (In fact, maybe I should sign up for the UST, next month, on the Ruby Princess so that I can get another one.)  The photos are in my "cruise book."  The robe and the apron have not been touched.

To the posters who saw whales or dolphins from the bridge, I think that is pretty neat,  Was there an extra charge for that? 😉

To the poster who commented that it was chilly in the forward mooring station, I am in agreement there.  I had never really thought of the shorts thing (We were on an Alaska cruise in April.  So, we saw no reason to even pack shorts,), but, yes, I'm glad I was wearing long pants--and a long-sleeved shirt--for that part.

13 hours ago, caribill said:

One of the big advantages of the lowest balconies that sit out is you can see straight down. Not sure if the upper balconies can see the pilot boat when it drops off our picks up people.

I have never been concerned about people looking down on us, who cares!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsquared said:

In addition to the other locations mentioned, we got to visit the backstage area on our tour. I also think that we were told that if the medical center was in use it might be skipped. I would do it again!

Our tour met and started on the stage and the first thing we did was go backstage.

I have not done one on the Royal class ship. Thinking of doing it on our coastal in May.

I found the broad hall way running the length of the ship interesting as it let you see how a CD staff member can get from the back of the ship to the front long before you can on the main decks. I think someone else mentioned this above.

We did the tour on our last cruise. I had signed up on the previous 3 (short -- less than 7 days) cruises and they did not have enough sign ups. When we went there were five of us. We loved the tour and it was so worth the $150. We had also done the Carnival Behind the Fun tour and Princess Ultimate Ship Tour is much better. In all fairness, the Princess tour costs more so don't miss out on the Carnival one if you ever sail on a Carnival ship.

On the bridge, there was a cadet who spent a lot of time explaining things to our group. We were lucky because I don't think they often have cadets on board.

My tip is to bring your phone. They tell you no cameras so everyone left their cameras/phones in their cabin. I brought my phone because I have a case I wear around my neck where I zip my phone in case and slide my room key in the front (like one of those convention name tag holders with a pocket). When we got to the bridge, they said to feel free to take pictures and I was the only person with a camera. I'm not sure if that's dependent on the captain but it's worth carrying your phone around just in case.

Have fun. You won't regret spending the money!

8 hours ago, coopco said:

My tip is to bring your phone. They tell you no cameras so everyone left their cameras/phones in their cabin. I brought my phone because I have a case I wear around my neck where I zip my phone in case and slide my room key in the front (like one of those convention name tag holders with a pocket). When we got to the bridge, they said to feel free to take pictures and I was the only person with a camera. I'm not sure if that's dependent on the captain but it's worth carrying your phone around just in case.

I'm sure you are correct that the photographs on the bridge policy depends on the captain.

I've thought, a bit, about why they have the "No Photographs" policy on the UST.  My best guess is that they want to keep the tour on schedule.  I can't imagine anything that I saw might be considered confidential.  However, if the galley is expecting the tour at 9:30 and forward mooring station is expecting the tour at 10:15 and the bridge is expecting the tour at 11:00, I can see that the tour guide wants to be courteous to the personnel at those stations who are taking time out of their work schedule to host visitors.  If photography is allowed everywhere, then I can see the tour being delayed by people sticking their head into doors to get some unique shot.  There have been numerous reports that photography has been allowed on the bridge on some USTs.  The bridge is always the last stop.  So, no subsequent stations would be affected by delays.

Of course, my argument does not hold any water on other cruise lines that do allow photography on their tours.  Obviously, I'm not as smart as I like to think I am.

14 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I've thought, a bit, about why they have the "No Photographs" policy on the UST.  My best guess is that they want to keep the tour on schedule.  I can't imagine anything that I saw might be considered confidential.  However, if the galley is expecting the tour at 9:30 and forward mooring station is expecting the tour at 10:15 and the bridge is expecting the tour at 11:00, I can see that the tour guide wants to be courteous to the personnel at those stations who are taking time out of their work schedule to host visitors.  If photography is allowed everywhere, then I can see the tour being delayed by people sticking their head into doors to get some unique shot.  There have been numerous reports that photography has been allowed on the bridge on some USTs.  The bridge is always the last stop.  So, no subsequent stations would be affected by delays.

Of course, my argument does not hold any water on other cruise lines that do allow photography on their tours.  Obviously, I'm not as smart as I like to think I am.

Neither am I, but it could also be Princess security reasons, so someone with intent can't see how the lower area is laid out. Just a guess and not quite as good as the on for keeping the tour going.

On March 27, 2019 at 2:04 PM, XBGuy said:

I did it on the Emerald Princess, last spring, and my wife was happy to let me go by myself while she slept in.

OP, it was fantastic.

The highlight, for me, was the visit to the engine control room.  That presentation was given by the Chief Engineer--an absolutely hilarious Irishman.  I received so much knowledge from his presentation:

• I now have a pretty good understanding of how the ship's propulsion system work.  I found this knowledge useful as I was following the 50-page thread regarding the recent Viking Sky incident.
  • I have absolutely no qualms about drinking the water out of any dispenser--including the cabin's bathroom sink--on the ship.
  • I was wowed about the waste treatment system.

When we visited the bridge, I was able to look down at our balcony.  Timing is everything, and at that moment my wife was out there, and we were able to wave to each other.

After the bridge tour, we adjourned to the Adagio Lounge for Champagne.

I don't know if there is an age limit, but there was an 18-year old on the tour with me.  I'm saying go ahead and sign up your 17-year old.

This may be of interest--the image of the invitation that I received,  Personally, I made sure I read each of the bullet points very carefully.  Being a man of a certain age I paid special attention to the item regarding bathroom breaks--or the lack, thereof.  So, I drank no wine the evening before and I skipped breakfast, and, so, had no coffee that morning.

😉

UST Invite.jpg

Wow!  Thanks for sharing the invitation.  So interesting!

Edited by Cruiserkenn
Punctuation