Live! DragonOfTheSeas' B2B on the Grandeur of the Seas 3.28 to 4.18.19

5 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I agree with you.  We took a July cruise a couple of years ago and it was a very different crowd.  

One think that is true of the Grandeur is that many passengers drive into the port.  Many people that we have met on this ship say they only cruise on the Grandeur because they do not fly. [or no longer fly] . . . and they tend to be older.  

Yep, my parents cruise on the Grandeur all the time for this reason, no longer like to fly.  We are in VA and it's an easy 1 1/2 drive to port.

13 hours ago, mzhibbs said:

Yep, my parents cruise on the Grandeur all the time for this reason, no longer like to fly.  We are in VA and it's an easy 1 1/2 drive to port.

I see you live in Fredericksburg, VA. We used to live in the Fredericksburg area before we retired.  

I almost had a calamity last night.  I plugged my phone in to charge overnight.  This morning when I went to unplug the phone the nub you plug into the phone and the phone were red hot.  Luckily the phone had turned itself off when it got too hot.  The cord it toast.  I had to use a napkin to pull it out of the phone. Scary!  The phone seems to be fine.  I will have to wait until we get to Baltimore to take it off airplane mode to check out calling and messages. . . . OK back to the cruise blog. 

4 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I almost had a calamity last night.  I plugged my phone in to charge overnight.  This morning when I went to unplug the phone the nub you plug into the phone and the phone were red hot.  Luckily the phone had turned itself off when it got too hot.  The cord it toast.  I had to use a napkin to pull it out of the phone. Scary!  The phone seems to be fine.  I will have to wait until we get to Baltimore to take it off airplane mode to check out calling and messages. . . . OK back to the cruise blog. 

Oh no!  You weren't using the European plug with an adapter, were you?  That outlet charges much faster than the US outlets do, so we use that one a lot.  But never over night.  My husband is afraid that something would happen.  I made the mistake of plugging the hairdryer into that adapter once and it fried the hairdryer.  Stateroom attendant laughed at me, I guess it happens a lot. 

3 minutes ago, CruisinCons said:

Oh no!  You weren't using the European plug with an adapter, were you?  That outlet charges much faster than the US outlets do, so we use that one a lot.  But never over night.  My husband is afraid that something would happen.  I made the mistake of plugging the hairdryer into that adapter once and it fried the hairdryer.  Stateroom attendant laughed at me, I guess it happens a lot. 

No I was using the US plug. . . . on a positive note--The little cubbie that used to hold the old TV sets has a plug.  This gives you 3 US electrical outlets. The flat screen TVs are now mounted on the wall. 

• Like 1

Many people that visit Nassau head to Paradise Island to visit the Atlantis.  The ship has a day pass to use the water park there. Lots of $$$

There are 2 ways to get there.  You can take the water taxi which is $4 each way or take a land taxi across this bridge for the same $4.  

water taxi.jpg

bridge to PI.jpg

Many other passengers head to Bay Street.  It is one block from the water and has the usual souvenir and cruise related shops. [i.e. Diamonds International]

Bay Street.jpg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

11 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

No I was using the US plug. . . . on a positive note--The little cubbie that used to hold the old TV sets has a plug.  This gives you 3 US electrical outlets. The flat screen TVs are now mounted on the wall. 

First,  THANK YOU for this thread. We are SO looking forward to boarding on 4/25. 

Second, if you cord or charging block are not official 'approved' for/by your phones manufacturer, that can be the problem.  I understand they somehow are designed to handled proper flow of the electricity. And perhaps it is and that's why your phone was/is ok.

Lastly, great info on the extra outlets.  Following along. 

Erika

2 minutes ago, birdylady said:

First,  THANK YOU for this thread. We are SO looking forward to boarding on 4/25. 

Second, if you cord or charging block are not official 'approved' for/by your phones manufacturer, that can be the problem.  I understand they somehow are designed to handled proper flow of the electricity. And perhaps it is and that's why your phone was/is ok.

Lastly, great info on the extra outlets.  Following along. 

Erika

I was using the special fast charging cord that came with my phone.  I brought one for DH phone so I will be using that for the rest of the cruise. 

4 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I see you live in Fredericksburg, VA. We used to live in the Fredericksburg area before we retired.  

We've been here since '86 and love the area, though it has changed quite a bit over the years!

My parents live in Fredericksburg (they retired to there) and have since about 1999.  It's change a lot since then also.  Traffic on rt 1 near 17 (old Massaponax exit) is horrific.  It's worse than where we live in NoVA. 

As for the tv's, no you can't check your account.  Flat panels were put in several years ago, but they have never upgraded them.  They're just tv's.

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I had not thought to try that. 😮 I will let you know when I get back to the cabin.

They had flat screens when I cruised, but as of last year, you could NOT check your account through it.

We had a surprise when desserts cam out yesterday,  My picture of the cake is not very clear--but, you get the idea.  The cake was really beautiful and tasted good.  I wish I had gotten a picture of the waitress bringing out the whole try full for her tables.  

I do not know if yesterday was the actual anniversary. Or if they are going to be giving these on all of the cruises this year.  The waitress said they have not had them before.  [her English is not the best] She was so excited to pass them out. . . . I guess I will find out next cruise if it was a one off. 

birthday announcement.jpg

cake.jpg

• Like 2

I am curious what they will do with us B2Bers.  We have not gotten a letter on the procedure. It usually comes 2-3 days early.  I checked with GS a few minutes ago.  They have not figured out the logistics, yet.  

The entertainment tonight Is the Beatle Maniacs.  We saw them on a previous cruise, so we will pass

20 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Had one of those cakes on Anthem last week.  Very sweet but delicious!  Couldn’t eat the whole thing.  Katherine

We shared. 😁

16 minutes ago, RazorbackIslandGirl said:

Thank you for taking us along! It's scary to think what could have happened with your phone had you not found it when you did! Do you by chance have any photos of your cabin you can share? I also enjoy spending port days on the ship. It feels like you have the whole ship to yourself.

You are right! Luckily the wifi still works.  We will have to see about phone calls and texts on Saturday when we are in Baltimore.  Fingers crossed

I did not take any cabin photos.  I will do that tomorrow after the attendant makes the bed, etc. and post them.  

• Like 1