Glacier Bay may be in Regent's future...

Portolan

Picked this up on the Viking Ocean forum.  New 10-year contracts have been signed with the National Park Service for cruise line access to Glacier Bay.  It shows NCL with a contract effective October 1st of this year...which means cruises next year at the earliest.  I assume/hope that it covers the NCL "family" including Regent.  We've done Alaska with Regent three times and the cruises have been great, but the best ever glacier acitivity we've witnessed was on our brief early flirt with Holland America.

Be great if Regent Corporate could confirm whether they are covered by this license.

News on NPS site here: https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/news/glacier-bay-issues-new-contracts-for-cruise-ship-services.htm

Oh, I would love for this to happen.   I'd be inclined to book a 4th Alaskan cruise.   (But would have little interest of doing it on a ship that didn't have forward open deck, and I think I remember that Explorer will be doing Alaska in near future.)

Edited by poss

I agree with the comments above.  We've "done" Alaska pretty well on our HAL cruise and on our Regent cruise and (independent) cruise tour; but we haven't been to Glacier Bay.  If Regent goes there, it might cause us to book another Regent cruise to Alaska, assuming there is a forward open deck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Hmm, I hadn't heard that Explorer was taking over Alaska--interesting!

If you look up cruises in 2021 (May I believe), you'll see Explorer in Alaska.  I find it interesting that one of Regent's largest ships will go to an area which doesn't seem like it is selling too well.  In my opinion, they should put the Navigator back there (she can get closer to the glaciers).  

Mariner or Voyager are the best choices for Alaska because they both have forward outside decks and lounges.  Navigator, without a forward lounge was a poor choice.  Explorer without an outside forward deck will be a poor choice.

All three of our Regent Alaska cruises were on the Mariner, so we were very fortunate.

It would be really great to go back to Glacier Bay.  25 yr ago we were on HAL and saw a 23 story calving!  The noise was incredible and magnificent!  I agree that a forward open area is a must for Alaska.  Even though Explorer is our favorite ship, I'm not sure it would be my choice for Alaska.  In 2021, as Mariner is finishing up the World Cruise in the Med, it appears she'll be in for a refurbishment and Explorer, after completing the Grand Voyage from Hong Kong to Vancouver, will cover for her till she gets back to Alaska.  Hope to see the next 2021 schedules soon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

More exciting with fellow passengers.  Like watching your basketball team win 😀.

Okay - I kind of get it (not a sports fan though).  I would think that it would be the same type of environment in the Observation Lounge.  In my opinion, the best place to be outside on Explorer is by the infinity pool.  

In any case, we will be seeing Glacier Bay this September.  In my opinion, it will be hard to beat Hubbard Glacier (I will post photos).

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

What's wrong with being outside on your balcony?

Glacier approaches are usually broadside or head-in.  Even if the captain turns the ship to the other side, you'll only be on the "right" side half the time or less.

Unless, of course, you book the Regent suite on the Explorer.  (or the Grand or Seven Seas suites).

When we were in the Hubbard on Navigator, the captain turned the ship around so we could see from the stern and the sides.  But it was frankly too cold to be out on deck most of the time, so we watched from the (rear) observation lounge.  Would love to do Alaska again on Mariner.