HAL Renewal of Vows (ROV)

IrishSmileyM3

Hi,

Not only are we thrilled to be booked on our next and dreamy Alaskan cruise on the ms. Amsterdam in September, but we will also be renewing our vows 😍 at sea!!!

I've searched on here for some 'further' info for the HAL ROV package and to read about previous experiences and thoughts, but only found old threads (10, 9, 4 and 2 years old), so I thought I'd reach out and see with you all to get some fresher/latest info :classic_wink:

Has anyone here done one fairly recently?

And if so, how did it go and anything we should know in advance?

Also, is the package standard or can we contact the Ship coordinator for some customisation (i.e. type of flowers, vows...)?

Anything else you can think of? Tips, Advice...?

Thanks SO MUCH ☘️:classic_smile:☘️

• Thanks 1

Good morning Irish,

Seeing 50% of this 64 year marriage is Irish, I thought I would reply.  We have done renewal of vows 3 times aboard HAL ( for our 50th, 60th and 63rd anniversary).  When you are blessed with a wonderful married life I think you would want to reinforce  your commitment to each other.  I would recommend this to you.  Make sure you take plenty of pictures as they will bring back memories as you get older.  Good luck and may God bless you both.               Bud & Marianne

• Like 1

Hey 'smiley, how's it goin'?

Welcome to Hal.

We have done ROV twice (glutton for punishment!). It is a great evening.

The format hasn't really changed over the years. The vows are pre printed in a folder that you receive afterwards with the photos.

If you want to personalise it then i would suggest you wait until onboard and contact the events arranger (can't remember the exact title!) for any requirements. No good phoning Southampton, tho' posters on the board mention success by contacting ship services in Seattle.

Edited by VMax1700

39 minutes ago, oldpharmguy said:

Good morning Irish,

Seeing 50% of this 64 year marriage is Irish, I thought I would reply.  We have done renewal of vows 3 times aboard HAL ( for our 50th, 60th and 63rd anniversary).  When you are blessed with a wonderful married life I think you would want to reinforce  your commitment to each other.  I would recommend this to you.  Make sure you take plenty of pictures as they will bring back memories as you get older.  Good luck and may God bless you both.               Bud & Marianne 

Hi, and WOW, 64 years, is SPECTACULAR!!!

Looking forward for this ROV to being the first out of many then 😉

Thank you, and I agree. This is something we work on daily, and never take for granted.

And, as we will be celebrating the first out of many more milestones onboard this cruise, we both felt it'd be very special.

Thank you, and may God bless you both.              
Mr. Smiley and IrishSmiley

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We did ours a few years back, so things may have changed, but it was a wonderful experience.

I think the fee for this may be higher now than what you are seeing on the older reviews.

Oh yes, I did see you Dave on a couple of the older threads; and it is you who said that the Amsterdam is one of the best ships, right? 😊 EXTRA looking forward to our September cruise now.

The current package includes the following and is priced at $166.44:

Flowers in the stateroom
A special invitation to renewal of vows ceremony
A reception with hors d’ oeuvres and beverages
Certificate presented by the Captain
Dinner for 2 at the Pinnacle Grill
1-10x7 candid photo sheet

42 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Hey 'smiley, how's it goin'?

Welcome to Hal.

We have done ROV twice (glutton for punishment!). It is a great evening.

The format hasn't really changed over the years. The vows are pre printed in a folder that you receive afterwards with the photos.

If you want to personalise it then i would suggest you wait until onboard and contact the events arranger (can't remember the exact title!) for any requirements. No good phoning Southampton, tho' posters on the board mention success by contacting ship services in Seattle. 

Hija, Enjoying this stunning sunshine on our beautiful Emerald Isle!!!

Thanks; this will be our 3rd HAL cruise, but last one was in '07, so REALLY cannot wait!!!

It is great to hear.
And I LOVE the idea of getting the vows as a souvenir! Thank you.

I was in touch with someone from the Guest Services team in Seattle, as I've coeliac disease so needed to inform them in advance. I will ask her then.

1 hour ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

Oh yes, I did see you Dave on a couple of the older threads; and it is you who said that the Amsterdam is one of the best ships, right? 😊 EXTRA looking forward to our September cruise now.

The current package includes the following and is priced at $166.44:

Flowers in the stateroom

Sounds about like what we received, but t the time I think we only paid about $120.  On our cruise, the Captain sent us a bottle of wine (to our cabin) as well.  Plus, we were the only ones doing it, so we ended up spending over an hour with him, his wife, and the events coordinator over cocktails and cake (after the ceremony) - it was very interesting!  All in all, it was a great event and we really enjoyed it!

As to the Amsterdam - we were on her two months ago.  The ship is in fantastic condition and the crew was the best we have encountered on HAL (and the bar is set high on that!).  My THEORY for this is that the Amsterdam is used for World Tour cruises  (it started the week after ours) and I suspect that they staff the ship with their best people, plus keep the ship up better.

What a beautiful idea!  We will be cruising this summer and you may have planted a great thought in my head to surprise my husband with!  How did you go about planning your Renewal of Vows ceremony onboard?  Is there something on the HAL site?  Happy Cruise, and Happy Renewal of Vows!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HollyLaLa said:

What a beautiful idea!  We will be cruising this summer and you may have planted a great thought in my head to surprise my husband with!  How did you go about planning your Renewal of Vows ceremony onboard?  Is there something on the HAL site?  Happy Cruise, and Happy Renewal of Vows!

You can order on HAL's website.  No planning on your part - THEY decide which day and when the ceremony will be.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

You can order on HAL's website.  No planning on your part - THEY decide which day and when the ceremony will be.

I would assume they'd consider our excursions? Strange that they do the deciding, no?  Regardless, I'll look again on the HAL site ... every time I look for something there I get a headache.  Thank you!!

55 minutes ago, HollyLaLa said:

What a great handle HollyLaLa!!!

Thank you.

We just celebrated an anniversary and in my husband's Dutch culture, the half of it is a big milestone, so I thought it'd be the perfect way to mark the occasion, on top of our cruise. I surprised him by 'popping' the question at our anniversary dinner last week!!!

HAL sells the Renewal of Vows as a package. When you log in onto their portal from your booking, click on 'Book Gifts and Indulgences" then click on 'Packages' and it will be there as "Renewal of Vows". The package includes the following and is priced at $166.44:

Flowers in the stateroom

You cannot pick an exact date, and from what I've learned online, these are planned on Sea Days.

Happy summer Cruise, and, who knows, Happy Renewal of Vows!

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Sounds about like what we received, but t the time I think we only paid about $120.  On our cruise, the Captain sent us a bottle of wine (to our cabin) as well.  Plus, we were the only ones doing it, so we ended up spending over an hour with him, his wife, and the events coordinator over cocktails and cake (after the ceremony) - it was very interesting!  All in all, it was a great event and we really enjoyed it!

As to the Amsterdam - we were on her two months ago.  The ship is in fantastic condition and the crew was the best we have encountered on HAL (and the bar is set high on that!).  My THEORY for this is that the Amsterdam is used for World Tour cruises  (it started the week after ours) and I suspect that they staff the ship with their best people, plus keep the ship up better.

Thanks Dave, sounds like your timing was impeccable!!! And what a great extra special experience.

And, makes a lot of sense. YAY: 164 days and counting!!!

14 minutes ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

What a great handle HollyLaLa!!!

Thank you.

We just celebrated an anniversary and in my husband's Dutch culture, the half of it is a big milestone, so I thought it'd be the perfect way to mark the occasion, on top of our cruise. 

12 and a half? 😁

18 minutes ago, HollyLaLa said:

I would assume they'd consider our excursions? Strange that they do the deciding, no?  Regardless, I'll look again on the HAL site ... every time I look for something there I get a headache.  Thank you!!

Mostly on gala night, which mostly are on sea days. It is performed by the captain so it depends on his availability.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

Hija, Enjoying this stunning sunshine on our beautiful Emerald Isle!!!

Glad the sun is shining! We are currently in caribbean on Koningsdam enjoying real sunshine. Lasy year we were also in caribbean on k'dam when 'beast from east' arrived. Kids sent us pictures of snow and empty supermarket shelves. We responded with pics of us on beach and fillet steak with lobster! 😁

8 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Mostly on gala night, which mostly are on sea days. It is performed by the captain so it depends on his availability.

True - most times it is held on a Sea Day which is also a Gala Night.  But not always.  It does depend on the Captain's schedule.

Does anyone have any idea as to what the ceremony wording is ?  I’ve booked us a cruise for our 10th Anniversary this year and was considering this but we wouldn’t want anything with any religion/god etc in our ceremony or vows 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

12 and a half? 😁

YES!!! How did you know about it? 😉😂😊 I’m yet to find someone outside of the Netherlands (or Danemark) not to roll their eyes at that “quirky” number. I knew this was coming for the last 18 years, so I’ve grown to look forward to it.

4 hours ago, Lovely other said:

Does anyone have any idea as to what the ceremony wording is ?  I’ve booked us a cruise for our 10th Anniversary this year and was considering this but we wouldn’t want anything with any religion/god etc in our ceremony or vows 

Happy 10th Anniversary!!!

This is what I found on an old thread:

I come once again before you,

To renew our vows of marriage. 

I promise to be strong in my love, 

Gentle in my care,

Unwavering in my trust.

In the name of all we have created together,

And all we are yet to become,

I offer you my hand 

As your Partner, lifetime friend,

and Companion. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

Happy 10th Anniversary!!!

This is what I found on an old thread:

I come once again before you,

To renew our vows of marriage. 

I promise to be strong in my love, 

Gentle in my care,

Unwavering in my trust.

In the name of all we have created together,

And all we are yet to become,

I offer you my hand 

As your Partner, lifetime friend,

and Companion. 

That rings a bell ok!

If no one else updates with the full text then i will try to remember to do it when we get home (april 22nd).

12 hours ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

YES!!! How did you know about it? 😉😂😊 I’m yet to find someone outside of the Netherlands (or Danemark) not to roll their eyes at that “quirky” number. I knew this was coming for the last 18 years, so I’ve grown to look forward to it.

😁🙄 the company i worked for 37.5 years had a european head office at Schiphol Rijk, so i was well used to getting invitations to 12 1/2 year anniversaries (work and private).

I am now seriously considering this!  We already bought a night at the Pinnacle, so I figured we could "return" that and book a ROV and just pay the upcharge.

My question:

It says we can invite people.  So how/when can I do that?  Can I invite everyone (fewer than 10) from my roll call?  Do they essentially get a free reception of champagne, wine, snacks, and meeting the captain?  THAT would be cool. It'd make me popular, too, which is of course THE most important thing (cue Popular🤣

• Haha 1