HAL Renewal of Vows (ROV)

IrishSmileyM3

We loved our RoV.  I don’t think you could do a location change.  They had an area of the Tamarind marked off and decorated.  It was lovely.  One other couple.  They were actually on our hall/passage so we saw them frequently afterwards.

We spontaneously added words to the vows.  See photo.  The prompt was “ In the name of all we have created together,” and I added our children’s names. 

After the ceremony, the Captain said that in his 20 years of service, no one had ever said their children’s names and he was very touched and would not soon forget us.

02B6D43A-F551-486C-8ECC-999E9F101E80.jpeg

29D37F8B-5020-423F-A61E-9D593D962FD8.jpeg

D46E25C2-0F91-4F3C-9739-104B501870A8.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/30/2019 at 1:47 AM, IrishSmileyM3 said:

YES!!! How did you know about it? 😉😂😊 I’m yet to find someone outside of the Netherlands (or Danemark) not to roll their eyes at that “quirky” number. I knew this was coming for the last 18 years, so I’ve grown to look forward to it.

An eighth of a century is noteworthy!

DW and I got married in late December. The date made perfect sense at the time but we found over the years that it's hard to focus fittingly on our anniversary in the midst of the Christmas holidays. So, a few (!!!) years ago we decided that we would have a real celebration in late April to mark 33⅓ years of wedded bliss.

On 4/8/2019 at 3:33 PM, Lovely other said:

Does anyone know if there is any option to change the wording and location perhaps to outside ? We wrote our own vows for our wedding and tbh the standard ones for the ROV doesn’t really fit “us” ... for the life of me I can’t think of anything we created together 😂

I just read this entire thread and was hoping to see that Himself had chimed in.

You all may know that virtually every Holland America cruise has a Catholic priest on board. In the most recent cruise we sailed on board the Koningsdam the priest conducted a renewal of vows for two couples immediately following Mass. 

If your heart is not set on having your ceremony conducted by the ship's captain, you might consider asking the priest. I would be astonished if he didn't welcome you with open arms, regardless of your religious affiliation or non-affiliation.

If you wish to compose your own vows and to locate the ceremony someplace other than the Crow's Nest, the on-board chaplain may be the way to go.

Best wishes!

2 hours ago, Petronillus said:

An eighth of a century is noteworthy!

DW and I got married in late December. The date made perfect sense at the time but we found over the years that it's hard to focus fittingly on our anniversary in the midst of the Christmas holidays. So, a few (!!!) years ago we decided that we would have a real celebration in late April to mark 33⅓ years of wedded bliss. 

Thank you; it is something they've been celebrating forever. They even have "12.5th" greetings cards for it :classic_wink:

Oh, I LOVE that!!! Thanks for sharing.

4 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

We loved our RoV.  I don’t think you could do a location change.  They had an area of the Tamarind marked off and decorated.  It was lovely.  One other couple.  They were actually on our hall/passage so we saw them frequently afterwards.

We spontaneously added words to the vows.  See photo.  The prompt was “ In the name of all we have created together,” and I added our children’s names. 

After the ceremony, the Captain said that in his 20 years of service, no one had ever said their children’s names and he was very touched and would not soon forget us.

Warmest congratulations!!!

That is so very special 😍

And, WOW, you are both looking RADIANT!!! So glad this was a wonderful experience, and I appreciate you sharing back with us.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just thought I would comment about our ROV’s as after reading this thread we booked to do the renewal.  We were on from April 7th, we had two seas days at the beginning and the ROV was on the second sea day.  We were the only ones, I asked if there were other people and they said they like to have the couples on different evenings so the ceremony would just be about us.  We were on the Noordam and the event was in the Piano Bar.  They had it roped off with a sign outside indicating a private function.  To start  from the beginning we had a beautiful bouquet of flowers when we arrived first day in our cabin, set in the green foam, they lasted over two weeks.  We also had a bottle of sparkling wine in the room, which I later exchanged out for white wine.  The ceremony was the second sea day.  So when we go to the Piano Bar room, all beautifully decorated, flowers, red rose petals  all around, nice soft music.  The cruise director was there, offered us anything to drink, wait staff was there with hors d’oeures, generous enough for ten people and it was just us.  Captain showed up and we spoke for a few moments and then had the ceremony.  There was a photographer there who took many pictures.  It was all very lovely. They even had a “wedding cake” for us, which I don’t like a lot of cruise ship desserts as they look better than they taste, but this cake was awesome, white cake with cream and raspberry filling, again enough for at least ten people, we shared with our trivia team.  Anyhow we also received a photo album, we got to choose one picture, the album included the invitation, the vows, we ended up buying the photo package as there were several good photos.  We wanted one with the captain and one of us on our own.  There were about 15 pictures in total so we got all of them.We also received another wine bottle at the ceremony and a pinnacle grill dinner.  We were schedule for the pinnacle that night which was included with the ROV package, but I asked if we could do it on another sea day and they said no problem, so we headed to the main dining room that night.  Anyhow it was if I remember correctly about $176.00 USD.  I think it was a great experienced and if anyone out there is thinking of doing ROV on the ship, I would say do it.  This was our 30th wedding anniversary, God willing we will do it again for 35th.  Oh I forgot they also had flower boutonnières  for us, I has actually made a wrist corsage for myself and made a boutonnière for my husband out of our cabin flowers but they had them for us at the ceremony.  The cruise director asked if a wrist corsage is  better for women then boutonnière as they were thinking about that and I said yes, I think wrist corsage is better for women.  So anyhow as we received corsages with the package I was able to put the flowers that I had taken from our room bouquet back into the bouquet, good as new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 3:01 AM, Lido deck main said:

Hi All,

Just thought I would comment about our ROV’s as after reading this thread we booked to do the renewal.  We were on from April 7th, we had two seas days at the beginning and the ROV was on the second sea day.  We were the only ones, I asked if there were other people and they said they like to have the couples on different evenings so the ceremony would just be about us.  We were on the Noordam and the event was in the Piano Bar.  They had it roped off with a sign outside indicating a private function.  To start  from the beginning we had a beautiful bouquet of flowers when we arrived first day in our cabin, set in the green foam, they lasted over two weeks.  We also had a bottle of sparkling wine in the room, which I later exchanged out for white wine.  The ceremony was the second sea day.  So when we go to the Piano Bar room, all beautifully decorated, flowers, red rose petals  all around, nice soft music.  The cruise director was there, offered us anything to drink, wait staff was there with hors d’oeures, generous enough for ten people and it was just us.  Captain showed up and we spoke for a few moments and then had the ceremony.  There was a photographer there who took many pictures.  It was all very lovely. They even had a “wedding cake” for us, which I don’t like a lot of cruise ship desserts as they look better than they taste, but this cake was awesome, white cake with cream and raspberry filling, again enough for at least ten people, we shared with our trivia team.  Anyhow we also received a photo album, we got to choose one picture, the album included the invitation, the vows, we ended up buying the photo package as there were several good photos.  We wanted one with the captain and one of us on our own.  There were about 15 pictures in total so we got all of them.We also received another wine bottle at the ceremony and a pinnacle grill dinner.  We were schedule for the pinnacle that night which was included with the ROV package, but I asked if we could do it on another sea day and they said no problem, so we headed to the main dining room that night.  Anyhow it was if I remember correctly about $176.00 USD.  I think it was a great experienced and if anyone out there is thinking of doing ROV on the ship, I would say do it.  This was our 30th wedding anniversary, God willing we will do it again for 35th.  Oh I forgot they also had flower boutonnières  for us, I has actually made a wrist corsage for myself and made a boutonnière for my husband out of our cabin flowers but they had them for us at the ceremony.  The cruise director asked if a wrist corsage is  better for women then boutonnière as they were thinking about that and I said yes, I think wrist corsage is better for women.  So anyhow as we received corsages with the package I was able to put the flowers that I had taken from our room bouquet back into the bouquet, good as new. 

WOW: Happy 30th wedding anniversary!!!

Congratulations and best continued wishes to you both!!!

And, thank YOU so much for taking the time to loop back in and share with us your story.

It sounds absolutely incredible, and I cannot wait -- boarding in 77 days!!!

Regarding the photo package, was it a special ROV  photo package they offered you? How much was it if you don't mind me asking? I'm asking and interested as it'll only be the 2 of us, so knowing we can have photos taken by a 3rd person is wonderful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, advan63 said:

Just checked the pricing for ROV on our August 3rd Alaska NA cruise is $250..... almost $100 more?

Yes, looks like they have increased the price!  

I checked my booking for next year and it is $250

On 4/24/2019 at 5:37 AM, Petronillus said:

I just read this entire thread and was hoping to see that Himself had chimed in.

You all may know that virtually every Holland America cruise has a Catholic priest on board. In the most recent cruise we sailed on board the Koningsdam the priest conducted a renewal of vows for two couples immediately following Mass. 

If your heart is not set on having your ceremony conducted by the ship's captain, you might consider asking the priest. I would be astonished if he didn't welcome you with open arms, regardless of your religious affiliation or non-affiliation.

If you wish to compose your own vows and to locate the ceremony someplace other than the Crow's Nest, the on-board chaplain may be the way to go.

Best wishes!

Thanks for your reply,  but as an atheist that would be those most awful solution I can think of.  My husband and I were both raised Catholic and have no desire to have anything to do with the Catholic Church or any religion whatsoever 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovely other said:

Thanks for your reply,  but as an atheist that would be those most awful solution I can think of.  My husband and I were both raised Catholic and have no desire to have anything to do with the Catholic Church or any religion whatsoever 

Only you can answer if you're sure of your atheism. Is it perhaps possible that you've rejected the image of God that was planted into you as children. I stick by my confidence, that the chaplain on your cruise, if he's worth his salt, will welcome you and gladly assist you in your ROV regardless of your disaffection for the Catholic Church that was foisted upon you in your upbringing. 

And you can save yourselves $250 in the process!

In any case, it's a blessing all round that you're celebrating a milestone anniversary and looking to ritualize it in some fitting way. Congratulations and continued best wishes!

9 hours ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

WOW: Happy 30th wedding anniversary!!!

Congratulations and best continued wishes to you both!!!

And, thank YOU so much for taking the time to loop back in and share with us your story.

It sounds absolutely incredible, and I cannot wait -- boarding in 77 days!!!

Regarding the photo package, was it a special ROV  photo package they offered you? How much was it if you don't mind me asking? I'm asking and interested as it'll only be the 2 of us, so knowing we can have photos taken by a 3rd person is wonderful.

I can’t remember exact price was about $140.00.  The manager of the photo station said we could get all of our ROV’s photos in addition to our ship photos like the photos at each port as well as our candid shots on board, did not include the larger photos, but all of our photos in the MDR during Gala nights, we crossed the equator and I have a photo kissing the fish.  On this cruise I can honestly say that I liked all the photo staff, and I have never said that before.  I also don’t know if the manager was doing us a favour including the ROV photos with all of our regular photos.  We are pretty easy going and appreciate all the staff in the ship, I think it doesn’t hurt to ask nicely if they can work something out for you.  I have been reading that the price of the ROV has gone up significantly.  I am glad we did it, if you have already have it booked hopefully you will get the less expensive price.  Please check back with us after your experience which hopefully will be lovely.  

13 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Only you can answer if you're sure of your atheism. Is it perhaps possible that you've rejected the image of God that was planted into you as children. I stick by my confidence, that the chaplain on your cruise, if he's worth his salt, will welcome you and gladly assist you in your ROV regardless of your disaffection for the Catholic Church that was foisted upon you in your upbringing. 

And you can save yourselves $250 in the process!

In any case, it's a blessing all round that you're celebrating a milestone anniversary and looking to ritualize it in some fitting way. Congratulations and continued best wishes!

Wow that isn’t condescending at all 🙄. I am sure of my atheism, I have been since I was a child. There is no god and I’m happy in that knowledge. 

However, to suggest I be a hypocrite and use the services of a catholic priest to save money is quite frankly disgusting in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes, looks like they have increased the price!  

I checked my booking for next year and it is $250

We did the ROV about 5 years ago and as I recall the price was about $110-120.  It therefore has doubled!  I thought at the time that the price was well worth it, but at $250 I am not so certain, unless something has been added.

16 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

I can’t remember exact price was about $140.00.  The manager of the photo station said we could get all of our ROV’s photos in addition to our ship photos like the photos at each port as well as our candid shots on board, did not include the larger photos, but all of our photos in the MDR during Gala nights, we crossed the equator and I have a photo kissing the fish.  On this cruise I can honestly say that I liked all the photo staff, and I have never said that before.  I also don’t know if the manager was doing us a favour including the ROV photos with all of our regular photos.  We are pretty easy going and appreciate all the staff in the ship, I think it doesn’t hurt to ask nicely if they can work something out for you.  I have been reading that the price of the ROV has gone up significantly.  I am glad we did it, if you have already have it booked hopefully you will get the less expensive price.  Please check back with us after your experience which hopefully will be lovely.   

Thank you!!! All very useful. And, I sure will loop back in.Thanks again for sharing all of this info and details of your wonderful experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Wife and I did our ROV on our 25yr anniversary on a Veendam b2b to Alaska in 2008.  We had my mother, our son, and the 2 gentlemen who shared Best man duties at our wedding on the cruise with us.  All were welcome at the ceremony. The event was memorable and the HAL Captain and folks were Awesome!  We celebrated our 35th on Royal's Anthem otS (no ROV).  We are returning to Alaska next month on the Noordam to visit Denali.  Congrats on your ROV and keep the great attitude, it makes it work!

We are celebrating our 50th this year and I had heard about the Renewal Of Vows ceremony on board the HAL ships  so I wanted to find out more information and searched on CC looking for more details before calling HAL . Than I found what " IrishSmileyM3 " had started here a few months ago.

I am usually the organizor of our tours on the cruises and my dear wife loves it if I keep this as long as possible as a surprise to her , she trusts that they will all be wonderful and usually loves them.

So in August we are going on a cruise with our dear daughters  family including our two grandsons ( its their first cruise ) and I thought this is the perfect time and place to do the ROV . I read over the wording and I don't think there will be any objections from my dear wife of what we promise or tell each other so I just booked it last week for our cruise and hopefully also this surprise will go over well specially because it is in the presence of the children what can be nicer than that :classic_biggrin:

My TA booked it for me it is correct that the charges are more than was suggested it is $ 250 plus the extra charges for the guests , but hey we are only married 50 years once  !  

I really look forward to this ceremony and think we will talk about this for a long time to come.

Thank you all for your commentaries , and your experiences when you did the ROV .  A special thanks to " IrishSmileyM3 " this was very helpful.

Tony :classic_biggrin:

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

A special thanks to " IrishSmileyM3 " this was very helpful.

And thanks for Tony for calling this thread up to the top where I read it. I had heard about ROV (in the Fashion&Beauty board, where a question of "what dress" came up), and I thought it sounded pretty hokey! But reading all of the experiences on this thread, I'm wavering! Our 30th is 31 Dec 2020, and we sail 6 Jan 2021 on the Nieuw Statendam in the company of my mom, brother, and SIL.

Thanks also to the couple of people who posted the actual vows. We are non-believers with no children, but I surely look at our lovely life, home, and relationship as things we have "created together". 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2019 at 3:38 AM, PigsCanFly said:

My Wife and I did our ROV on our 25yr anniversary on a Veendam b2b to Alaska in 2008.  We had my mother, our son, and the 2 gentlemen who shared Best man duties at our wedding on the cruise with us.  All were welcome at the ceremony. The event was memorable and the HAL Captain and folks were Awesome!  We celebrated our 35th on Royal's Anthem otS (no ROV).  We are returning to Alaska next month on the Noordam to visit Denali.  Congrats on your ROV and keep the great attitude, it makes it work!

How exciting you are returning to Alaska next month (we will boarding for our first Alaskan cruise in a few weeks!), and thank you for sharing your ROV experience with us. Must have been so extra special to have your family and key wedding party members there too for you both. Thank you, we are very excited -- as our years together pass, almost 20 years (and 12 married), we always thrive to make it work and indeed attitude is key! We've had a challenging few months/years with my health, and it is special to take the time to mark these milestones.

On 7/1/2019 at 4:39 AM, sailingdutchy said:

We are celebrating our 50th this year and I had heard about the Renewal Of Vows ceremony on board the HAL ships  so I wanted to find out more information and searched on CC looking for more details before calling HAL . Than I found what " IrishSmileyM3 " had started here a few months ago.

I am usually the organizor of our tours on the cruises and my dear wife loves it if I keep this as long as possible as a surprise to her , she trusts that they will all be wonderful and usually loves them.

So in August we are going on a cruise with our dear daughters  family including our two grandsons ( its their first cruise ) and I thought this is the perfect time and place to do the ROV . I read over the wording and I don't think there will be any objections from my dear wife of what we promise or tell each other so I just booked it last week for our cruise and hopefully also this surprise will go over well specially because it is in the presence of the children what can be nicer than that :classic_biggrin:

My TA booked it for me it is correct that the charges are more than was suggested it is $ 250 plus the extra charges for the guests , but hey we are only married 50 years once  !  

I really look forward to this ceremony and think we will talk about this for a long time to come.

Thank you all for your commentaries , and your experiences when you did the ROV .  A special thanks to " IrishSmileyM3 " this was very helpful.

Oh I'm so pleased you've stumbled upon this thread Tony and that it was helpful and timely.

And, WOW, 50 years, how spectacular: congratulations!!! How amazing you've gotten it all sorted and will be surrounded by people you love: that's going to be very special, and what a surprise!!!

Please do loop back in, as we'd love to hear all about it.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise and an amazing and for sure very memorable surprise ROV!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 4:39 AM, sailingdutchy said:

it is correct that the charges are more than was suggested it is $ 250 plus the extra charges for the guests

Yes, HAL increased the ROV package a few weeks ago from $166.44 to $250 as they've added a few things to the package, which now includes the following items:

·         1 dozen Long Stemmed Red Roses (it used to be listed as "Flowers in the stateroom")

·         A special invitation to renewal of vows ceremony (same)
·         A reception with hors d’ oeuvres and beverages and cake (the cake is the new thing)
·         Keepsake Certificate (same)
·         Commemorative Album and 8x10 Photo (it used to be the 1 x 10x7 photo sheet)
·         Corsage (new)
·         Boutonniere (new)
·         Pinnacle Grill Dinner for Two (same)
·         Music provided by a string quartet (new)

• Thanks 1

Hi Irish,

From my Irish to another.  🙂  Thought I would include a couple of pictures from our ROV, the flowers that were in our room and also a picture of the cake, first time sending pictures so is a learning experience for me.  Anyhow, flowers in the room were there when we first arrived in cabin.  I switched out the sparkling wine for regular wine.  And then there is a picture of us with the cake.  I love the idea that you will get music provided by string quartet and sounds like you will get a dozen roses.  

Be sure to check back after your ROV.

Mary

DSCN0921.thumb.JPG.9767b41a909ff07aaa348c3ac061f6b4.JPG1634287330_Aftertheceremony001.thumb.jpg.391706fec4a41503e6a86e231cb2509e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

Yes, HAL increased the ROV package a few weeks ago from $166.44 to $250 as they've added a few things to the package, which now includes the following items:

·         1 dozen Long Stemmed Red Roses (it used to be listed as "Flowers in the stateroom")

·         A special invitation to renewal of vows ceremony (same)
·         A reception with hors d’ oeuvres and beverages and cake (the cake is the new thing)
·         Keepsake Certificate (same)
·         Commemorative Album and 8x10 Photo (it used to be the 1 x 10x7 photo sheet)
·         Corsage (new)
·         Boutonniere (new)
·         Pinnacle Grill Dinner for Two (same)
·         Music provided by a string quartet (new)

Wow it is getting better and better . It is still a surprise for my bride I guess she will find out when we get on board ship , love the addition of the cake specially with my family in attendance and most of all the string quartet . They are really doing it up ! 

Tony :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 1