HAL Renewal of Vows (ROV)

IrishSmileyM3

9 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

I am now seriously considering this!  We already bought a night at the Pinnacle, so I figured we could "return" that and book a ROV and just pay the upcharge.

My question:

It says we can invite people.  So how/when can I do that?  Can I invite everyone (fewer than 10) from my roll call?  Do they essentially get a free reception of champagne, wine, snacks, and meeting the captain?  THAT would be cool. It'd make me popular, too, which is of course THE most important thing (cue Popular🤣

You can invite people to join you, but there is a fee involved (not sure how much it is currently).  Inviting your entire roll call might be a bit much however, as usually the ceremony is held in a smaller venue and IMO could dilate the experience.

The experience varies alot depending on how many people are doing Vows and how many guests there are.  We were guests at one where three couples did the Vows.  It was a nice ceremony, but NOWHERE near as nice as when we did ours and were the only ones doing it (and no guests), of course.

I do think that you have to be invited to attend as a guest, but maybe I will try to "crash" one in the future (a bit hard to do as no announcements are made onboard about the ceremony!   

I feel that this is one of the best services that HAL provides and the fee is reasonable.  I have often wondered why HAL does not promote this more.  When we did it, we were the only ones, PLUS we were told that no one had done it during the ship's Canada/New England season (and we were on the final sailing).

• Like 2

10 people or 10 posters on your roll call??

How would it make you 'popular'? Do people you really don't know want to have their evening 'regimented' for a couple of glasses of sparkling wine and a few canapes. They won't have Pinnacle Grill afterwards unless you invite them there yourself. Now THAT would make you popular! 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

😁🙄 the company i worked for 37.5 years had a european head office at Schiphol Rijk, so i was well used to getting invitations to 12 1/2 year anniversaries (work and private).

Ah, that explains 😉 Over the past 2 decades, I've been invited to quite of lot of these, some full on ceremonies, some more private, but still, always something to mark this milestone. We feel so happy, all of the ducks are lining up and we love the intimate, thoughtful and timely aspect of it all.

Thanks for sharing your experience on this thread. I see that a handful of others posters are also thinking about it. Ours is booked, and we are thrilled!

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:23 PM, Lovely other said:

Does anyone have any idea as to what the ceremony wording is ?  I’ve booked us a cruise for our 10th Anniversary this year and was considering this but we wouldn’t want anything with any religion/god etc in our ceremony or vows 

Looking at my vows from 2016 there was no mention of God and or religion. I do not know if all Captains say they same vows. While I personally would not have minded the mention of God in the vows, the words were very touching and I was so happy we did the ROV .

We are celebrating our 40th anniversary on the Nieuw Statendam in October and have booked the ROV.  40 years ago we honeymooned on the Volendam to Bermuda for our first HAL cruise.  My BIL and SIL are cruising with us and are attending the ROV.  I called Ship Services at 800-541-1576 to add them and the cost was $13.42 pp.  It should be a wonderful event.

9 hours ago, cate54 said:

Looking at my vows from 2016 there was no mention of God and or religion. I do not know if all Captains say they same vows. While I personally would not have minded the mention of God in the vows, the words were very touching and I was so happy we did the ROV .

Thanks for sharing your experience Cate!

8 hours ago, I like vacation said:

We are celebrating our 40th anniversary on the Nieuw Statendam in October and have booked the ROV.  40 years ago we honeymooned on the Volendam to Bermuda for our first HAL cruise.  My BIL and SIL are cruising with us and are attending the ROV.  I called Ship Services at 800-541-1576 to add them and the cost was $13.42 pp.  It should be a wonderful event.

How amazing and Congratulations, so extra special and a full circle back!!!

6 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi All, Thank you for sharing your ROV experiences, after reading this thread I just booked ROV for our upcoming cruise next week, we are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this year.😊

How great is that!!! I’m glad my thread was extra helpful then and we will all have ROV this year. Congratulations on your 30th!!!

We renewed our vows on the Amsterdam (14 day Alaskan) for our 25th anniversary two years ago. It was very well done and very special to us. We lucked out and we were the only ones renewing our vows so it was a private ceremony. We invited 4 guests (paid - sorry I cannot remember how much it was). We received invitations for our guests a few days before the ceremony took place.  It was held in the Crow’s Nest, the area was walled off so it was very private. A Pianist played in the background the entire time. There were lovely appetizers and champagne along with cake. The flowers were beautiful and the staff went out of their way to make our event special.  It was held on our last sea day. We chose to book our included Pinnacle dinner for another night as we had been warned that with all of the appetizers and cake we would not be hungry for dinner and we were glad we did. The Captain was charming and we very much felt at ease. The staff allowed us to make some personal touches. My Dad read the speech that my Godfather had given at our wedding (a surprise for us)  and it was a very special touch. It was a heartfelt evening and I would absolutely recommend renewing your vows! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cawpaw said:

My wife and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary this October. We also have booked the renewal of vows ceremony.  After reading this thread,  I am so glad we did! 

How wonderful!!! I’m glad my thread was reaffirming then. Congratulations on your 30th anniversary!!!

1 hour ago, crazytomatoes said:

We renewed our vows on the Amsterdam (14 day Alaskan) for our 25th anniversary two years ago. It was very well done and very special to us. We lucked out and we were the only ones renewing our vows so it was a private ceremony. We invited 4 guests (paid - sorry I cannot remember how much it was). We received invitations for our guests a few days before the ceremony took place.  It was held in the Crow’s Nest, the area was walled off so it was very private. A Pianist played in the background the entire time. There were lovely appetizers and champagne along with cake. The flowers were beautiful and the staff went out of their way to make our event special.  It was held on our last sea day. We chose to book our included Pinnacle dinner for another night as we had been warned that with all of the appetizers and cake we would not be hungry for dinner and we were glad we did. The Captain was charming and we very much felt at ease. The staff allowed us to make some personal touches. My Dad read the speech that my Godfather had given at our wedding (a surprise for us)  and it was a very special touch. It was a heartfelt evening and I would absolutely recommend renewing your vows

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to share your experience: that all sounds so wonderful. And extra special to read all of these details as we will be on the ms Amsterdam too and for that exact cruise!!!

Particularly  love that tip about the Pinnacle dinner being booked on a different night, thank you, that’s great 😊 

Edited by IrishSmileyM3
  • Like 1

Just off the Eurodam 28 day Hawaii/ Tahiti celebrating our 40th anniversary. Our girls surprised us with rov package. It was amazing  flowers in room, corsage for me, and dh huge cake, stood in huge rose petal heart, captain was great, champagne,  apps, 8×10 photo in an album, photographer took many pics.  There were 2 other couples, celebrating 4 and 25 years. The 4 year went first, we were last.                                          It was on our way back to San  Diego held on a friday night at 7, was a gala night. We also did our pinnacle  dinner on a different night. Captain stayed about 45 minutes asking us where we had met etc.  Cruise director and entertainment  director  were also there  and another officer.  Would highly recommend!!!!!, we cut the cake and they delivered it to our cabin!!

2 hours ago, kacurl said:

Just off the Eurodam 28 day Hawaii/ Tahiti celebrating our 40th anniversary. Our girls surprised us with rov package. It was amazing  flowers in room, corsage for me, and dh huge cake, stood in huge rose petal heart, captain was great, champagne,  apps, 8×10 photo in an album, photographer took many pics.  There were 2 other couples, celebrating 4 and 25 years. The 4 year went first, we were last.                                          It was on our way back to San  Diego held on a friday night at 7, was a gala night. We also did our pinnacle  dinner on a different night. Captain stayed about 45 minutes asking us where we had met etc.  Cruise director and entertainment  director  were also there  and another officer.  Would highly recommend!!!!!, we cut the cake and they delivered it to our cabin!!

Happy 40th Anniversary: what a special surprise from your girls!!!

I appreciate you sharing your experience. Particularly since it’s so recent. And great to hear the team made it so special with other couples too as this is something we cannot control on the day and cruise.

We’ll  definitely book the dinner on another night too.

It ALL sounds so amazing: cannot wait for ours in September 🤩😍🤩

1 hour ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Just "returned" our Pinnacle dinner and booked the RoV instead!  Now to pick out outfits!

Yes, you did it! How exciting and welcome to the 2019 ROV Club 😉 

Outfits... What do you have in mind?

12 hours ago, IrishSmileyM3 said:

Yes, you did it! How exciting and welcome to the 2019 ROV Club 😉 

Outfits... What do you have in mind?

Thanks!  I wanted to thank you personally for starting this thread because otherwise I wouldn’t have considered the RoV in a hundred years.  Maybe I’ll use it to convince my husband of an anniversary tradition.  😜

Well, I wasn’t packing anything fancy/semi formal.  Mostly because the hubs doesn’t like “dressing up” (suit).  I used to have Rent the Runway, and I got spoiled on amazing clothes. I usually wear nice but casual dresses to dinner.  But now I have to consider something nicer that photographs well, right?  I have a white Ann Taylor dress I wasn’t even considering of bringing but might be more “bridal?”  

• Like 1

Since we had no idea of our ceremony I was going to wear my nicest black and white dress. Dh had no jacket but had nice black shirt and black and white tie but he actually thought to dress up in Hawaiian shirt. I had a blue flowered dress and he bought Hawaiian shirt with blue in it to match. He also wore beads.                  I felt bad as l had had to have my wedding band cut off a few months before and had no ring. Dh wears no jewelry but we decided to get these 2 matching bands in Hilo, they were like $10.00 each, and he has yet to take it off!!!!!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kacurl said:

I felt bad as l had had to have my wedding band cut off a few months before and had no ring. Dh wears no jewelry but we decided to get these 2 matching bands in Hilo, they were like $10.00 each, and he has yet to take it off!!!!!

I hadn't thought of rings!  My husband wears his but I don't.  Funny, huh?  It's because when I was in high school I was wearing my class ring and it got caught on a piece of gym machinery and I almost lost my finger (if you Google "ring avulsion" be forewarned: they are NASTY!!!).  I don't wear rings, though I own a bunch. 

I guess I'll bring mine just for the ceremony!  Add to packing list!

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady

Does anyone know if there is any option to change the wording and location perhaps to outside ? We wrote our own vows for our wedding and tbh the standard ones for the ROV doesn’t really fit “us” ... for the life of me I can’t think of anything we created together 😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, kacurl said:

You can recite your own vows but doubt you can change location and date and time is up to captain., most likely sea day

I don’t mind about the date and time I just hate being indoors for it ...maybe I’ll look for another option then ...

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2019 at 5:16 PM, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Thanks!  I wanted to thank you personally for starting this thread because otherwise I wouldn’t have considered the RoV in a hundred years.  Maybe I’ll use it to convince my husband of an anniversary tradition.  😜

It is SUCH a pleasure and you are VERY welcome @1964IceCreamLady

This is SO exciting as you are right there!!! 😍😍😍 Wishing you a spectacular cruise and a wonderful ROV!!!

Congratulations 💒🛳️🤗

On 4/8/2019 at 9:33 PM, Lovely other said:

Does anyone know if there is any option to change the wording and location perhaps to outside ? We wrote our own vows for our wedding and tbh the standard ones for the ROV doesn’t really fit “us” ... for the life of me I can’t think of anything we created together 😂

Location change, I have not come across anyone mentioning that on any of the threads and research I made. As for the wording, a few posters did say they added vows/sentences that meant something to them in addition to the Captain's words. I'd suggest to email hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com and they will then transfer your email and questions to your cruise/ship coordinator who will then get back to you directly. This is what happened to me :classic_smile: