Interesting offer on Freedom

blyle

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

...  We were bumped from a med cruise 3 days from flight day, the cruiseline made us whole and then some , but the experience was less then optimal (at least from my view).

I'm glad you were made whole, but it must have caused some stress.

However I have never heard that overbooking has been an issue with Carnival.  That's why the original post was surprising.  It seems way out of the norm.

Just now, bury me at sea said:

I'm glad you were made whole, but it must have caused some stress.

However I have never heard that overbooking has been an issue with Carnival.  That's why the original post was surprising.  It seems way out of the norm.

Agree, it does not fit.  

We ended up doing a longer cruise with the cruiseline the following year, ended well but it certainly was not stress free.

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I think it really comes down to the expertise of the magician involved.

It sure did not hurt, 7 day to 9 day and ocean view to balcony and there was another word that escapes me......um.....oh it was free. 

14 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

While you may think that, these types of situations generally happen late in the life cycle.  For people who get bumped (either voluntarily or not) it might be the only vacation opportunity they have.  If we use the airline industry as an example, sometimes it is a win win and other times not so much.  

Overbooking costs the cruise line money, th rationale here that they are doing it to seek cabins at a higher price has more holes than Swiss cheese.  We were bumped from a med cruise 3 days from flight day, the cruiseline made us whole and then some , but the experience was less then optimal (at least from my view).

If you are talking about an involuntary bump I agree.  If a totally voluntary 'offer', then all you have to do is say 'no thanks' and they move on to the next guy that might like to double his money.  I hadn't ever heard of an involuntary before (absent a cruise cancellation or something related).  What Princess actually does and what the OP seemingly discussed here was strictly voluntary.

Edited by jsglow

7 hours ago, jsglow said:

If you are talking about an involuntary bump I agree.  If a totally voluntary 'offer', then all you have to do is say 'no thanks' and they move on to the next guy that might like to double his money.  I hadn't ever heard of an involuntary before (absent a cruise cancellation or something related).  What Princess actually does and what the OP seemingly discussed here was strictly voluntary.

Understand your point