Reporting from Azura - very poor, and much in need of that refit!

Harry Peterson

On a TA on Ventura a few years ago we got £25 a day posted to our onboard account when we were without a TV. This was given without even asking. It doesn't help with the enjoyment of your cruise unless you spend it on drinks as we did! Just an idea of where to aim your complaint

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Going on our first cruise soon and it’s with P&O have we made a mistake or is it the case of people want a champagne lifestyle on beer money.

It’s obviously worrying and alarming to read threads like this especially as it’s your first cruise.

We have had many enjoyable cruises with P&O.

Don’t be put off and look forward to your cruise, I am sure you will have a great time.🙂

What ship are you on and where are you going.

20 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Going on our first cruise soon and it’s with P&O have we made a mistake or is it the case of people want a champagne lifestyle on beer money.

I would say just remember that you only see a snapshot on these boards - a very small percentage of the total number of passengers travelling on P&O.  They are not perfect but few are.  Probably 90 - 95 per cent of those who travel with P&O have a great time and don't experience problems.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Hi...your first cruise ...I am sure you will enjoy it and want to do more.

You ask if people's expectations are too high..." champagne lifestyle on beer money"....no I don't think its that. Even if you go in a " travelodge" style hotel you do expect the TV to be working/shower to drain properly/no flickering light in bathroom ...one expects a certain standard in any grade of hotel and if it isn't you complain and expect problems to be sorted....sooner rather than later...not just have to put up with things.

The OP has another disgruntle with P&O....as I have ....and sometimes when you already have a problem with the company other problems become moulded into one and you lose faith in the company.

I have every sympathy with the OP  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

We find P&O suit us, good value, great service, good food and mostly good entertainment.

They are certainly not perfect, but we have only ever encountered niggles, nothing that would spoil our enjoyment.

I am sure you will have a fantastic time...

Andy

• Like 2

Arcadia is a lovely ship - and not too big for your first taste of being on a cruise ship.  Just be aware that the seas around Guernsey can be tricky so there is a possibility that you might not be able to get ashore.  That's not a problem when you are on a lovely ship like Arcadia though - just chill and relax if that should happen.

Thanks for the advice Britboys I have read about the possibility of not going ashore,to be honest I go a bit overboard (not literally)about reading up about every aspect including YouTube.

Top tip - don’t read cruise forums before you take your first cruise!

Enjoy yourselves, whichever cruise lines you use, and beware of addiction.  It really can’t be so bad as so many of us keep returning, time after time

Sorry to hear of your problems, Docco.  I do think that for many organisations  ‘Customer Services’ should more accurately named ‘Customer Management’. That appellation would at least save customers from having unrealistic expectations.  Incidentally, we have always found P&O customer services to be very good. 

• Like 1

Don't let the moans put you off, we have cruised many times with P & O always fly Caribbean cruises only had one complaint previously and that was the first cruise - we were happy this time when the issue was sorted it was just a bit of a struggle to get it sorted. 

It won't stop us cruising, we have done a TA to NY with Cunard but don't compare P & O with them as they are not the same product but we are happy with both.

We won't do the TA back from the Caribbean again we were a little bored when the sun had gone in but that's not P & O's fault it's just not the right cruise for us we will stick with flying both ways and the jet lag when we get home, which was one of the nice things this time as no jet lag just a 5 hour trawl back to Manchester but it's each to his/her own   

5 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Well when you spend more than 5000 for a 2 week cruise and get told ports are going to be missed due to wind or taxes I dont think that is a cruise on beer money

5 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Not really. Just a case of expecting a travel company to provide what it said it would provide, rather than telling a pack of lies to try to fob people off.

Yet another table of people dining tonight and complaining about the bad attitude towards customers on this ship, and saying they're ditching P&O because it's now far too much like Ryanair. Basically if you're a customer you can go to hell.

L751 sorry the original poster did not mention missing ports because of wind is that just p&o or does any other cruise line do that,I have read about the tax thing but I thought a few other lines did the same thing as for the cost again is p&o overly expensive.

the £5000 is a lot but to put it in context I spent twice that for my family to come with us to Florida than to be hit with an hurricane where we was put on lockdown for two days,and we recived no compensation but we lived with it and enjoyed what little of our holiday that was left.

3 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

L751 sorry the original poster did not mention missing ports because of wind is that just p&o or does any other cruise line do that,I have read about the tax thing but I thought a few other lines did the same thing as for the cost again is p&o overly expensive.

the £5000 is a lot but to put it in context I spent twice that for my family to come with us to Florida than to be hit with an hurricane where we was put on lockdown for two days,and we recived no compensation but we lived with it and enjoyed what little of our holiday that was left.

The difference though is that your situation, unfortunate though it was, arose because of the weather. The situations I'm referring to in this thread are entirely the fault of P&O. They could resolve them but they choose not to in order to boost shareholders' dividends.

Missing ports due to weather is quite common so can't be helped, but when they become stubborn and refuse to react reasonably it is irritating to say the least, almost as if the company reaction is keep avoiding settling the matter and hopefully the complainer will just go away. Not just P&O/Carnival though, other cruise lines do it.

8 minutes ago, Brayman said:

You really think a Television is important when on holiday???

It is for some..... it’s also annoying when you find that something is broken or not working as it should when you have paid full price for the use of it! These cruises are not reduced in price because they have substandard cabins like for instance a partial view.

we all have the right to expect fully operational cabins whether that be kettle/tv/ac/water/toilets

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brayman said:

Certainly when the calamity that is Brexit is unfolding so appallingly and you want to follow it!

Add to that the fact that there's little of interest to do on this ship. Unless you feel that Competitive Bedmaking is good entertainment.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brayman said:

We always have the TV on a news channel, or sports channel when in the cabin, and for older less active passengers who like to relax in their cabins a large screen TV is most welcome.  Just a pity that P&O don't seem to agree.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, docco said:

Certainly when the calamity that is Brexit is unfolding so appallingly and you want to follow it!

Add to that the fact that there's little of interest to do on this ship. Unless you feel that Competitive Bedmaking is good entertainment.

I would be glad to get away from the debacle that is Brexit at the moment, and bed making....

Joking aside, we enjoy the TV for an occasional chill out before the next round of over indulgence and would be very disappointed if we didn't have that option for a long period of time.

Andy

• Like 3