Reporting from Azura - very poor, and much in need of that refit!

Harry Peterson

2 hours ago, Brayman said:

You really think a Television is important when on holiday???

It was on my TA on the Britannia, when I was feeling quite poorly for a few days! and I didn't want to pay P&O extortionate internet prices

I've read the post with a bit of trepidation as we are on the Azura in early May!

I don't expect much but a clean working room with working bathroom is a pretty basic fundamental requirement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brayman said:

See I kinda thought like that on the first sentence but tv is important for some. Only reason it’s not to us is cos we don’t ever do normal tv at home only Netflix however if there is kids channels on here (no idea what tv you get onboard) then I would be super annoyed as kids tv is good when it comes to trying to get ready without them under your feet. 

Also you always expect the standards. If there is a tv in the room it should be working. Toilet working. Hot showers. Room is clean and no smells etc. 

Youd expect these in your own home so why shouldn’t you expect them on holiday when you have paid for them. 

We are on the azura beginning of May. It’s the last year I can take the kids without being charged by schools. So I did book a week and I would have said it was a cheapy or at least that’s what I think anyway. 

Regardless I would still expect the normal standards you would expect in hotel room etc. 

When i last went on the azura, was 7 years ago now but I can’t remember one issue. 

Unfortunatly for everyone else the older I have gotten the less I tolerate. I don’t expect perfection and I don’t expect people to go above and beyond even though that would be lovely. What I do expect is to get what I paid for. 

The hot water bit is where I would have gone nuts about. Tv I could deal with but no hot water I would definitely go crackers at them

The lack of a tv to me would not be the make or break of a holiday,but the lack of hot water would get me annoyed.

i think I read that p&o does not do announcements in the cabin you must have your tv on to get them is that correct.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The lack of a tv to me would not be the make or break of a holiday,but the lack of hot water would get me annoyed.

i think I read that p&o does not do announcements in the cabin you must have your tv on to get them is that correct.

No problem with the announcements. They come through on an unaffected ship location channel. It's just the TV channels that are absent.

And they're still missing, for the whole ship, even now.

Here's the onscreen message we're still getting, and have been for days:

15541276212942792327355121483237.jpg

And just for the record, it's completely false information. It's nothing whatever to do with satellite reception and never has been. There's some kind of issue with the service provider which Carnival haven't yet managed to resolve. A financial dispute perhaps, like the one with the Port of Amsterdam?

Why should they worry about mere customers after all, if we keep returning for more lousy service?

Edited by docco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emam said:

Docco, just out of curiosity, when you went to complain the first time how did you go about it. Did you go with guns blazing, or did you ask them nicely.  

Rest assured, no question of guns blazing. Politeness itself throughout. But despite the equally polite responses from the customer service staff you get absolutely nowhere because they haven't a clue what's going on either.

And requests to escalate beyond that are turned down flat because, and I quote, "It's not the protocol".

I have got to the Customer Services Manager now, but only by contacting the Carnival PLC CEO as a shareholder.

It shouldn't be like this, but that's the way they play it now to keep their costs down.

• Like 1

I hope it gets resolved soon Docco. At the end of the day, no matter how much we all pay the basics should be available - hot water, TV service (whether you watch it or not) etc.... 

I increasingly find that it is difficult to get matters resolved on the ships, however simple they are.

I had an issue on Arcadia about 3 years ago now. The first issue we have ever had (in over 12 years) to the point that the way it was handled on embarkation day made us want to get off.

The simple issue was our room hadn't been cleaned - wet towels left across the sofa, clothing, rubbish, beds still in a double, no horizon paper or excursion tickets. I asked reception if they could get it cleaned, not a huge request really. We vacated the cabin so that the steward could clean without any of our luggage there.

It took until 7pm for it to get sorted, two visits with the deck manager and a further visit with reception who told me 'tell your steward how you want your room to look' which was rude as they knew it hadn't been cleaned.  

Honestly if you could have seen it after the first attempt - they had separated the beds and put one against the wall with two bed side tables in the middle (you could barely move between the wardrobe and bed to access the rest of the cabin!) - and they'd forgotten to change the bed linen and clean the rest of the cabin. 

So I do sympathise Docco as I know how much chasing up you actually have to do sometimes when things go wrong, and it does frustrate you.

I really wish that I had seen these posts before I booked my cruise on Azura, which is in less than 5 weeks time. I might have decided to go with another company had I seen all of the issues that seem to be happening on Azura. I can only hope that some of these issues are sorted out before we go. This will only be our second ever cruise. Last year we went on Ventura and the cabin seemed fine. Yes there were signs of wear, but to be honest, due to the amount of people that stay in these cabins, you would expect those signs.

Having said that, I would also expect everything in the cabin to be working correctly and also, not to find any bad smells.

I am really looking forward to our cruise and I am going to try my best not to let these posts sway my judgement. I wont even bother showing them to my other half and will hope that all is fine when we go.

23 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

I really wish that I had seen these posts before I booked my cruise on Azura, which is in less than 5 weeks time. I might have decided to go with another company had I seen all of the issues that seem to be happening on Azura. I can only hope that some of these issues are sorted out before we go. This will only be our second ever cruise. Last year we went on Ventura and the cabin seemed fine. Yes there were signs of wear, but to be honest, due to the amount of people that stay in these cabins, you would expect those signs.

Having said that, I would also expect everything in the cabin to be working correctly and also, not to find any bad smells.

I am really looking forward to our cruise and I am going to try my best not to let these posts sway my judgement. I wont even bother showing them to my other half and will hope that all is fine when we go.

Surely P&O will have the TVs sorted by the time you go.

I have just looked at the recent reviews and they are typical of P&O reviews with some loving it, most quite liking it and a few disliking it. Have things deteriorated that much?

I am hoping Docco has just been unlucky and these issues will not affect your cruise.

Have a fantastic time,

Andy

My upcoming cruise is with the in-laws who usually cruise with celebrity so it will be interesting to get their take on the standards on P&O.

I've read a few posts/ reviews about plumbing issues/ smells on board Azura, hoping that this is a very small minority of people. 

The tv could be a legitimate problem, but I recall reading that the when the sea screen went down ppl saying it was out of action for months, which doesn't sound like a proactive approach to issues from P&O.

Hope you manage to enjoy your cruise Docco.

31 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Docco 

Tell us what is good? 

Would hate to think your having a horrid holiday. Would hope something is good

I think I've posted some positives, but the suite staff are both excellent, as are the restaurant staff, particularly in the Epicurean.

The food's also very good, wherever you eat. 

Just now, docco said:

I think I've posted some positives, but the suite staff are both excellent, as are the restaurant staff, particularly in the Epicurean.

Oh good glad the food is up to scratch cos my little ones will be munching their way through although we will stick to the buffet restaurants. 

Have you been to the beach house? Hubby wants to go there for a meal. 

What about the entertainment?

7 minutes ago, docco said:

How is the hot water situation with the pools and the spa area? Does that mean that they're not heating the pools or that the steam room is out of action?

Tracey

16 minutes ago, jones721 said:

How is the hot water situation with the pools and the spa area? Does that mean that they're not heating the pools or that the steam room is out of action?

Tracey

Sorry. Not been anywhere near them but I'm sure they're fine.

9 minutes ago, docco said:

Sorry. Not been anywhere near them but I'm sure they're fine.

Docco, stop answering our inane questions and get yourself a Hendricks perfect serve (or tipple of your choice) and make the most of the rest of your cruise.

Have a great evening,

Andy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brayman said:

2 years ago we went on a cruise in May -- booked last minute for half term. We just needed a rest. It was just so lovely to go back to the cabin, balcony window open listening to the sea and watching Battle Chefs !!! Sad yes, but it was a perfect holiday as it was just so relaxing and exactly what we needed at the time. Off to Norway for Easter and will not be happy if we can't go back to our cabin one evening and just chill out with a good film ……..

On this same cruise.. in Super Deluxe Cabin.. we have hot water but no TV. Allegedly satellite issues but the murmurings on the ship are as Docco says that it is service provider issue and not satellite.

In Oasis pool it was nice and warm so I guess hot water is a cabin issue?

Stuck in Tenerife at the moment, Azura has done sort of technical issue.

Edited by DS_Dean

If no tv why don’t P&o let everybody have free movies. But as I posted earlier the channels are repeated daily on a four day. Post the daily movies around the ship on your cabin tv as a given, it means everybody, frail and disabled don’t have to gather on top deck or go elsewhere on the ship to watch the daily movies.

• Like 1

Delighted to tell you that the 4 advertised TV channels are now back this morning.

I was told by someone on the ship's staff who should know that it was a service provider issue, and given that presumably P&O won't be paying them for a service they didn't get for several days, logically that saving should be being passed on to customers who didn't get what they paid for either.

Precious little by way of apologies so far and absolutely no mention of any general recompense.

We left Tenerife 3 hours late last night after some kind of engineering problem but arrived in Lanzarote on time this morning to a lovely sunny warm day. Breakfast outside in the Epicurean was, as always, a delight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, docco said:

Delighted to tell you that the 4 advertised TV channels are now back this morning.

I was told by someone on the ship's staff who should know that it was a service provider issue, and given that presumably P&O won't be paying them for a service they didn't get for several days, logically that saving should be being passed on to customers who didn't get what they paid for either.

Precious little by way of apologies so far and absolutely no mention of any general recompense.

We left Tenerife 3 hours late last night after some kind of engineering problem but arrived in Lanzarote on time this morning to a lovely sunny warm day. Breakfast outside in the Epicurean was, as always, a delight.

Didnt know they did breakfast outside. 

Good to know its fixed

is that the last of the issues fixed now? Unless any more arise. 

Also what 4 channels do you actually get and I’m curious as to how your using internet. I don’t remember having any last time I went 

Hope you’ve managed to have a lovely holiday despite the ‘issues’ and have enjoyed the sunshine in Lanzarote 😎

I’m sailing on Azura later this month & although I’ve cruised a lot this is my first ‘solo’ cruise and I had planned to curl up with a film in the evenings. Although I gather from your post the tv is now working, when it wasn’t, were the ‘on demand’ films still available ?

Happy cruising !

38 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Didnt know they did breakfast outside. 

Good to know its fixed

is that the last of the issues fixed now? Unless any more arise. 

Also what 4 channels do you actually get and I’m curious as to how your using internet. I don’t remember having any last time I went 

It's supposed to be these:

BBC HD

ITV Choice

Sky News

Sky Sport News

Sport 24

All very much second-rate by comparison with full fat BBC, but certainly better than nothing at all.

The hot water situation varies as to time. You can be lucky or unlucky, depending presumably on how many showers and baths are being taken. Never come across this before.

Flickering lights still flicker for a while, shower won't drain properly, and I doubt ever will. The sitting room table was taken away to be revarnished yesterday and hasn't reappeared. Small things that you learn to live with.

Internet access is £12.50 a day. I'm using my UK data service mostly though.

9 minutes ago, Canberra forever ! said:

Hope you’ve managed to have a lovely holiday despite the ‘issues’ and have enjoyed the sunshine in Lanzarote 😎

I’m sailing on Azura later this month & although I’ve cruised a lot this is my first ‘solo’ cruise and I had planned to curl up with a film in the evenings. Although I gather from your post the tv is now working, when it wasn’t, were the ‘on demand’ films still available ?

Happy cruising !

Thanks. Hope you enjoy your cruise. Happy to tell you that the films were unaffected.