Independent Tour Options - Norway, Faroe Islands, Iceland

Liz Masterson

Well I suspect I may not have agreed with him on many of his opinions. 😏

So I especially don't want to pay to listen to them!  Though I do enjoy hearing what it's like to live where we are exploring.  So I expect to get some feedback on the politics in general I guess. Mostly I like to know more about what the citizens do to earn a living, what foods are popular, what special holidays do they celebrate... that kind of thing. 🙂

Edited by Liz Masterson
  • Haha 1

Well we disembark tomorrow. So sad to be leaving this outstanding Ship. We have kept a pretty hectic pace, and when I get home and have time I will comment more in detail about our tours. Let me just say we have been more than pleased with our choices. This has been a wonderful  itinary with just out of this world scenery. We have also been blessed with overall good weather, but be warned, Iceland can get COLD!

• Like 2

OK, sadly I am not a note taker, and I will try to recall details from my frazzled brain as best as possible. 

Wife and I did our own two day pre cruise stop in Oslo. Oslo is a very cosmopolitan city in every sense of the word. It is said to be very walkable, but we found the street layouts confusing. Once we found our way to the Opera House (who knew it was only a couple of blocks from our Hotel) and enjoyed the beautiful views from the roof, we picked up the hop on hop off bus which stopped alongside the building. We found this to be the best option. We decided that the Viking Museum was a must see, and were not disappointed. The Viking ships and artifacts on display are in amazing condition considering they are over 1000 yrs old. From there we walked (could have waited for the hop on bus) the mile or so up the road to the Kon Tiki Museum. We found that to be really interesting as well.We enjoyed the bus ride through the city and got many picture taking opportunities. Had dinner in town and retired to the Hotel for an early morning wake up. Took the Oslo to Bergen train which left sometime after 8am. Buy your tickets ahead of time! It sells out! The trip lasts about 6.5 hrs but seems to fly once the scenery begins.

At the Bergen station, we grabbed a taxi which got us to the ship way before the Viking busloads of fellow train travelers. Embarkation was quick and easy. The Ship is spotless and amazing! Crew is outstanding. We explored the ship for the rest of the day and relaxed form our journey. Day two in Bergen we opted for the included "Panoramic Bergen Shore Excursion". We were pleasantly surprised with the tour and happy with it. It left us time to explore Bergen on our own though the lines for the Funicular were WAY too long, it being a beautiful clear day (unusual for Bergen).

In Flam, we took the "Full Day Railroad Journey to Voss " excursion. We liked that very much. Beautiful scenery, and a nice lunch at the Hotel Stalheim, which has the most unbelievable view! The bus descent down the mountain is an adventure in itself. 13 switchbacks within a mile! I believe it was a bit more than 30% grade. The rear of the bus was 7 foot higher than the front. Be for warned: if you have a deathly fear of heights, this trip may be a bad idea. Many of the tours are on small mountain switchback roads, hugging the sides of cliffs with no barriers.

In Alesund, we took the Viator "Fjords to Trolls" tour. It is the same tour Viking offers but maybe $100 less per person. Better yet, you are in a small group van with the personal guide leaving the big full size Viking buses behind. This is true with all the private tours. Generally you can beat the crowds or the driver can change the itinerary around to avoid them. Way better option.

In Geiranger, we took the included "Eagles Bend Overlook & Panoramic Drive" The clouds were low in the Fjord that morning and sadly we could not see much from the overlook. But we ascended up the mountain to a glacier spot that was most interesting. On the way back down (switchbacks!) we did manage to get some great photo ops of the Ship in the Fjord.Sailing out that evening, Captain Willassen, probably feeling sorry for the morning fog, performed a slow 360 degree turn in the fjord alongside two beautiful waterfalls! What a nice gesture!

I believe I have already commented on the Faroe Islands M&M Tours "Golden Circle". Loved the tour but the political commentary was way over the top.

Seydisfjordur. We added the Viking "Skalanes Nature & Heritage Center" excursion at the last minute and were glad we did. We did not see as much wildlife as we hoped but it was beautiful, and a bit of an adventure. A wonderful tour guide who works at the center was just delightful. 

Akureyri, we took the Saga tours 'Lake Myvatn. These ports in Iceland are all about the scenery and this did not disappoint. We saw a Game of Thrones shooting location! Just spectacular scenery and Saga Geo Iceland does a fantastic job! Do not hesitate to use them, you will not be disappointed.

Isafjordur, we took the Wild Westfjords "Dynjandi Waterfall & The Westfjords" Again, these are small group excursions that you can do for a fraction of the cost of Viking. Our driver and guide immediately determined the amount of people headed to the falls that morning. We (maybe 15 people) got there before anyone else. We had the falls to ourselves and they are beautiful. It is much easier to hike up towards the top of the falls if there are fewer people. By the time we were ready to leave, numerous buses had arrived and the place was a mob scene. We went on to more beautiful scenery.

Reykjavik, we had booked Saga GeoIceland "Golden Circle" tour. Sadly the two weeks had caught up with us. My wife had developed a "Cruise Cough" and the thought of spending 8 hours in a tour van seemed kind of selfish to other travelers. We knew we had to pack up that day, it was cold and windy outside, so we elected not to go. I guess we will have to check out Reykjavik another time. Although after experiencing that airport, maybe the worst I have been to (more of a shopping mall than an airport), I may pass.

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did ours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, retiredman said:

OK, sadly I am not a note taker, and I will try to recall details from my frazzled brain as best as possible. 

Wife and I did our own two day pre cruise stop in Oslo. Oslo is a very cosmopolitan city in every sense of the word. It is said to be very walkable, but we found the street layouts confusing. Once we found our way to the Opera House (who knew it was only a couple of blocks from our Hotel) and enjoyed the beautiful views from the roof, we picked up the hop on hop off bus which stopped alongside the building. We found this to be the best option. We decided that the Viking Museum was a must see, and were not disappointed. The Viking ships and artifacts on display are in amazing condition considering they are over 1000 yrs old. From there we walked (could have waited for the hop on bus) the mile or so up the road to the Kon Tiki Museum. We found that to be really interesting as well.We enjoyed the bus ride through the city and got many picture taking opportunities. Had dinner in town and retired to the Hotel for an early morning wake up. Took the Oslo to Bergen train which left sometime after 8am. Buy your tickets ahead of time! It sells out! The trip lasts about 6.5 hrs but seems to fly once the scenery begins.

At the Bergen station, we grabbed a taxi which got us to the ship way before the Viking busloads of fellow train travelers. Embarkation was quick and easy. The Ship is spotless and amazing! Crew is outstanding. We explored the ship for the rest of the day and relaxed form our journey. Day two in Bergen we opted for the included "Panoramic Bergen Shore Excursion". We were pleasantly surprised with the tour and happy with it. It left us time to explore Bergen on our own though the lines for the Funicular were WAY too long, it being a beautiful clear day (unusual for Bergen).

In Flam, we took the "Full Day Railroad Journey to Voss " excursion. We liked that very much. Beautiful scenery, and a nice lunch at the Hotel Stalheim, which has the most unbelievable view! The bus descent down the mountain is an adventure in itself. 13 switchbacks within a mile! I believe it was a bit more than 30% grade. The rear of the bus was 7 foot higher than the front. Be for warned: if you have a deathly fear of heights, this trip may be a bad idea. Many of the tours are on small mountain switchback roads, hugging the sides of cliffs with no barriers.

In Alesund, we took the Viator "Fjords to Trolls" tour. It is the same tour Viking offers but maybe $100 less per person. Better yet, you are in a small group van with the personal guide leaving the big full size Viking buses behind. This is true with all the private tours. Generally you can beat the crowds or the driver can change the itinerary around to avoid them. Way better option.

In Geiranger, we took the included "Eagles Bend Overlook & Panoramic Drive" The clouds were low in the Fjord that morning and sadly we could not see much from the overlook. But we ascended up the mountain to a glacier spot that was most interesting. On the way back down (switchbacks!) we did manage to get some great photo ops of the Ship in the Fjord.Sailing out that evening, Captain Willassen, probably feeling sorry for the morning fog, performed a slow 360 degree turn in the fjord alongside two beautiful waterfalls! What a nice gesture!

I believe I have already commented on the Faroe Islands M&M Tours "Golden Circle". Loved the tour but the political commentary was way over the top.

Seydisfjordur. We added the Viking "Skalanes Nature & Heritage Center" excursion at the last minute and were glad we did. We did not see as much wildlife as we hoped but it was beautiful, and a bit of an adventure. A wonderful tour guide who works at the center was just delightful. 

Akureyri, we took the Saga tours 'Lake Myvatn. These ports in Iceland are all about the scenery and this did not disappoint. We saw a Game of Thrones shooting location! Just spectacular scenery and Saga Geo Iceland does a fantastic job! Do not hesitate to use them, you will not be disappointed.

Isafjordur, we took the Wild Westfjords "Dynjandi Waterfall & The Westfjords" Again, these are small group excursions that you can do for a fraction of the cost of Viking. Our driver and guide immediately determined the amount of people headed to the falls that morning. We (maybe 15 people) got there before anyone else. We had the falls to ourselves and they are beautiful. It is much easier to hike up towards the top of the falls if there are fewer people. By the time we were ready to leave, numerous buses had arrived and the place was a mob scene. We went on to more beautiful scenery.

Reykjavik, we had booked Saga GeoIceland "Golden Circle" tour. Sadly the two weeks had caught up with us. My wife had developed a "Cruise Cough" and the thought of spending 8 hours in a tour van seemed kind of selfish to other travelers. We knew we had to pack up that day, it was cold and windy outside, so we elected not to go. I guess we will have to check out Reykjavik another time. Although after experiencing that airport, maybe the worst I have been to (more of a shopping mall than an airport), I may pass.

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did ours. 

THANK YOU!!!!!

Very helpful. Questions coming.

• Like 1

I had heard the Reykjavík airport was... small? I’ve heard few chairs and not many food options.  

It sounds like you would recommend most of your tour companies with the possible exception of M&M in the Faroe Islands. But perhaps that was just that tour guide. Did you hear about any excursions that went particularly well in the Faroe Islands? 

Thanks so so much for posting @retiredman!

On 8/20/2019 at 7:09 AM, Liz Masterson said:

I had heard the Reykjavík airport was... small? I’ve heard few chairs and not many food options.  

It sounds like you would recommend most of your tour companies with the possible exception of M&M in the Faroe Islands. But perhaps that was just that tour guide. Did you hear about any excursions that went particularly well in the Faroe Islands? 

Thanks so so much for posting @retiredman!

I can't say I recall anyone discussing other tours in the Faroe Islands. Viking Tours were kind of limited, one reason why I booked the M&M Golden Circle Tour. It was pretty comprehensive and covered a good bit of the fjords. It lasted much longer than any of the offered ship tours. Whether or not you get the same guide as we had may be a chance you have to take. Its a shame because he really knew his subject, he just could not help the political talk.

• Like 1

We are on the Viking Sky at this time. We were in the Faroe Islands a few days ago and had a wonderful full day Golden Circle tour with M&M.   Our guide was a gentleman named John and he was an excellent representative of his country. He was one of the best tour guide we’ve had on this trip. Although the weather was cold, wet and rainy, John helped to make it a delightful day.  He loves his island and was proud to show it.  I would not hesitate to book this tour in the future and you can only hope to get this wonderful guide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Retiredman, thank you for the detailed description of the excursions.  In another thread (I believe it was the roll call) you mentioned that you loved the lectures on your Viking cruise.  What time of the day did they usually take place?

Generally 4 and or 6:30pm. Mostly 6:30, which can interfere with dinner at times. You can always catch up on the room television. On sea days, there were 9 and 10 am lectures, all well attended. Dr. Michael Fuller, the resident historian, is really entertaining. I found his lectures most enjoyable.

• Like 1

Thank you for the fast response.  We really enjoyed the lectures on our Viking Russian river cruise a few years ago, and don't want to miss them on the ocean cruise.  Great to hear that Viking had expert lecturers on your cruise, and hopefully we will have somebody just as good next year.

• 2 weeks later...

We met some friendly people from Iceland a few weeks ago at our golf course in Tampa.  Now, we are going to play golf in Iceland as an adventure we will remember for life.  Brautarholt Golf Club is our "private tour"...they will pick us up from the ship, provide rental clubs and a golf cart.  The dramatic photos on their website are beautiful.  They told us there are 65 golf courses in Iceland.  Brautarholt is the oldest.  We thought this would be a fun thing to do on our 2nd trip to Reykjavik.   FORE!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/21/2019 at 9:56 PM, AGG3 said:

We are on the Viking Sky at this time. We were in the Faroe Islands a few days ago and had a wonderful full day Golden Circle tour with M&M.   Our guide was a gentleman named John and he was an excellent representative of his country. He was one of the best tour guide we’ve had on this trip. Although the weather was cold, wet and rainy, John helped to make it a delightful day.  He loves his island and was proud to show it.  I would not hesitate to book this tour in the future and you can only hope to get this wonderful guide.

We had the same guide and thoroughly enjoyed him!

We stayed in Reykjavik after the cruise on our own. We booked private tours with www.IcelandIntro.is.  One day was the Premium Southern Iceland Mini-Bus Tour and another day was the Premium Golden Circle Mini-Bus Tour. Tour size was smaller. Tours were all day, but these two days were the absolute highlight of the entire trip! Iceland is beautiful and these two tours are a must! We saw spectacular waterfalls, magnificent scenery, a black sand beach, a farm, and incredible glacier. These tours are very long but so worth it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/2/2019 at 9:34 AM, retiredman said:

One suggestion would be to check out the roll calls for this coming season. I believe the first cruise is May 27th and they may have selected their tours. They discuss private tour options on the roll call sites. You could also check out the Ports of Call thread. Plenty of Iceland and Norway discussion there.

Sorry to be a dummy but you mention "roll calls". No idea on this .

Help? Please!