Amsterdam Launderette

CruiseMob

Deck plans still has a launderette on the Amsterdam.  How does this work? Do they have detergent and fabric softener available? Does the machine take coins or charged to onboard account? Any details provided is greatly appreciated. 

I'm currently on the Amsterdam world cruise. There are 4 washers/dryers on deck 3 and another 4 on deck 6. Washer is $2.00 in quarters only. You can get a roll of quarters at guest services. Soap is automatically dispersed. Dryers are free. No fabric softeners or dryer sheets are available so bring your own. 2 irons are also on each laundromat.

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just so you know, as we didn't on our first 6 HAL cruises, you can get unlimited laundry service for $7 per day per cabin! So if you really don't want to do laundry on your cruise, you have this option to consider if you didn't already know about it.

Is this true? I would rather do that.

8 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

Is this true? I would rather do that.

Yup! On our 7th HAL cruise, we got an upsell to a Neptune suite where we first heard about unlimited laundry, which was free for Neptune folks. That's when we found out that it was $7 per day per cabin for everyone else. It's also free once you make 4 star Mariner status.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruiseMob said:

Do you have to be on board to purchase this? I didn't see a way to pre-purchase this online. For a 14 day cruise this would be $98 for the 2 of us if it is per cabin, correct?

Correct. We usually check the unlimited option on the laundry slip the first time we submit a laundry bag. But ask your steward once you board the ship to be sure. However, I don't believe you can preorder the unlimited option before the cruise.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Sorry, one more question, is the bag deal a one time deal, or can you do multiple bags throughout the cruise. Trying to see what is the better deal for us. If we can do the bag deal more than once per cruise, it would be 5 bags of laundry to exceed the $7 per day.

HAL has updated the list of ships offering self-serve laundry. The Know Before you Go PDF download dated March 2019 still has 4 ships but the website today lists only these two.

Onboard self-service launderettes consisting of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards are available on the ms Amsterdam and Maasdam.

MS Prinsendam is leaving the fleet, but Veendam has also been dropped from the list.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:38 PM, CruiseMob said:

Sorry, one more question, is the bag deal a one time deal, or can you do multiple bags throughout the cruise. Trying to see what is the better deal for us. If we can do the bag deal more than once per cruise, it would be 5 bags of laundry to exceed the $7 per day.

On earlier cruises I did send out 2 of the twenty dollar bags in a week.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:36 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

Yup! On our 7th HAL cruise, we got an upsell to a Neptune suite where we first heard about unlimited laundry, which was free for Neptune folks. That's when we found out that it was $7 per day per cabin for everyone else. It's also free once you make 4 star Mariner status.

I assume that once one starts the laundry service, it is $7 a day, every day, regardless if you have laundry done or not. What I am trying to find out is if you can just pay $7 whenever you want laundry done? Or do you have to sign up for daily laundry service for every day you on are the cruise?

3 minutes ago, Funatabi said:

I assume that once one starts the laundry service, it is $7 a day, every day, regardless if you have laundry done or not. What I am trying to find out is if you can just pay $7 whenever you want laundry done? Or do you have to sign up for daily laundry service for every day you on are the cruise?

This is the correct answer and I believe if you put in your laundry on the 3rd day of the cruise, for example, and check the unlimited option, you will be charged $7 per day every day of the cruise starting the first day rather than the third in this example. This is how it has always worked when we used it. 

7 minutes ago, Funatabi said:

It's either the $20 per bag or the $7 per day for the entire length of the cruise. There's no switching back and forth.

If in a hot weather area it's nice to come in from the day, get out of your clothes, and put them in a bag by themselves. No need to fill the bag to get your money's worth. The unlimited pays for itself in convenience then.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies about laundry service and how it works. For a world cruise at $7 a day, I could buy a whole new wardrobe, or almost.😄 😅

I will check out the "$20 a bag" option.

In the meantime, I will start saving up my quarters for the launderette.

11 hours ago, Funatabi said:

Thanks for the replies about laundry service and how it works. For a world cruise at $7 a day, I could buy a whole new wardrobe, or almost.😄 😅

I will check out the "$20 a bag" option.

In the meantime, I will start saving up my quarters for the launderette.

7 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

No need to save quarters. You can get a roll of them at guest services.

Thanks. I read that guest services has rolls of quarters. I will first try my luck with the quarter machines. $20 a bag is 10 loads in the washing machine.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:44 AM, sandiego1 said:

I'm currently on the Amsterdam world cruise. There are 4 washers/dryers on deck 3 and another 4 on deck 6. Washer is $2.00 in quarters only. You can get a roll of quarters at guest services. Soap is automatically dispersed. Dryers are free. No fabric softeners or dryer sheets are available so bring your own. 2 irons are also on each laundromat. 

DH is extremely sensitive to scented laundry detergents.   Would you happen to know if the detergent that is automatically dispensed is "Free and Clear".    I always pack our own detergent as one load of wash in the wrong detergent could ruin our cruise.

Can anyone share the typical turn around for laundry? How soon can we send out laundry?

We have a few days in Amsterdam before our cruise. It would be great to get on board and send out some laundry right away! I'm packing a limited wardrobe, so knowing the turn around time would also help.

Thanks

55 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

Can anyone share the typical turn around for laundry? How soon can we send out laundry?

We have a few days in Amsterdam before our cruise. It would be great to get on board and send out some laundry right away! I'm packing a limited wardrobe, so knowing the turn around time would also help.

Thanks

You can leave a bag of laundry on the bed when you head for dinner the first night. I have had laundry returned as early as the next morning, but more often during turn down the next evening. It can be, and is not promised sooner than, two days after sending it in.
I also find the sooner I send it in after boarding, the faster it comes back.