What if go on goes down

tvo7

I was just wondering for emergency sake, if voom goes down and I need to have my phone for any emergency calls.  I decide to switch my phone to cell phone and use ship cell phone at sea.  If a call comes in  and I don't pick it up will I get charged for it?

4 hours ago, tvo7 said:

I was just wondering for emergency sake, if voom goes down and I need to have my phone for any emergency calls.  I decide to switch my phone to cell phone and use ship cell phone at sea.  If a call comes in  and I don't pick it up will I get charged for it?

If your phone rings, you will be changed at least one minute by your cell carrier.  For AT&T, that's $2.49, for Verizon it's $2.99.

5 hours ago, tvo7 said:

I know with AT&T as soon as you take your phone off airplane mode and connect to the ships tower you will start incurring data charges.  This could come from emails that will start coming through, apps running in the background, and any texts that weren't able to get through while you were in airplane mode.  I'm not sure how voicemails messages would be affected but wouldn't take long to rack up $$ with the rest.   

Edited by Mr. Candyman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

If your phone rings, you will be changed at least one minute by your cell carrier.  For AT&T, that's $2.49, for Verizon it's $2.99.

That is not necessarily true. I have ATT and have had the phone ring while at sea and did not get charged. In this case, it is probably a moot point, though. If voom is down, it likely means the satellite connection is down, so cellular at sea will be down too.

2 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I know with AT&T as soon as you take your phone off airplane mode and connect to the ships tower you will start incurring data charges.  This could come from emails that will start coming through, apps running in the background, and any texts that weren't able to get through while you were in airplane mode.  I'm not sure how voicemails messages would be affected but wouldn't take long to rack up $$ with the rest.   

Only if you leave data roaming on. I leave data roaming off, I’ve never gotten a data charge from cellular at sea or any data charge while roaming. Before WiFi calling, I would regularly take my phone out of airplane mode to check text messages since incoming messages are free. Anyway, as long as cellular data or data roaming are off, you won’t rack up data charges.

• Like 1

From complaints I have read it depends if your caller leaves a message or hangs up quickly.  

It appears that the re-direct to voicemail is chargeable for some carriers, as if you called your voicemail.  If the caller leaves a 10 minute drawn out voice mail you get to pay for that 10 minute call from the ship to the voicemail system at home while the caller is leaving the message. 

If the caller hangs up with no message then you are off the hook.  

26 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Only if you leave data roaming on. I leave data roaming off, I’ve never gotten a data charge from cellular at sea or any data charge while roaming. Before WiFi calling, I would regularly take my phone out of airplane mode to check text messages since incoming messages are free. Anyway, as long as cellular data or data roaming are off, you won’t rack up data charges.

Yep, this is my experience as well.

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

From complaints I have read it depends if your caller leaves a message or hangs up quickly.  

It appears that the re-direct to voicemail is chargeable for some carriers, as if you called your voicemail.  If the caller leaves a 10 minute drawn out voice mail you get to pay for that 10 minute call from the ship to the voicemail system at home while the caller is leaving the message. 

If the caller hangs up with no message then you are off the hook.  

I have never heard of that happening. If the call goes to voicemail, getting a minute charge is likely but as I noted, I’ve never heard of being charged for more than that. Perhaps that’s because most voicemails are short. Just to clear, though, this can only happen if your phone rings long enough to be transferred to voicemail. 

1 hour ago, blackshirt said:

That is not necessarily true. I have ATT and have had the phone ring while at sea and did not get charged. In this case, it is probably a moot point, though. If voom is down, it likely means the satellite connection is down, so cellular at sea will be down too.

That's not been my experience with AT&T, but I appreciate the update.

On the Cruise Ship when no land port is available, here is how my plan works (Rogers Canada).  I don't know if most plans in the USA are similar.  Certainly they would be cheaper.

Voice rates:  $4/min

Text messages:  75 cents per message outbound.  25 cents per message inbound.  Unless you have a plan that covers International messages.  This always confuses me.  

Data:  $15/mb.

When on land, they just charge a flat $12/day internationally.  

*It is not completely clear to me if there is an extra roaming charge assessed.  Rogers says no, but I don't always trust customer service.

To me, the real scary part is always the text messages, especially if kids are involved.  

2 hours ago, blackshirt said:

I don't remember all the details but more than likely my roaming was on. We had just pulled out of Key West so I had to call AT&T and they put me on the internatonal plan which it was $10 A-day (for each day used outside of their area) to keep my from excessive charges.

1 hour ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I don't remember all the details but more than likely my roaming was on. We had just pulled out of Key West so I had to call AT&T and they put me on the internatonal plan which it was $10 A-day (for each day used outside of their area) to keep my from excessive charges.

Just FYI, that $10 per day plan does not cover any usage on the cruise ship, only at port stops. 

2 hours ago, fscool said:

On the Cruise Ship when no land port is available, here is how my plan works (Rogers Canada).  I don't know if most plans in the USA are similar.  Certainly they would be cheaper.

Voice rates:  $4/min

Text messages:  75 cents per message outbound.  25 cents per message inbound.  Unless you have a plan that covers International messages.  This always confuses me.  

Data:  $15/mb.

When on land, they just charge a flat $12/day internationally.  

*It is not completely clear to me if there is an extra roaming charge assessed.  Rogers says no, but I don't always trust customer service.

To me, the real scary part is always the text messages, especially if kids are involved.  

I've used their roaming services during my last trip in November, which was in Italy. I was only charged the daily rate. nothing more.

36 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Just FYI, that $10 per day plan does not cover any usage on the cruise ship, only at port stops. 

Oh yes I know.  It wasn't for usage on the ship, it was for usage once I got off at ports; but only if necessary.   Way back in the day, early 90's I went on a cruise ship,  pulled a slot 3 times and won about $230.  I was so excited, I used my cell phone to call home to inform my mom and that 2 minute phone call cost me $8.   So ever since then I've known not to use a cell phone while on board a ship.

36 minutes ago, Virtopia said:

I work for a wireless company.

If it connects to voicemail, it will be considered 1 minute of usage.

Depending on your Crown & Anchor level, it may be cheaper to use the ship phone. 

How about if you set the cell number to go to voicemail immediately?  Do we still get charged?

43 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

On my Verizon plan...it covers a per-day use (including WIFI calls to and from the ship). We've used it several times.

8 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

How about if you set the cell number to go to voicemail immediately?  Do we still get charged?

No one can tell you that for sure. Whether or not you get charged totally depends on whether the roaming carrier (in this case, cellular at sea) reports charges to your carrier. In my experience, the longer a call rings, the greater the chance of getting charged. Any call that goes directly to voicemail shouldn’t be charged, but no guarantee. Just FYI, my experience includes many overseas trips, cruises and 16 years working at ATT.

2 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

No one can tell you that for sure. Whether or not you get charged totally depends on whether the roaming carrier (in this case, cellular at sea) reports charges to your carrier. In my experience, the longer a call rings, the greater the chance of getting charged. Any call that goes directly to voicemail shouldn’t be charged, but no guarantee. Just FYI, my experience includes many overseas trips, cruises and 16 years working at ATT.

Appreciate the info.