Cancelled Cuba Port????

lele100

I read on John Heald's page today someone posted that some cruises going to Cuba have had the port (Cuba) cancelled and are now going to another port,  Has anyone heard of this and do you know which sailings this effects?

IMG_1089.PNG

IMG_1090.PNG

2 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

This is scaring me because I have a Cuba booked for next year.  it still says cuba in my cruise manager, so I hope they aren't going to cancel it.  it's literally the only reason I booked that cruise

We all know that ports can be changed or canceled for any number of reasons.

31 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Yes, but this is different, because it is actually categorized as a Cuba Cruise, just like if you search for a caribbean cruise and then it doesn't go to the caribbean, plus they usually do not allow you to cancel and get your money back, if a port is cancelled I don't think, but in this case they do

• Like 2

I'm booked on a B2B with the first leg going to Cuba in Nov 2020 as well. While any cruise is good to me it is the only reason I booked that particular cruise. I sure hope they get the pier repairs done before Nov. So far no cancellations but it is good to know you'd get your money back as I paid $338 more for that one as the one immediately after and the only difference is the port. Cuba is a destination not just a port. 

• Like 1

And we paid more for a Cuba cruise than a Bahamas cruise. Another poster mentioned $200pp more. I didn't look into that but I do know it was more when I booked my 6/22/20 Cuba cruise. Anyway, looks like maybe June and July itins were changed. Letter from CCL said due to port congestion but on FB they said port was closing for repairs. I booked past guest rate and was able to cancel, thank goodness. I will always book past guest rate for here on out. It is better to pay that little bit more and have the ability to cancel, IMO. SIL also was booked but ES rate. She had trouble cancelling without penalty but they finally did it for her.  Changing fro Cuba to Nassau is a big deal. 

Edited by laumicmah
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

totally different when you specifically call something a Cuba Cruise.   and sell it for cuba prices. it's not like a hurricane rolling through at the last minute. I think you realize this is a different and unfortunate situation.  it's not like missing Grand Cayman.

2 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

This is scaring me because I have a Cuba booked for next year.  it still says cuba in my cruise manager, so I hope they aren't going to cancel it.  it's literally the only reason I booked that cruise

Our October 2020 Sunshine stills shows Key West and Cuba ... keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Just now, summersigh said:

Our October 2020 Sunshine stills shows Key West and Cuba ... keeping my fingers crossed.

mine still shows cuba too. hopefully they'll get it all worked out.  fingers crossed for sure.

• Like 1

ook

24 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

totally different when you specifically call something a Cuba Cruise.   and sell it for cuba prices. it's not like a hurricane rolling through at the last minute. I think you realize this is a different and unfortunate situation.  it's not like missing Grand Cayman.

We agree - Cuba was the only reason we choose to book this cruise.... so far we're still ok for Oct 2020

• Like 2

Last year when we visited Cuba, I definitely noticed some deterioration in the pier exterior with an adjacent pier that looked non functional. Perhaps they are becoming unsafe. 

I would also pursue a refund, since this truly is a destination not just a port of call.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Yes but I booked for Cuba not to go on a carnival cruise.ill stay home and wait on my msc cruise to come up if Cuba isn't available I don't care to go to Bahamas a third time.

8 hours ago, lele100 said:

Yes, but this is different, because it is actually categorized as a Cuba Cruise, just like if you search for a caribbean cruise and then it doesn't go to the caribbean, plus they usually do not allow you to cancel and get your money back, if a port is cancelled I don't think, but in this case they do

I'm sure if granny booked an Alaskan cruise shed be just happy stopping only in Vancouver....

33 minutes ago, coevan said:

anyone have an article on the pier work in Havana? 

No, but I had posted on FB page for JH and he, or someone from his office, replied that the itin changed due to port closing for repairs. Though they also emailed me a letter stating itin changed due to port congestion. I see on some port schedule sites that 2-3 ships do dock in Cuba (2019 has 2-3 ships docking at times) so maybe they are repairing 1-2 slips and only have a slip for 1 ship. Because the schedules only show 1 ship at a time in June-July 2020.

10 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

As far as the ticket contract is concerned, it is exactly the same.